TAL Sampler

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Sampler

New Black + Green / Blue design reminds me MKS-70, SDE-1000 :)

confession -
Most time I only use LayerA + Amp ADSR + ReSampler + Mono/Poly in TAL-Sampler. I have wished for TAL-Sampler-Mini with simple 1 page GUI :hihi:

Tal-Sampler moved closer to Tal-Drums with this update, so the GUI update might be understandable. However, the chorus effect with the on/off switch seems somehow like a half solution to me.

Some lighter colors for the new GUI:
(I had to ZIP the colour file in order to add it as an attachment here, so please unzip before trying to load it into TAL-sampler).

EDIT: slightly updated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fladd on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DNnX wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:30 pm confession -
Most time I only use LayerA + Amp ADSR + ReSampler + Mono/Poly in TAL-Sampler. I have wished for TAL-Sampler-Mini with simple 1 page GUI :hihi:
That's a really cool idea, I'll pass it on :)
Pillimees wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:15 pm Tal-Sampler moved closer to Tal-Drums with this update, so the GUI update might be understandable. However, the chorus effect with the on/off switch seems somehow like a half solution to me.
There is more to come for this area so expect some developments and additions that didn't make the first release version. How do you feel about more fx being added to Sampler (and potentially other instruments in the range), any ideas that would be a good fit?
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:18 pm

There is more to come for this area so expect some developments and additions that didn't make the first release version. How do you feel about more fx being added to Sampler (and potentially other instruments in the range), any ideas that would be a good fit?
Do you speak for TAL software?

I of course can't say if he does, and I know I don't, but indeed I do know that part of the reorganization of the GUI elements is to allow more features.
rsp
sound sculptist

Very comfortable and fast sampler to use: too bad the limit of polyphony to only 12 voices max

zvenx wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:59 pm I of course can't say if he does, and I know I don't, but indeed I do know that part of the reorganization of the GUI elements is to allow more features.
rsp
New features doesn't help when the workflow is so broken that you don't want to use it at all. Just saying. :roll:

I don't mind the new GUI, but it would be nice to not have to open the tab to see if the effect is on or off. And one more thing, here is "Load Default Preset" in the Startup menu, but how can I set this default preset?

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:58 pm
yes, I've done testing and sound design for TAL for a long time and become more involved in other things for the last 6 months or so. Patrick doesn't always have time to comment here so if I'm able to I will and I'll pass on any questions or suggestions that need to be.
Pillimees wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:56 pm I don't mind the new GUI, but it would be nice to not have to open the tab to see if the effect is on or off. And one more thing, here is "Load Default Preset" in the Startup menu, but how can I set this default preset?
Yeah good point on the on/off indication, I'll pass that on. Seems like the "set default preset" has disappeared, I'll pass that on too :) Thanks.
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

EmptyVessel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:01 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:58 pm
yes, I've done testing and sound design for TAL for a long time and become more involved in other things for the last 6 months or so. Patrick doesn't always have time to comment here so if I'm able to I will and I'll pass on any questions or suggestions that need to be.
Could you forward the whole thread to him?

It's really that bad that I think TAL Samplers appeal is unfortunately destroyed with this update. It's not just moaning, I can't see myself using this version.

And that's the last thing I want. I love TAL and especially the workflow of the older versions.

When I want features and a bad workflow I can take Kontakt. And 90% of the time I don't need more than TAL sampler has. TAL sampler USP was in my opinion about fast workflow, great overview and vintage modelling per voice.

Although there aren't many new features people can still configure v4 similarly to v3. The browser window can be opened or closed. The theme fladd posted is a real nice update to v4. If you don't like v4 so far I'm sure v4.5 is the one for you I suppose.

midi_transmission wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 pm

It's really that bad that I think TAL Samplers appeal is unfortunately destroyed with this update. It's not just moaning.
Yeah of course, no worries. I've been passing on points as they've been made as long as they're made constructively and I've passed on the full thread. I've used TAL Sampler since early betas and made many expansions for it and I agree it's a big change and the tabbed interface can feel less immediate in some respects but there were many reasons for the changes. The plugin is now easier to expand and update and I certainly appreciate knowing, with that, should come more features more regularly. I think it's pretty cool that an indie dev is still updating and enhancing what is now a 6-7 year old plugin, and not charging for that.
With respect, I think destroyed is a strong word. I've used Kontakt quite a bit too and I really dislike how clumsy the interface and workflow feel. I still feel even with the changes that TAL Sampler is massively quicker and a much smoother experience. Hopefully we can work through this and get a plugin that everyone is happy with.
emptyvessel

fladd wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:18 pm Some lighter colors for the new GUI:
(I had to ZIP the colour file in order to add it as an attachment here, so please unzip before trying to load it into TAL-sampler).
Nice. Reminds me of Waldorf Largo’s color scheme. Love it.

EmptyVessel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:54 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 pm

It's really that bad that I think TAL Samplers appeal is unfortunately destroyed with this update. It's not just moaning.
Yeah of course, no worries. I've been passing on points as they've been made as long as they're made constructively and I've passed on the full thread. I've used TAL Sampler since early betas and made many expansions for it and I agree it's a big change and the tabbed interface can feel less immediate in some respects but there were many reasons for the changes. The plugin is now easier to expand and update and I certainly appreciate knowing, with that, should come more features more regularly. I think it's pretty cool that an indie dev is still updating and enhancing what is now a 6-7 year old plugin, and not charging for that.
With respect, I think destroyed is a strong word. I've used Kontakt quite a bit too and I really dislike how clumsy the interface and workflow feel. I still feel even with the changes that TAL Sampler is massively quicker and a much smoother experience. Hopefully we can work through this and get a plugin that everyone is happy with.
Unfortunately destroyed is the right word. I appreciate the updates 6-7 after release a lot technically, but this one changes the whole product to something I don't like using and has too many obvious downsides. I would not buy it again. I mean this without any offence as someone who likes TAL sampler.

With all due respect. The old U-NO-LX looks more modern, better made and is better to use than the current TAL sampler. It's a great and unique looking design. In my opinion TAL is on the wrong path in terms of ui design. The last TAL sampler ui update before this one was not great either as it removed a lot of clarity due to removed color coding and a less elegant look. I'm wondering if there is a wrongly understood minimalistic mantra involved? Before that I always thought TAL has great ui's.

And even the minimalistic TAL-MOD is a lot better than the Sampler ui.
Last edited by midi_transmission on Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”