Zebralette 3 Public Beta Announcement (Revision 15573)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

Urs wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm
surreal wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:38 pm Hi Urs can you please impliment one Analogue multimode filter in Zebralette3 outside the oscillator fx.. I noticed in the video that even you searched for an outside filter before you clicked the oscillator's drop down fx.. itwill improve the work flow tremendously! Also the scope that you demoed that can also possibly render to wave tables.. is that gonning to be a free seperate plugin?
There'll be a filter in the not-freeware-version... that's the whole point of Zebralette: Make people want to buy the full version. Therefore we'd shoot our own foot if we put a filter into Zebralette.

The oscilloscope currently is something we only use for ourselves, mostly for debugging purpose. Whether or not we release it, and if we do, whether or not it will be freeware depends on where we go with it. There's a good chance we simply bundle it with, say, Hive 2 and/or Zebra 3 since it's going to possibly create wavetables for them. In any case, making the oscilloscope competitive to alternatives on the market beyond look and feel would be a lot of work, and I don't think we'd do that for free unless there's a compelling argument for that.
Thanks Urs for your reply!, greatly appreciated!

Urs wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm The oscilloscope currently is something we only use for ourselves, mostly for debugging purpose. Whether or not we release it, and if we do, whether or not it will be freeware depends on where we go with it. There's a good chance we simply bundle it with, say, Hive 2 and/or Zebra 3 since it's going to possibly create wavetables for them.
Urs the UScope looks very useful, and the fact you use it internally must mean it is. I would love to see it it released, paid for or bundled; whatever makes sense to you. If it were to have selectable resolutions, great! And selectable x-axis scale (toggle between log and lin), fantastic!

Urscope

Urs wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm In any case, making the oscilloscope competitive to alternatives on the market beyond look and feel would be a lot of work, and I don't think we'd do that for free unless there's a compelling argument for that.
Let me advocate for the position of, "any new plugins that are 'a lot of work' and not named Zebralette, Zebra3, Uhbik, or Diva 2 [ok, you've never announced this but I can dream right?] can and should sit on the back burner for a while". New plugins seem to take a heck of a long time and a lot of resources to develop and get into a polished state, and a U-he oscilloscope plugin just doesn't need to take focus away from other things IMO. Just my friendly customer perspective. May make you want to do an oscilloscope even more! :hihi:

One of my most successful projects was an Ad Campaign that I did for a client that the jingle was exceedingly popular throughout the Caribbean, they won a lot of awards and the press and people in general commented a lot about how good it was.
Five years later they wanted me to do a new campaign for them.
It was the hardest campaign I ever had to do. Why? I put a lot of pressure on myself. It had to be better, more popular, more award winning that the previous one, in my mind.

I think Urs may be suffering from a bit of this in Zebra 3...

(my guess anyway).

rsp
sound sculptist

Well, the oscilloscope (and a separate analyser) has been used for years by me, but it had an ugly makeshift design. I just got our designer on the case, merged the analyser into it and did a few touch-ups. I also use it for a lot of micro-development tasks such as display lists of values, display (and play back) samples or export samples.

I need it a lot during the current phase of Zebra 3 development, and every now and then I simply add some new functionality. Like, retroactively removing the phase shift artefacts in samples from highpass filters in analogue synths is something I don't think any other tool provides for, and it's utterly necessary for my work.

I guess we're a bit proud of it for the things it does very well, and we're trying to figure out if it should go somewhere.

I know it's a bit off topic, but @Urs: What do you think of ARM now coming so prominently to Windows devices? Is this something you would consider supporting, like M1 support for Apple? Would that be easier now, since you already can do ARM in general?

(No expectation here, just wondering..)
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Nothing against it. I'll let my Win based team try to figure that out.

Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but with Zebra 3 read Zebralette 3 presets?
rsp
sound sculptist

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:16 pm
Let me advocate for the position of, "any new plugins that are 'a lot of work' and not named Zebralette, Zebra3, Uhbik, or Diva 2 [ok, you've never announced this but I can dream right?] can and should sit on the back burner for a while".
I'll narrow that down... any one not named Zebralette 3 or Zebra 3 can wait. :hihi:

The Z3 oscillator is so freakin amazing!

zvenx wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:53 pm Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but with Zebra 3 read Zebralette 3 presets?
rsp
I'm quite positive about that 8)

• The oscillator module alone is a world of its own, with a spline based wavetable editor at its core, up to sixteen wavetable snapshots featuring a variety of morphing options, two oscillator effect slots with over twenty effects to choose from, and an audio engine switchable between wavetable and additive synthesis.

Just made a few presets of synthetic bells more or less from scratch, though to be honest did not by laziness read the user manual yet,( please don't repeat it ??? :oops: ) just based on my overall experience in creating presets ...I'm absolutely amazed on its quality and versatility of this synthesizer,

:o :tu:

...an absolute steal considering it's free !!

Great. Thanks
rsp
Urs wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:43 am
zvenx wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:53 pm Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but with Zebra 3 read Zebralette 3 presets?
rsp
I'm quite positive about that 8)
sound sculptist

Urs wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 pm Well, the oscilloscope (and a separate analyser) has been used for years by me, but it had an ugly makeshift design. I just got our designer on the case, merged the analyser into it and did a few touch-ups. I also use it for a lot of micro-development tasks such as display lists of values, display (and play back) samples or export samples.

I need it a lot during the current phase of Zebra 3 development, and every now and then I simply add some new functionality. Like, retroactively removing the phase shift artefacts in samples from highpass filters in analogue synths is something I don't think any other tool provides for, and it's utterly necessary for my work.

I guess we're a bit proud of it for the things it does very well, and we're trying to figure out if it should go somewhere.
Definitely should. Totally makes sense. Just based on past experience, it will likely take way more time and effort than expected and other unexpected things will come up. So try to release it at some point. AFTER Z3. Or DIVA 2. :wink: Before that and it's just asking for trouble. :-P

vs. feature requests for ZL3,....add a 2nd VCO ?....add a VCF ?

Why not release a ZL3-plus, or a Zebra3-Mini/micro for a -for both sides- fair price ?
I mean ZL is so amazing.

I find this a good idea. ;)

(from an outsiders perspective / not having anything a closer insight)

Return to “u-he”