One Synth Challenge #96: Nabla by Full Bucket (Voting Over)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nabla

] Peter:H [ wrote:Hi Guys,

thinking of taking part in this months OSC, but I'm not quite sure which FX are allowed and which not.

1.) Is for instance a moderate Distortion Effect allowed? It's a grey zone, I'd say. Yes, it alters the sound but the sound would be still recognizable if the amount of Distortion is only small.

2.) I could try to do my own multiband fx - primary for the reason of not being allowed to use meldaproduction stuff - with using a lot of tracks, EQs and FX and using Cubase Pro 9 new "Frequency" EQ. Is it possible to use DAW Pro Version Plugins, like the "Frequency EQ"? I'd say yes because the rules state "Most Native DAW effects may be used" but a bullet point later it reads "effects must be easily available freeware 3rd party effects"?

Looking forward to getting a bit of assistance on that topic!

Cheers
] Peter:H [
Hi Peter,

Welcome aboard.
All FX mentioned are fine.
FX that come with your DAW are indeed OK. As long as you don't use chorus and flanger types of FX.
Melda has a free plugin bundle, these are OK to use.

If you still have doubts about a certain plugin, ask here in the thread, drop by in the slack channel or send our 'headmaster' bjporter a pm.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask support, advice and review. You'll find lots of people are more than willing to help a fellow osc-er get the best out of him/herself.

Cheers Rob

rghvdberg wrote:
[...]
All FX mentioned are fine.
FX that come with your DAW are indeed OK. As long as you don't use chorus and flanger types of FX.
Melda has a free plugin bundle, these are OK to use.

If you still have doubts about a certain plugin, ask here in the thread, drop by in the slack channel or send our 'headmaster' bjporter a pm.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask support, advice and review. You'll find lots of people are more than willing to help a fellow osc-er get the best out of him/herself.

Cheers Rob
Thanks Rob for your fast reply!
Good to see that the rules offer some room for experiments, rathern than being to strict...

EDIT: Removed Link to previous version, find link to current soundcloud version below.

Regards
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I fear if we get too strict we'd end up with bad sounding music.Nobody wants that!
This is more of a self policing community than a strictly ruled competition.

It's called One Synth Challenge .. not Competition ;-)

But, there are prizes to be won and getting a good rank is pretty awesome :hihi:

Rob

Anyone else having issues with sub-bass staying in tune?
I'm having trouble with F2 and below starting sharp enough for me to hear and then quickly drifts a touch flat. So adjusting tune/tone whatever that little knob is called just makes the flat end worse. Two tuner plug-ins confirm what I'm hearing.
Automating that by hand is not looking fun. So I'm hoping someone knows how I might fix it easier. :)
The patch isn't much past init, the wheels are off, all switches that can have an off setting are set there. Vibrato and speed are zero and I'm not using any DAW modulation on anything.

Thanks
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline wrote:Anyone else having issues with sub-bass staying in tune?
I'm having trouble with F2 and below starting sharp enough for me to hear and then quickly drifts a touch flat. So adjusting tune/tone whatever that little knob is called just makes the flat end worse. Two tuner plug-ins confirm what I'm hearing.
Automating that by hand is not looking fun. So I'm hoping someone knows how I might fix it easier. :)
The patch isn't much past init, the wheels are off, all switches that can have an off setting are set there. Vibrato and speed are zero and I'm not using any DAW modulation on anything.

Thanks
There seems to be some sort of built in "drift". I'm having problems getting a consistent kick. Although in my case it's not the pitch but the volume. There seems to be something oscillating somewhere I can't find. I'm guessing it's what creates it's beautiful analogue sound though, so I'm not complaining. :D

https://soundcloud.com/antti-luode/aluode-1979

My entry..

8 instances of Nabla. .

It uses fruity fast dist on the main arp and there is one instance of grossbeat
on the string to pump volume.. Also a few limiters and effectors as reverbs.

The flp is at: (12 aluode 1979.zip)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... kVvUnFPMkk

Can you send me the patch you're using? I tried to reproduce the effect here with version 1.1.0 but could find anything... Tuning does not (and shouldn't :P) drift.

@aluode: Love your track, so beautiful, made my day! :oops:

Cheers, Björn

I am designing sounds for Nabla. I am facing some issues due to lack of experience.

Can I kindly request forum members to help me with answer to following four queries...? :help:

If not specific to FL Studio, generalized solution may be given.

1. I do not have midi controller. I always create sound and music using laptop keyboard and piano-roll of DAW.

So, is there any practical way to use "joywheels" section knobs of Nabla effectively.

