How many synths do you need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stoopicus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm
roman.i wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:30 pm 3-4 different synths to have a variety of colors.
Or just Pigments to get all the colors (some you didn't even know existed) in one UI.
Nah, you do not. It has a single unique color.

Hundreds. Analog, virtual, vst, vintage, romplers, all all. The more the happiest.

:tu:

none but i already have way more than that lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

roman.i wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:29 pm
stoopicus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm
roman.i wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:30 pm 3-4 different synths to have a variety of colors.
Or just Pigments to get all the colors (some you didn't even know existed) in one UI.
Nah, you do not. It has a single unique color.
Ahh, so you are saying it's actually "Pigment".

Everything depends on how you like to compose/work.
A friend has just a couple of synths, knows them inside out and loves to tweak the day away:) And does wonderful things:)
I have way too many synths, a couple or three go to’s and tons that I just used a few times. But each time I get something new, it’s newness inspires me to create something, mostly whilst doodling with the thing. That’s the fun thing for me, that serendipitous moment where you hear a sound and something goes “Aha”.
Each synth has brought something to the table.
Once again…Horses for courses:)

So I added Dexed and Tunefish-4 to have FM and additive as options.

Like a lot of people, I just preset browse on Dexed. OTOH, I'm having some fun playing with Tunefish. Definitely getting some different sounds than with the subtractive synths.

And continuing to learn Vital.

stoopicus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 am
Ahh, so you are saying it's actually "Pigment".
Yeap.
One can draw a monochrome painting,
but it's more of a niche or a challenge.
Not a mainstream.
Same with music.

Actual synths, I honestly use - on a regular basis - a grand total of 3. And really, could get away with 2.

Other than that, software-wise, it’s mostly drums and classic keys (Pianoteq and Analog Labs).

Actually use for me would be maybe four; Phase Plant, SQ-80 V, Pigments and a three way tie between Jupiter, Juno, and Prophet V. But that would be like 80%/10%/5%/5%.

Not counting drums of course.

kelvyn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:52 am Everything depends on how you like to compose/work.
This. If you don't find sound design interesting then don't bother with that and grab as many synths and sounds as you can keep somewhat organized (if you enjoy sound design you will probably end up with an endless list of synths anyway but that's another topic). This is obviously mainly a synth forum though so naturally there are plenty of people here who take pride in their ability to start from scratch in a synth. I've come to realize i'm almost completely indifferent to that aspect of music production though.

Well ,I am not a Arturia fanboy but their V-collection is a brilliant selection of every sound and synth you will probably ever need ,i think the majority of KVR members would agree that it covers most ground for every genre since the 70,s and ambient is covered very well
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

3 is my magic number for synths.
Extras: Pianoteq, Microtonic and Kick 2.

Zebra 3 will break the rule.
MuLab of course :D

not much, but let me be clear: no NI synths,
rather Arturia synths, U-he synths, GForce synths, Spectrasonics synths and such synth legends like Sylenth v3 or the upcoming Albino 3 legend.

Brian Eno had 7 DX7 at some time, which explains a lot.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Explains why his music was tedious to the power 7?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”