Youlean Loudness Meter 2 - V2.5.2 - April 25, 2022 update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Youlean Loudness Meter

Dozius wrote:Took me a few minutes to realize the transport in my DAW needed to be running for the meter to start recording/displaying data. Not sure if that is intended behaviour, but it might explain the people who say the meter doesn't display anything.
Thanks for the heads up! This is indeed intended behaviour.

Spitfire31 wrote:
Dozius wrote:Took me a few minutes to realize the transport in my DAW needed to be running for the meter to start recording/displaying data. Not sure if that is intended behaviour, but it might explain the people who say the meter doesn't display anything.
Good catch! So maybe I'm a half-wit after all. ;-) Never thought of that, since the free (but somewhat crippled until bought) Melda Loudness plug doesn't require the transport to run.

I've explored some more on my travel rig (Macbook Air 2013, 8GB RAM, Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5):

Live 9.6.1:
VST works as expected (if transport runs ;-) ).
AU kills Live dead during instantiation. I can send the crash log if useful.

Logic 10.2.2:
AU works as expected.

Twisted Wave 1.17.3:
VST loads but shows no activity
AU loads and shows initial values in upper left green fields but no movement and no activity in display window. If playback is stopped and resumed, the ‘green fields’ values disappear and nothing moves.

DP 7 (32 bit only):
AU works as expected.

Studio One 3:
AU and VST work as expected.

DSP Quattro 4.4 (32 bit only):
VST loads but shows no activity.
AU throws exception and will not load.

/Joachim
Thanks for detail report! I will try to fix Ableton AU first and then I will check other DAWs.

drakmaniso wrote: Maybe the meters could work even when the transport is off, this would make it obvious that the plugin is working and that some additional step is required?
I will think about that for some future update.
drakmaniso wrote: Other than that, I really like the plugin! A few remarks:

- It seems there is no way to change the reference level of the relative scale? "Split" only changes the coloring...
- I don't think the values should reset when the transport loops, this makes it impossible to get the loudness of individual clips or loops;
- I love the histogram on the side of the graph! I would like to see the ML shown there too, as this help evaluating the dynamic of a track;
- Finally, for nitpicking about the UI: I think the interface would be easier to read with a bit of color coding: eg use green/red for ML, blue/purple for SL. The same colors should be used in the meters, the graphs and the values, this would make it easy to connect the various part of the interface.
Do you really need to change relative scale? Yes split changes only color. What did you think it should do on a first sight? What does ML stands for? Momentary loudness? If so, it is already showing it... If you think about loudness range, it will be added in the future...

loopdon wrote:Bought you balancer a while ago. Will it be a paid upgrade?
Will check this as well, your work with FL Patcher was very impressive. :)
Thanks! Upgrade to Freq-Balancer will be free for the people who already donated.

youlean wrote:Do you really need to change relative scale? Yes split changes only color. What did you think it should do on a first sight? What does ML stands for? Momentary loudness? If so, it is already showing it... If you think about loudness range, it will be added in the future...
Very few producers (I think) use -23 LUFS as reference level when mastering tracks (as opposed to broadcasting, which was the intended target of the standard). There isn't yet a definitive standard, but the value is usually between -18 and -12 LUFS. So there should be a way to change the 0 value of the relative scale, for it to be useful in this context.

Yes ML stands for momentary loudness; currently both SL and ML are shown in the horizontal graph, but not in what you call the "distribution display" (which is actually an histogram), which only shows SL afaik. Having ML there too would be useful to get a better idea of the dynamic of the track.

drakmaniso wrote: Very few producers (I think) use -23 LUFS as reference level when mastering tracks (as opposed to broadcasting, which was the intended target of the standard). There isn't yet a definitive standard, but the value is usually between -18 and -12 LUFS. So there should be a way to change the 0 value of the relative scale, for it to be useful in this context.
OK, I will probably add option to have custom offset.
drakmaniso wrote: Yes ML stands for momentary loudness; currently both SL and ML are shown in the horizontal graph, but not in what you call the "distribution display" (which is actually an histogram), which only shows SL afaik. Having ML there too would be useful to get a better idea of the dynamic of the track.
I was thinking adding this too, but I didn't have time to finish it for the KVR DC16. It will come in the future.

New version is up. I will fix reset on transport loop in the next update.

v1.0.2:
Fixed AU crash at load in Ableton Live.
Fixed true peak detection.
Fixed button that pauses integrated and loudness range measurements.

youlean wrote:New version is up. I will fix reset on transport loop in the next update.

v1.0.2:
Confirm AU works in Live 9.6 now. Thank you!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
youlean wrote:New version is up. I will fix reset on transport loop in the next update.

v1.0.2:
Confirm AU works in Live 9.6 now. Thank you!

/Joachim
No problem. If you spot some other bugs, please let me know.

Tried it in Bitwig and it behaves strangely in Elapsed and Time Code modes. System time works perfectly.
It's easy if you know how

Lesha wrote:Tried it in Bitwig and it behaves strangely in Elapsed and Time Code modes. System time works perfectly.
Can you describe more what is happening?

youlean wrote:
Lesha wrote:Tried it in Bitwig and it behaves strangely in Elapsed and Time Code modes. System time works perfectly.
It restarts measuring randomly.
It's easy if you know how

Lesha wrote:
youlean wrote:
It restarts measuring randomly.
OK, I am already working on it.

really nice plugin,any chance to be able to resize it smaller?so only the meter can be seen(hope youknow what i mean,)

S-N-S wrote:really nice plugin,any chance to be able to resize it smaller?so only the meter can be seen(hope youknow what i mean,)
Thanks! It will be, after KVR DC16 is over. (can't break the rules by adding new features) ;)

Return to “Effects”