LUNA is now free for all Mac users

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check the analogobsession plugs you'll need no more UAD stuffs. IMHO:D
A casa mia si diceva: "sbagli una volta perdi due denti." - Tony Soprano

MetalSir wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:14 pm Guys as Pro Tools operator I'm really satisfied with LUNA. Dunno what you exactly want but as free software simply kills. I'm using basically all free AU plugins and my fab filter suite and I'm absolutely not missing PT at all. My 2 cents
Yes, it's meant to be a Pro Tools competitor. Not meant to be a Cubase/Logic/Ableton/Studio One competitor. As such, it's an exceptional mix platform, but falls behind these other DAW's as a music composition platform.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm
MetalSir wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:14 pm Guys as Pro Tools operator I'm really satisfied with LUNA. Dunno what you exactly want but as free software simply kills. I'm using basically all free AU plugins and my fab filter suite and I'm absolutely not missing PT at all. My 2 cents
Yes, it's meant to be a Pro Tools competitor. Not meant to be a Cubase/Logic/Ableton/Studio One competitor. As such, it's an exceptional mix platform, but falls behind these other DAW's as a music composition platform.
Ok now i got your point! I'm not a big fan of cubase and company (that's why I was a PT operator back in the days, 13y ago). I'm also a metal producer only, so I'm generally not familiar with composing stuffs inside a DAW except for drumming on ez drummer and some very basic other task.
Maybe this is the reason why I like Luna. Is straight forward. I can open some unknown stems and in 30m having the general sound running. Little example of stems put to work in half an hour with luna:

https://hearthis.at/metalsir/3kickmono/

Everything here is free plugs lol even the slate trigger2 with those awful, awful, awful 6 samples. Terrible LMAO.

PS: this is the second mix I put my hands on after a stop of 13y.. my ears are terribly out of shape, be patient ❤️

Pps: this is not the final mix/master I'll post the final result later this week 👍

MetalSir wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 pm Maybe this is the reason why I like Luna. Is straight forward. I can open unknown stems and in 30m having the general sound running.
Yes, for mixing stems, it's perfect. That's basically how I use it most of the time, with stems I create in Studio One. I wish I could just stay within Studio One the whole time but I think Luna's summing extensions are worth the trouble. If you haven't tried them yet, I recommend.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 pm
MetalSir wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 pm Maybe this is the reason why I like Luna. Is straight forward. I can open unknown stems and in 30m having the general sound running.
Yes, for mixing stems, it's perfect. That's basically how I use it most of the time, with stems I create in Studio One. I wish I could just stay within Studio One the whole time but I think Luna's summing extensions are worth the trouble. If you haven't tried them yet, I recommend.
The paid ones? I did the 30d trial.. to be honest not "my" sound.. if I can suggest some impressive free plugs check analogobsession they are incredible (if you pass the phase of remembering what plugin there is behind the absurd name)

_leras wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:43 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:27 am The LUNA extensions have to be purchased separately even if you own the UAD plugin of the same. For instance, in my LUNA right now, I have the API Vision Channel Strip and 2500 Compressor extensions available in DEMO mode, even though I own the plugins.

Also, there is an Ampex ATR-102 LUNA extension that is fully working as pure native, but still no native UAD plugin for it.
Perhaps some, but mainly you can use the UAD plug ins, no?

Isn't the Ampex more like a built into LUNA effect?

And I believe the API perhaps had some license issues.

I always think this was more for use as a live mixing tool, for bands to go through this and have UAD instead of a large rack of equipment.
Nothing special other than... being free.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:01 pm
jens wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 am
vertibration wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:31 am FL Studio users are blessed to be honest, because their Devs are super active and listen to users.
Isn't FL Studio the DAW that at V20(.something) still hasn't got any kind of audio-take/-comping management? :lol: :-o :lol:
Which goes to show that FL Studio users never record audio :wink:
Yea, the big producers that use it basically produce beats and then hand it off to artist that record everything in Pro Tools or whatever.

Then the amateurs get on Reddit asking for tips for recording Audio, and are surprised when people tell them to just download REAPER/Cakewalk/whatever.

Fl Studio is - fundamentally - a groovebox, like Maschine 2 or MPC 2.

I do think they will eventually get around to addressing the audio side and expand it out a bit, though. Unless bigger industry producers start switching and letting people know, they can always count on that to continue to drive sales.

