Nomad Factory's Magnetic - New and on sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

redshift factor wrote:...
You have to be at least 18 to join?....
I have no idea. That was me just speculating on why they need your date of birth to register. Whatever reason they have, it seems pointless to ask for that info since the person registering can easily lie. :?

Seaside Music wrote:No way in hell would I pay $200 for this. I doubt that ANYONE would really...
Yeah lol, it's ridiculous price, even if it was really good tape emulation. Does it sound like tape? Nope, but for $49 it's quite fun and fast tone shaper.

sonicpowa wrote:Does it sound like tape? Nope, but for $49 it's quite fun and fast tone shaper.
:?: :o Sounds..... like tape(s)........ to me. :shrug:
redshift factor wrote:You have to be at least 18 to join?
Are you sure you didn't go to Don'sCrack.com by mistake?
[Drink shoots out through nose.]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that'll be $49 per month, mister!!! :hihi:
miro pajic wrote:Hey guys,

an update from my side: Nomad has solved the problem!! They were very helpfull :) I'm so happy...It works fine now! 8) This plugin is so much fun!
Yay!!! Thanks for the update, miro! :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:

dhalfen wrote::?: :o Sounds..... like tape(s)........ to me. :shrug:
Great!! I was hoping it sound more like tape when pushed but the saturation could be smoother and the compression sounds like digital comp with fast release time (well, maybe because it is digital :) ).
edit: slower reel speeds supposed to be accurate emulations?

I already own McDSP's Analog Channel pack, which I haven't seen mentioned yet. I'll have to demo for myself to find out how this compares. Has anyone done a comparison with those two?

I was just reading the blurb on this new plugin and the following caught my eye :-

REEL SPEED controls the speed of the virtual tape machine. Higher speeds give you more studio-quality fidelity; lower speeds sound more like a cassette tape. The DASH setting gives you the highest-fidelity of digital audio tape predominately used in the '80s and '90s.

Now its the bit about the 'DASH' setting linked in with the same sentence as 'digital audio tape' is mentioned......

Well, I'm probably wrong here but I seem to remember some Sony & maybe Studer recorders that were branded DASH and they were basically DAT tapes that you could splice unlike convention DAT tapes (the cassette type ones) but their main selling point were was the fact that they were digital systems and didn't do the same things sonically to a source that tradition analog tape does - ie all the nice stuff that you crazy people seem to crave.

Could it be that Nomad Factory have sold you a plugin that emulates a digital recorder to process your digital recording with, because like that would be quite something wouldn't it??? You people who have bought it already could end up looking like right pudding heads......

:wink: :lol:

Seriously though, if they have I will email them as I know where there's a f**k load of cheap sand for sale and some rather wealthy Arabs......
No, that Glitch is meant to be there.....
http://soundcloud.com/punisha
http://www.myspace.com/punishadubs

The Dash setting is their way of saying "analog saturation off", I think.

Grain Bastard wrote:
.... The DASH setting gives you the highest-fidelity of digital audio tape predominately used in the '80s and '90s.
Well, they don't say it's just "digital", do they? See the part about "highest fidelity of digital audio tape predominantly used in the 80s and 90s"?

This could mean it sounds like the old ADATs.

But even if it means it's just turned off, so what? I don't care if it's called "DASH" or "off" or "bypass". I'm buying this for when it's turned on. :hihi:

Grain Bastard wrote:Seriously though, if they have I will email them as I know where there's a f**k load of cheap sand for sale and some rather wealthy Arabs......
No comment !

Now concerning the "DASH" setting, any professional that seriously worked in the studios in the 90s knows that the 24/48 Sony DASH had a very typical crystal clear sound out of the box... And that's what MAGNETIC emulates...

Hope that answers your thoughts...

BTW, we already reached the 300 subscribers in our Nomad Factory "Integral Studio Pack" Group-Buy... We've never reached the target so quickly !!! And 4 days to go to join in at full 70% discount ! Sure sounds promising...

All of you that haven't demoed Nomad Factory plug-ins lately definitely should do so before the end of the promotion that is Tuesday, November 30 at midnight western time !

Note that ALL 50 plug-ins have been completely re-written in the past years, so don't stay on impressions you might have had 10 years back... The number of buyers talks for itself, doesn't it ? :wink:

Kind Regards - Peter
Plugiman
www.Plugivery.com
Plugivery Distribution

DontCrack wrote:Now concerning the "DASH" setting, any professional that seriously worked in the studios in the 90s knows that the 24/48 Sony DASH had a very typical crystal clear sound out of the box... And that's what MAGNETIC emulates...
In other word it's the same as off or bypass? I mean it would be crazy to emulate something like DASH.
But where is 'Panasonic Hi-Fi VCR' setting? :hihi:

sonicpowa wrote:
DontCrack wrote:Now concerning the "DASH" setting, any professional that seriously worked in the studios in the 90s knows that the 24/48 Sony DASH had a very typical crystal clear sound out of the box... And that's what MAGNETIC emulates...
In other word it's the same as off or bypass? I mean it would be crazy to emulate something like DASH.
But where is 'Panasonic Hi-Fi VCR' setting? :hihi:
No no no, even better would be BETA hifi :D Let's hope that is on the next version :hihi:

I've had a chance to run a few tracks through it and listen to it a bit. Whether it's 100% true to the original or not, IMO it was well worth it.
On drums, I think it does a great job of capturing some of the sounds heard on classic albums from the 70's.
I tried it on a stereo drum overhead track, a stereo drum room mic track, and a drum kit group track. The splash and zing of ride cymbals through MAGNETIC brings to mind the ride cymbal in "Foreplay" on the first Boston album.
On kick drum and snare tracks, I was able to dial in added punch and beef, with a smooth warm quality. I did use a dynamic EQ on the kick afterward though because in beefing up and compressing the sound, MAGNETIC can also accentuate the ringing of the drum.
It is possible to dial in that loose, mushy low end on kick drums and bass that you hear on many 70's rock albums. It evoked the low end of Uriah Heep albums that I have been listening to in the car lately. That sound is not really to my tastes, nonetheless it can be dialed in if you want it. It's possible to dial in a more defined, tight low end too.
I tried it on a guitar track just for a minute, and with the high tone control turned up just a bit, on the "Focus" or "Detail" setting, it brought out a wonderful clarity that will help the guitar riff stand out in the mix, once I get to mixing that tune.
IMO it was money well spent. It produces sounds remenicent of classic 70's rock albums. If you're not necessarily after period-correct sounds, it allows you to dial in added punch, clarity and shimmer if that's what you want.
Last edited by Sleep Distance on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP xw9300,2.4GHz 2xAMD Opteron dual core Win XP Pro
MOTU 2408Mk3&1296, MOTU MIDI Express 128
Cubase 5,WaveLab Essent,hdwr & soft synths,Hamer & Carvin guitars

hibidy wrote:..BETA hifi :D
No no, better would be Philips Video2000.. :D

@Ambassador Kosh: Just a thought, have you tried combination of Magnetic and JB Ferox? That could be a killer.

sonicpowa wrote:
hibidy wrote:..BETA hifi :D
No no, better would be Philips Video2000.. :D
maybe for a lowfi sound. Heck, add all three :lol:

Return to “Effects”