2. Almost all of us know that best way to make good kick is use of pitch envelope.

Nabla directly not not have pitch envelope, as far as I could find after playing with it for a couple hours and reading available manual.

So, is there any way to create fake pitch envelope using DAW to create good kick sound...?

3. In FL Studio, there is "Envelope Controller".
I have googled. I have YouTubed. I am aware of its basic usage. E.g., creating LFO and Envelopes of any VST parameter.

But, I am not able to effectively create pitch envelope using envelope controller.

So, my query is first of all, is it possible to create pitch envelope using "envelope controller"..? It may be possible by assigning a DAW internal controller of "envelope controller" to channel pitch knob.

I hope it is allowed as per OSC rules. If yes, please .. Can anybody help to create it for Nabla. I tried but, I am not getting the result.

4. Do we have any control on note velocity for sound coming out of Nabla..? I am looking for it to create organic percussion or hi-hats/cymbals loops by modifying note velocity.

If not, is there any way to have control on note velocity for such scenarios when a synth do not have native control for it...?

Thanks in adavce for the help. :hail:

Regards,
Dee.P.Tree :)

Dee.P.Tree wrote: So, is there any way to create fake pitch envelope using DAW to create good kick sound...?

3. In FL Studio, there is "Envelope Controller".
I have googled. I have YouTubed. I am aware of its basic usage. E.g., creating LFO and Envelopes of any VST parameter.

But, I am not able to effectively create pitch envelope using envelope controller.

So, my query is first of all, is it possible to create pitch envelope using "envelope controller"..? It may be possible by assigning a DAW internal controller of "envelope controller" to channel pitch knob.

I hope it is allowed as per OSC rules. If yes, please .. Can anybody help to create it for Nabla. I tried but, I am not getting the result.
Pitch bend seems to be the only way.
Here's how I have it for now.
Selectie_130.png
Make sure FM Depth is set to max right and the switch is set to on.
My basic kick patch.
kick1_nabla.png
4. Do we have any control on note velocity for sound coming out of Nabla..? I am looking for it to create organic percussion or hi-hats/cymbals loops by modifying note velocity.

If not, is there any way to have control on note velocity for such scenarios when a synth do not have native control for it...?

Thanks in adavce for the help. :hail:

Regards,
Nabla isn't 'velocity responsive' as far as I figured out.
Maybe you could some sort of midi plugin that converts the velocity value to something else like cc7 or maybe the volume paramater of nabla.
I don't use FL studio so I'm not sure what is in there to do this trick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dee.P.Tree wrote: So, is there any way to create fake pitch envelope using DAW to create good kick sound...?

Thanks in advance for the help. :hail:

Regards,
Here is a flp where I use the Pitch in FLStudio to bend Nabla.
Maybe use it as a starting point 8)
KickPitchNabla.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey guys,

don't know why this synth got me hooked. Probably it's the reduction to the essential...
Find the current version of my track "] OSC : 96 [" now on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc96

As I plan not to invest enormous amounts of time to fiddle with the synth to create fancy new patches, my track is based on mostly presets which have been tweaked a bit only...except for the Percussion which I built myself.
The rest is just FX of Cubase 9 Pro and some MeldaProduction. I will add the list and numbers with my final submission. I have to cut the low end a bit...weird...I feel the bass go louder after uploading to soundcloud

For the Drums: It's essential to get only the essentials from Nabal then you can carve out the final sound by adding the usual FX suspects...EnvelopeShaper.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to getting some thoughts about my track from you guys. What do you think?

Regards

Thanks, Yeager and rghvdberg for the help. I'll follow your help in this week.

Full Bucket wrote:
Can you send me the patch you're using? I tried to reproduce the effect here with version 1.1.0 but could find anything... Tuning does not (and shouldn't :P) drift.
Just a follow up with this.
I sent the fxp and got back some really helpful feedback via PM with Björn.
At their suggestion I played a bit with the hidden parameters because I was adding just a touch of the string ensemble to give my sub a bit of texture.
Lowering the values to minimum for Ens1 Dly and Ens2 Dly totally cleared up the pitch drift I was seeing/hearing. Now the pitch is rock solid even with the strings being brought up to full.
And just playing with those two parameters produces some very interesting possibilities that I plan to explore further.
So a big thank you to Björn. A true gem of a dev. :tu:
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

] Peter:H [ wrote: As I plan not to invest enormous amounts of time to fiddle with the synth
This plan will fail :lol:

made something imaginative, something kinda cool and weird.. but I'm not sure if I will get myself to finish it since I'm worried that other people will find it to be repugnant (because of the unusual style), this is a lack of self esteem I have when I try to be experimental

Return to “Instruments”