Spectra v1.01 Public Beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TotcProductions wrote:
pethu wrote:
* energyXT 1.3.0: Does not work, neither live nor played from sequencer.
You should update to the latest version of energyXT before posting issues spectra has in ext. the latest fully released version is 1.3.6. 8)
No, I'm still stating a valid fact. It doesn't work in 1.3.0. (By the way, it doesn't work in 1.3.6 either in exactly the same way.)
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

pethu wrote:
TotcProductions wrote:
pethu wrote:
You should update to the latest version of energyXT before posting issues spectra has in ext. the latest fully released version is 1.3.6. 8)
No, I'm still stating a valid fact. It doesn't work in 1.3.0. (By the way, it doesn't work in 1.3.6 either in exactly the same way.)
That's fine. I wasn't slamming you. It's just that everything should be up to date when testing a beta version of a plug. :)

peace
frank. 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

pethu wrote:OK, I've done some more testing re the sustain pedal problem. Here's the status on my machine:

* Tobybear's MiniHost 1.64: Sustain works!! :party: :band: :hyper: :hail:

* Tracktion 2.0.2.8: Does not work "live" (i.e. playing from keyboard with end-to-end enabled), but works when playing back the exact same data from the sequencer.

I just tried in energyXT and it works perfectly. I have tried with all kinds of latency in the audio card and done alot of experiments; I can not recreate this at all.

ugo wrote:not sure if this has been mentioned yet, and i havent tried the beta yet either, but in v1.0 the bpm division knob for the delay is setup in the reverse of the other bpm division controls.

on the delay, left is fast and right is slow. on everything else, its the opposite. it works fine and displays correctly, its just an inconsistancy i noticed.

-ugo
That’s the nature of delay vs. frequency (when one goes up the other goes down). If the delay time signature was to behave the same way as LFO frequency you would have shorter delay time when you increased the knob position (I think that would confuse people ;))

Torben

Torben wrote:That’s the nature of delay vs. frequency (when one goes up the other goes down). If the delay time signature was to behave the same way as LFO frequency you would have shorter delay time when you increased the knob position (I think that would confuse people ;))
good point. i guess its just how different people view things. i think of both in terms of speed instead. slower delay > faster delay / slower lfo > faster lfo. :)

-ugo

Torben wrote:
pethu wrote:OK, I've done some more testing re the sustain pedal problem. Here's the status on my machine:

* Tobybear's MiniHost 1.64: Sustain works!! :party: :band: :hyper: :hail:

* Tracktion 2.0.2.8: Does not work "live" (i.e. playing from keyboard with end-to-end enabled), but works when playing back the exact same data from the sequencer.

I just tried in energyXT and it works perfectly. I have tried with all kinds of latency in the audio card and done alot of experiments; I can not recreate this at all.

Torben
Curiouser and curiouser... It kind of made more sense before I tried MiniHost, because at least I had it consistently NOT working properly across hosts!... :?

I'll try to think of anything else that may shed some more light, but I'm pretty stumped right now too...
pethu.se/music-releases

Torben wrote:
soundpalace wrote:to be honest, it's any project I make. I'll give you the steps I used to create the issue...

1. Start a new Project
2. Add a Spectra, set Waveform = Sawtooth
3. Go to start of song, hit record
4. Play some notes with my midi keyboard (dont use sustain pedal)
5. Press stop
6. Move to beginning of song
7. Press Play

All that was in that project was a Spectra as I was testing it further. It seems that Markleford is experiencing the issue too.

If you still can't reproduce it with the steps I have outlined above, I'll be happy to send over a project file Torben :D

Cheers
Fots
I have tried this now and it works like a charm. I feel I have been on a wild goose chase for more than a working day now. It seems to be a rare problem that must be related to host / host setting and / or hardware. I can not recreate the problem and I can not fully picture the problem you describe; when you say there are random notes do you mean something visible on the MIDI track or just some additional notes you hear that are not present on the MIDI track? I need a project to be able to see if you got some setting that are causing the problem.

Torben
no probs, I prepare a project file for you when I Get home tonight.