The Urban/Hip Hop market segments are extremely bandwagony. Akai still exists solely by exploiting that :-P

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:56 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:17 am There seems to be a distinct slant here towards people who use the DAW to write. There are a lot of musicians who write, then simply play into the DAW. For them it's more than adequate. If you're dependent upon the DAW for everything, then you might find it inadequate. But pissed at something free?? Give me a break.
It's not exactly free if the things that make it stand out are paid extensions.
I don't quite follow your logic. Luna is perfectly functional as is. Do they want to upsell you? Of course. But you have the option not to buy and it will use your third-party plugins, so...
Because you don't want to address what he's actually saying.

He's saying, if the things that make it worth using over something else free are paid extensions, is it really free? Not in the literal sense, but in the practical sense.

Why should anyone care about the "price of entry" if the "price to make that entry worth it" is much higher?

It is like being told you can have a free BMW, but you have to pay $50k for the wheels, gear shifter and steering wheel.

If all you're going to do is mix in LUNA with the plug-ins you already own, and you're already using REAPER for "Free," there is literally no point in going to LUNA. Just keep using REAPER. It does the same thing, just as good, without having to incur the learning curve and opportunity costs involved in switching DAWs.

That was his point, which you either utterly failed to understand... or simply refused to address.

I don't think anyone has issue with anyone using what they want to use, but the way people speak on these topics can seem - at times - like they're basically operating as proxy Marketing/PR departments for these companies. "Marketing Speak" everywhere...

Also, doesn't UAD's stuff either require an iLok Dongle or iLok Cloud (must have persistent internet connection)? From what I've seen, they do not support iLok Machine Activation.

^- That's an actual question.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Mostly cloud or dongle only. Two plugins now do machine authorization. I think Luna itself doesn’t do machine, which is mind boggling/maddening.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 pm Mostly cloud or dongle only. Two plugins now do machine authorization. I think Luna itself doesn’t do machine, which is mind boggling/maddening.
So if this is correct that would mean Luna is free as in "if you already spent $55 or so on an iLok USB Smart Key, or if you can accept to always be connected to the internet".

I don't see the value of Luna without summing myself and find the prices for those options steep. Doesn't mean those are not worth it. After all UAD tools does get some praise, so Luna is still a viable option for some.

Personally, I already solved all those things Luna sets out to solve (those I'm interested in anyway) in my DAW, so little reason for me to add Luna. Having options is great nevertheless. Freeing it from UAD hardware was the most important step, I think.

stromkraft wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:21 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 pm Mostly cloud or dongle only. Two plugins now do machine authorization. I think Luna itself doesn’t do machine, which is mind boggling/maddening.
So if this is correct that would mean Luna is free as in "if you already spent $55 or so on an iLok USB Smart Key, or if you can accept to always be connected to the internet".

I don't see the value of Luna without summing myself and find the prices for those options steep. Doesn't mean those are not worth it. After all UAD tools does get some praise, so Luna is still a viable option for some.

Personally, I already solved all those things Luna sets out to solve (those I'm interested in anyway) in my DAW, so little reason for me to add Luna. Having options is great nevertheless. Freeing it from UAD hardware was the most important step, I think.
The iLok debate will rage on. That cloud license only works well enough until the internet is interrupted.

Otherwise, yeah… it’s a great marketing speak. Obviously it still sums but unfortunately it won’t allow you to use something else on those summing channels… So it’s unnecessarily restrictive.

It reminds of when Apple pushed their “Retina” displays that had people requesting all things to have Retina displays without understanding it was just high resolution. Great marketing.

Any other DAW offers summing without the restriction of needing to own a license to ATR-102 or the API console. LUNA just has a very strict workflow that could be fun to work with if you own the extensions, but it’s nothing magically exclusive.

stromkraft wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:21 am

Can't get this message.. I don't have the physical ilok device and I can work offline with no issues.. even now I'm using it offline on my daw..

Are you referring to either LA-2A or PolyMAX? Those two are authorized differently than Luna and the other UA plug-ins.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:10 pm Are you referring to either LA-2A or PolyMAX? Those two are authorized differently than Luna and the other UA plug-ins.
I don't use no luna plugs. Just the sequencer and my plugs, mostly free. I have no issue at all.. can't get what's wrong with free software..
I mean: A free beer is still a free beer. No one should complain if it is not cold enough. It is still a free beer. :where:

just kidding lmao

I've been demoing for the last couple of weeks.
Really like it, I think it makes my brain work differently - it's like Harrison Mixbus that way.
I''m sorely tempted to buy the extensions - but the native plugin bundles are on sale too and the Signature bundle has almost all the Luna stuff plus a lot more - but not IMO the best Luna stuff (console, summing, or Ampex).
The console is purely workflow as the identical API channel strip is in Signature. Though it is slick!
The Ampex could no doubt be approximated with something else.
Does anyone know exactly what the summing add-on is doing? Is it just adding a tiny bit of analog / character to each channel before adding them together?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”