Want to buy a warm modern analogue sounding VST, tips?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I just plain prefer the sound of the legend over diva, within the scope of what it can do.
And there's that too. Personally, I like them both. But I use them for different things. If I want a real Moog style bass line, I'm going for The Legend. If I want a Jupiter Pad, I'm going to Diva.

It's why most people here don't own just one synth. In fact, if I took a poll and asked how many people owned just one synth, I bet less than 1% of the respondents (if they're honest, cause you know how people like to just disprove a point just because) will say they own 1 synth.

To my imperfect ears, The Legend sounds fantastic. I also just love the sound of XILS plugins (take a look at the PolyKB series for one). I don't own them, but I think Diva and Bazille sound fantastic as well. Want to get something unique and still warm? Phonec2 by Psychic Modulation.

Caine123 wrote:can someone explain me what MONARK can do/has what THE LEGEND cannot do?
also what THE LEGEN can do/has what DIVA cannot do?

so far it seems DIVA isnt 100% acurate maybe 95% accurate to a Moon than The Legend + it has many many more options, so why not get/recommend just DIVA?
Hm, maybe because it becomes a bit boring when everyone recommends and uses the same synth :wink:

And maybe because there are still some people using not so powerful CPU's...

Softube modular

Repro-1, Diva, The Legend, Tal-U-No-LX

There are more but these guys keep me busy.

lennardigital sylenth1.

Fabfilter One.

It's just a one oscillator synth but sounds so good and is so much fun. Plus you can layer multiple instances in your daw and get really creative with grouping and adding effects.

A simple synth but I always have so much fun when using it.

Moosy_Moose wrote:Fabfilter One.

It's just a one oscillator synth but sounds so good and is so much fun. Plus you can layer multiple instances in your daw and get really creative with grouping and adding effects.

A simple synth but I always have so much fun when using it.
Yeah that one is nice.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

While I like simple, I am not sure I could live with a single envelope generator 8)
A lot of warm or fat sounds depend on fine detuning of two or more oscillators, which is also hard to do when there is only one oscillator 8)

Funny how that works with soft-synths, yet something like the mother 32 in hardware can sound fat-as-you-like with a single oscillator and a super-simple envelope.

Not sure that is the case. There is probably a good reason why the Minimoog has 3 oscillators.
Sure, one saw already sounds very good, but for instance pads will sound less dense compared to 2-osc pads with slight detuning. But occasionally I actually like simple 1-osc pads as well, there is something funky to them as one can hear the definition of the saw well, which kind of gets lost when detuning or using a chorus.

I wasn't talking about for all patches - of course there are patches that benefit from having more oscillators, and the overall effect is improved if the oscillator quality is higher.

Most soft-synths do tend to rely on multiple oscillators (and/or FX) to get fat/warm sounds as their oscillators just don't have the presence of [some] real analog so struggle to stand on their own.

Probably mostly has to do with - lack of bottom end - lack of oscillator drift - lack of saturation in the signal path. If you take Monark, for example, that's a pretty thick sound, already with one or two oscillators. Especially the unison monster soft, or VA synths probably don't benefit much from a thick base sound for the oscillators, because it takes CPU cycles where you need to save some for the many voices, and, also, i believe that a TOO thick base sound of the single oscillators would probably mud up the signal, when you use a lot of unison voices.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
layzer wrote:PG8X and its free
I also think it has the best, most lively and pleasant sound quality of them all. If only it were not so limited in terms of modulation and features...
yeah, just use something else for more "modulated" sounds.
i mean, why try to coax any weird noises out of it? thats not its strength.
but for those wonderful warm Roland jx8p pads, its the ticket for me.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
layzer wrote:PG8X and its free
I also think it has the best, most lively and pleasant sound quality of them all. If only it were not so limited in terms of modulation and features...
yeah, just use something else for more "modulated" sounds.
i mean, why try to coax any weird noises out of it? thats not its strength.
but for those wonderful warm Roland jx8p pads, its the ticket for me.
Hehe, I am not talking about "weird noises" (what would I do with those...), but things like continuous controls for key tracking, velocity etc. I suppose I am spoiled by modulation matrices :wink:

Return to “Instruments”