Until I get back you may wish to simply insert an Arpache5 MIDI effect on the MIDI channel of Spectra and see if you get random notes thrown at you when you use it. I definitely did, but keep in mind, this did NOT happen in 1.0 so you may want to double check all changes you made to the code mate.

The sustain pedal issue is definitely a trciky one, but I have tested it with numerous other synths and all others seem to accept it except Spectra.

In Cubase the situation is similar to Tracktion, the system pedal does not work during live input, however it does work when being played back from the sequencer.

Cheers
Fots

soundpalace wrote:Until I get back you may wish to simply insert an Arpache5 MIDI effect on the MIDI channel of Spectra and see if you get random notes thrown at you when you use it. I definitely did, but keep in mind, this did NOT happen in 1.0 so you may want to double check all changes you made to the code mate.

Cheers
Fots
Arpache5 is an arpeggiator effect so of cause I get more notes, but not other vice than in any other synth.

Torben

Yes I realise it's an arpegiator, when I use it with Spectra I get many additional stuck notes along with the arpeggio while with Spectra 1.0 it doesn't do that.

The problem that I see is that if you don't experience a problem with the arpeggiator, or with playback on your system Torben, then my project will not exhibit the same behaviour on your system anyway.

I might leave this to some of the other folks to explain a bit more as I simply don't have the time at the moment. But I do promise you that there is an issue with random notes being played back in the latest beta, at least with my setup anyway.

Good luck, this is a tricky one
Fots
Last edited by fgimian on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

A new version are up now:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/archives/s ... 101pb3.exe

It does things a little differently and it clears all "hanging" MIDI events during program change. Maybe this solves some of the problems described (unfortunately I am not able to know that, as we did not have any problems on any of the systems we have tried so far).

Torben

i'll try it right now :D

Cheers
Fots

The problem is still there I'm afraid. Here is an example of what output I receive when using the arpeggiator for example...

This is with the Steinberg A1 synth (this is how we want it to sound)...

http://www.users.on.net/~djbros/ApreggioA1Synth.mp3

Here is Spectra newest beta version

http://www.users.on.net/~djbros/Appregi ... aSynth.mp3

Please note again that v1.0 of Spectra on the Kjaerhus site does not exhibit such behaviour.

Cheers
Fots

soundpalace, Under MIDI&Voices you can set the Keyboard Tracking Mode. Do you have the stucked note problem with both modes or just one of them?

Torben

Hi,

trying to narrow things down a bit re the sustain problem, so far not anything very useful:

* Tested on laptop rig. Exactly the same problems.
Laptop = XP Home, Stationary = XP Pro.

* Killed off all but essential processes, shut down
virus programs, soft firewalls... no change.

* Deinstalled Maple Virtual MIDI to get rid of
some MIDI stuff and bring the MIDI device
count down to 1. No change.

* Tried 1.01b3 (though I realise it was not meant to
do anything about this.) No change.

* Tried to run MIDI through BOME's MIDI translator
and pass it on through Maple Virtual MIDI, even
re-translating pedal events to, er, same pedal
events. No change. (Well, I got a few stuck notes
when I pounded the pedal and keyboard too
vigorously, but that was probably just MIDI
translator not keeping up... ;)

:shrug:
pethu.se/music-releases

OK, this is a test for the sustain problem. Please let me know what happens when you press and depress sustain.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/archives/s ... 101pb4.exe

Thanks
Torben

ok I'm back, sorry for the late reply. In regards to Key Assign "Mode 1" and "Mode 2", I have tested both and it appears to happen with both modes. For some reason, the problem seems to go away after playing the instrument for a few minutes. Very strange.

Using your newest beta, when I hit my sustain pedal, I get a dialog box that says Sustain: 127 (3 times) and then Sustain: 0 (3 times).

This is getting quite tricky as it seems your VSTi IS recognising the event but just not responding to it for some unknown reason.

Torben, I'd like to say that your continued effort to sort out these bugs is very impressive, I think it will be worth it in the long run to get these sorted out now anyway, nice work mate !

Cheers
Fots

Return to “Instruments”