Synthmaster One?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthMaster One

zvenx wrote:with Legato on? that wasn't a mistake?
ok then.... Geoff? :-)

Really curious to hear your thought process on the matter.
rsp
To me a pad doesn't have to be polyphonic, it can be a single layer texture.

If the general consensus is that you'd rather the description be altered then so be it, but those particular sounds wouldn't work as leads......in my opinion! 8)

tehlord wrote:
zvenx wrote:with Legato on? that wasn't a mistake?
ok then.... Geoff? :-)

Really curious to hear your thought process on the matter.
rsp
To me a pad doesn't have to be polyphonic, it can be a single layer texture.

If the general consensus is that you'd rather the description be altered then so be it, but those particular sounds wouldn't work as leads......in my opinion! 8)

I of course disagree :-). I at least appreciate a response on your thought process.
Maybe another category then? Textures? I know spectrasoncis and fxpansion have texture categories that may be more accurate.

A Pad to me by definition must be polyphonic (http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... pad-sounds, http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/the- ... -pad/36436), but I am not sure two people are a consensus.
Or maybe put them as synths?
is there any other factory bank that does include monophonic pads out of curiosity?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

I don't know if other synth soundsets have comparable attribute settings, but I do agree that the perception could be that a pad would be a polyphonic sound.

Having an extra 'texture' instrument type would be a good solution (as Omnisphere for example) as I cannot think of another description that better fits the presets in question than a monophonic pad! :)

Soundscape?

Just spoke to three sound designer pals, and we're all in agreement that a pad sound can be monophonic.

Ultimately it's the end user that utilises the browser though, so if it needs to be altered then so be it. :)

tehlord wrote:Just spoke to three sound designer pals, and we're all in agreement that a pad sound can be monophonic.

Ultimately it's the end user that utilises the browser though, so if it needs to be altered then so be it. :)
This is especially true in pad sounds in Repro-1 and Monark. :hihi:
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

tehlord wrote:Just spoke to three sound designer pals, and we're all in agreement that a pad sound can be monophonic.

yeah yeah and some soudn designers don't think pitch bends are for pitching :-)
Interesting, what makes it a pad then?
(not arguing just curious)
To me it becomes a very slippery slope quickly.
If I have two oscillators and detune one by a fifth,does any such sound then become pads?
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

egbert101 wrote:

This is especially true in pad sounds in Repro-1 and Monark. :hihi:
:-)
I note that Repro-1 has a Chord category in the factory bank, which to me is 'legal'.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:

Interesting, what makes it a pad then?
(not arguing just curious)
To me it becomes a very slippery slope quickly.
If I have two oscillators and detune one by a fifth,does any such sound then become pads?
rsp
To me it's a melodic background or textural part that isn't a lead, bass, pluck etc.

I don't think there's a cut and dry answer or definition.

What do others think?

I played back the ones I took the screenshot in the previous page, awhile ago and sorry for me none of them are pads, more leads.

I feel strongly about this, it diminishes the usefulness of search by categories, but this isn't a synth made solely for me :-), and if it is just me and one other, then fine, leave as is.

So far the only other pad patches I found in other synths that are monophonic are in synthmaster and most of them you did too :-)......

What do others think?
rsp
sound sculptist

Pad
A category of synthesizer patches which produce a soft, pleasing sound. The pad sound is difficult to describe as it is unlike anything produced by any traditional instrument, but an approximation would be massed string instruments, played very softly so that most of the high-frequency content is eliminated. Usually the pad patch is set up with a slow attack and slow release, which along with the basic timbre produces an ethereal effect when block chords are played. Pad sounds can become an obsession, to the point where performers sometimes do little of anything else.
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Pad
I see nothing wrong with that definition, and there is no reason to confine pads to polyphony or chords.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

I wouldn't say that a pad by definition HAS to be polyphonic. I don't think there's much of a point actually playing pads monophonically, though.

egbert101 wrote:
Pad
A category of synthesizer patches which produce a soft, pleasing sound. The pad sound is difficult to describe as it is unlike anything produced by any traditional instrument, but an approximation would be massed string instruments, played very softly so that most of the high-frequency content is eliminated. Usually the pad patch is set up with a slow attack and slow release, which along with the basic timbre produces an ethereal effect when block chords are played. Pad sounds can become an obsession, to the point where performers sometimes do little of anything else.
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Pad
I see nothing wrong with that definition, and there is no reason to confine pads to polyphony or chords.
ok. even though that definition does speak of chords.... I guess you will argue usually vs always...
ok
rsp
sound sculptist

chk071 wrote:I wouldn't say that a pad by definition HAS to be polyphonic. I don't think there's much of a point actually playing pads monophonically, though.
I agree, unless the pad was itself a chord. Hence why many of us complain to those who make strictly monophonic soft synth emulations, when they can easily add a polyphonic option. :hihi:

Seems to be just me, so as we were :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: ok. even though that definition does speak of chords.... I guess you will argue usually vs always...
ok
rsp
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”