Tokyo Dawn Labs releases Kotelnikov (standard and GE)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Kotelnikov TDR Kotelnikov GE

Compyfox wrote:If someone would ask me what this mode does, I would told him/her this:
The Peak/Crest knob declares a second threshold for the "peak compression" module only. i.e. if the Threshold is setup to -18dB and the crest knob is at +5dB, the transient portion of the signal feed needs to actually exceed -13dB in order for the peak compression to respond.

The same the other way around: Threshold at -18dB, but Crest at -3dB. That means that the transient portion of the signal is already processed as soon as it goes over -21dB, while the average signal portion starts to compress at -18dB.

The drum set was a great example for this.
Oh yeah, great explanation. Made it clearer to me. Thanx for that. :)

Having a play with it on my radio show voice overs today, tweaked a few of the presets to get something pretty nice and warm sounding. Just adjust the threshold to the source (as always).

<TDRKotelnikovGE thresholdParam="-26.0" peakCrestParam="RMS" softKneeParam="6.0" ratioParam="7.0" attackParam="0.02" releasePeakParam="20" releaseRMSParam="250" makeUpParam="0.0" dryMixParam="off" outGainParam="4.0" keyHPFrequencyParam="220" keyHPSlopeParam="6.0" keyStereoDiffParam="80" keyStereoBalanceParam="Center" fdrVisibleParam="Off" fdrActiveParam="On" fdrTypeParam="Bell A" fdrFrequencyParam="300" fdrAmountParam="77" yingParam="On" yangParam="On" deltaParam="Off" bypassParam="Off" equalLoudParam="Off" qualityParam="Insane" modeParam="Stereo" grDispScaleParam="2" grDispModeParam="Gain Reduction"/>

Fabien should really start a preset-exchange system on TDL.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Excellent idea Compyfox!
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Well, Hermetech provided a load of presets for SlickEQ, and until recently I was puzzled with this code stuff. Until Dan Worrall pointed out the preset exchange feature (really, didn't need it, so I didn't pay attention).

So instead of getting that stuff lost here on KVR, a global setting with maybe a screenshot of the GUI would be nice.

IIRs wrote:
rdnzl wrote: Trying to understand that FDR thing...
Am I right thinking that technically what it does is EQing the delta before "applying" it to the original signal?
That is my understanding of it, yes. Very clever, and very useful too.
Or summed up, frequency selective (and gradual) compression, but not how it's handled in multiband compressors.

Oh and btw... hi Dan. :tu:

Fritze wrote:
Compyfox wrote:The Peak/Crest knob ...
Oh yeah, great explanation. Made it clearer to me. Thanx for that. :)
Glad I could help.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Sometimes, it's hard to see the most obvious things, especially if they're sitting right in-front of my nose! I'll prepare something for our website.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:Hey Theo,

this is fixed for all plugins released post SlickEQ. The old ones are messed up, but we can't change that anymore.
You can't change a simple ID for the TDR compressor? :?

Oh well, i may use the AU hack posted at gearslutz to get them to show in menu of our choosing, if that's ok with you?

I would like to buy slick EQ but i really love TDR and i have run out of space to have all my devs appear without scrolling on my laptop.. i don't want to enlarge the list anymore is what i am saying..

TheoM wrote:
FabienTDR wrote:Hey Theo,

this is fixed for all plugins released post SlickEQ. The old ones are messed up, but we can't change that anymore.
You can't change a simple ID for the TDR compressor? :?

Oh well, i may use the AU hack posted at gearslutz to get them to show in menu of our choosing, if that's ok with you?

I would like to buy slick EQ but i really love TDR and i have run out of space to have all my devs appear without scrolling on my laptop.. i don't want to enlarge the list anymore is what i am saying..
Interesting, why a lot of DAWs group plugins by vendor, BTW? Grouping plugins by their type (EQs, compressors, reverbs, etc.) looks much more logical to me. Just take a look at 2 extreme cases of vendor grouping: you have a lot of vendors with 1 plugin from each and all your plugins came from single vendor. Both cases are not comfortable to use and it means I must carefully maintain my vendors especially if I have a shitload of plugins :-)
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

That's something I really disliked during my Logic days! I always had to think who was the vendor of the effect I wanted to use... and when I was looking for a different effect of the same category, I had to remember by heart which options instead of receiving a suggestion from the software (by just browsing the effect by category). It slowed down my workflow.

Useful plugin organization is a really important workflow feature IMO, and isn't handled super well by many DAWs.

Studio One (the one I'm currently most familiar with) automatically separates instruments from effects, and within those, you can show them by folder, vendor, category (useless, see next), or as a flat list. Category sounds great, like reverb, delay, compression, etc, but in reality the only ones are FX Chains, Presonus, VST2, and VST3, and they're not editable or assignable AFAIK, a complete waste.

On the plus side though, Studio One also lets you save presets for any plugin, organize them any way you want in folders on your drive, and insert them onto a channel directly from the preset browser. That works really well, and has the advantage that you can have multiple versions of the same plug with different settings. However: a) more steps are required than would be ideal for simple categorization, b) only plugins where you've done this appear in that hierarchy, so new ones don't show, not even in an "uncatogorized" bin, and c) that hierarchy isn't used everywhere in the program where you pick instruments or effects.

It's still the state of the art in Studio One though, and much better than the other approaches I'm aware of. Details here for anyone who cares: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=215

Reaper has a feature to read the plugin directory as is, meaning you can create your own categories and structure just with subfolders. I can't think of anything better.

AudioMulch has been doing it that way since it started supporting VST plugins over ten years ago. Make your own folder/directory structure and that's what shows up inside it. I can't imagine why other software does it any differently.

oneshotdeal wrote:Reaper has a feature to read the plugin directory as is, meaning you can create your own categories and structure just with subfolders. I can't think of anything better.
...and you can even give them alias names! 8)

There's only one downside - you cannot sort all the folders via drag and drop but only via a right mouse-click menu! :?
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneshotdeal wrote:Reaper has a feature to read the plugin directory as is, meaning you can create your own categories and structure just with subfolders. I can't think of anything better.
That model breaks down for large multi-plugin bundles that use a single install location for the whole package, unless categorizing only by vendor and/or bundle name is always what you want. I'd much prefer the ability to categorize plugins hierarchically as I choose, regardless of where they are physically on disk.

dwozzle wrote:Useful plugin organization is a really important workflow feature IMO, and isn't handled super well by many DAWs.

It's still the state of the art in Studio One though, and much better than the other approaches I'm aware of. Details here for anyone who cares: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=215
Sonar has pretty much always(*) had the ability to have plugin menus organised absolutely any way you want, and for several versions (since X1?) has supported changing the menus on the fly as required, via config files, and I believe different plugin access points (browser, prochannel, insert points on tracks, etc) can be set up with different menus

(*) initially with a 3rd party utility
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”