How many Behringer Synths should one buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic

How many Behringer synths should one own?

None: Behringer Synths, 100% B.S.
18%
1-5: You should demonstrate moderate self control and limit yourself thusly
32%
6-20: Behringer is cheap as chips, make moar music with moar stuff!
18%
All of them: You aren't a true fan if you don't buy at least one of everything, get to spendin!
14%
Go Fish
17%

Total votes: 77

RELATED
PRODUCTS

kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:03 pm I would be happy with 4 - Neutron & Proton, and UB-Xa & DS-80.
I don't see proton as being an advance. Neutron is great, even better in pairs. Proton has tiny knobs and some weirdness. I'm fairly certain that it's still vaporware, no? I have my doubts that it will surface. I think the B has figured out that people want to believe that there getting a slice of history.

I guess I'm going to wait on one of these.
After many years, we have finally created the first prototype of our upcoming JT-16, a 16-voice polyphonic synth.
Our product engineer, Gilles, who is also a synth enthusiast, couldn't stop playing with it, but we managed to pry it away from him for a moment to capture it on camera. Sorry Gilles:-)
Currently, the synth is in its very early stages, and we are now focusing on debugging and implementing the necessary software.
We kindly ask for your patience, but we assure you that this beauty will come to fruition.
What do you think?

egbert101 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:09 am Are any of the cheap Behringer guitar pedals any good? I see they are made of plastic so will likely break if stomped on but won't be doing any stomping. Again, my interest is feeding stuff through them to warm them up or change the sound in a positive way.
JHS Pootube channel did a comparison of a bunch of them versus the original pedals they're clones of. Fairly accurate clones it would seem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJZa8yCMCQ
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

i have a few of those.
aside from being too flimsy for live use, getting excited mid riff and stomping, will probably kill it...
they do sound good enough, especially considering what i paid.
however, i paid the original, new asking price, of about 12 quid. i see now, that some of them sell for 5 times that :o
not sure id pay that, especially now that there are numerous cheap pedal manufacturers, covering a far wider range.

The Behringer Big Muff is a so-bad-it's-good situation. It's a poor choice if you're looking for a clone but a great choice if you're looking for something a little different (Big Muff meets DS-1).

I was actually hoping the Pro-800 would be a so-bad-it's-good. However, it seems like they've done a pretty spot-on job of emulating the Prophet-600 Gligli.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:08 pm The Behringer Big Muff is a so-bad-it's-good situation. It's a poor choice if you're looking for a clone but a great choice if you're looking for something a little different (Big Muff meets DS-
was that the metal case vd1? or one of the plastic stompboxes?

Yes, that's the one. Big like a Big Muff.

yeah i have that one too, and the tube distortion (less impressive tbh) didn't get the delay sadly.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am
kvotchin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:03 pm I would be happy with 4 - Neutron & Proton, and UB-Xa & DS-80.
I don't see proton as being an advance. Neutron is great, even better in pairs. Proton has tiny knobs and some weirdness. I'm fairly certain that it's still vaporware, no? I have my doubts that it will surface. I think the B has figured out that people want to believe that there getting a slice of history.
B just knows it's easier to sell something someone has heard of. Releasing a brand new thing is fraught with risk.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:50 am
discogsaddict wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 am Which Roland filter would be better in the alpha juno?
Almost any filter would sound better than the IR3RO5. Side by side with a Juno 60, also a DCO synth, there's just no comparison. The IR3R05 came at a time when Roland was trying to compete with the DX7. I remember reading that Roland wanted a more clinical sound, and they achieved that.

The best Roland filter is the prototype of the IR3109 built with BA662s. The IR3109 (Juno 6/60, SH101, Jupiter 8, and others) is the best Roland filter on a chip, hands down. I wasn't going to put Roland filters in. The IR3R05 is more than a filter on a chip, it's a VCF/VCA combo. So, you need something that will fit and serve both functions.

Frankly, even CEM filters, which I'm not a big fan of, would sound better than the IR3RO5.

At any rate, given the price that MKS-50s and PG-300s sell for, mine's going on the block to be replaced by a Behringer poly, hopefully a poly-source, if they ever make it. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the next poly analog that they put in the 3U form factor, whatever it is. Well, almost, I won't if they clone the IR3R05.
Thats interesting. Having owned Alphas but never the controller i do admit i never did a great deal of filtering. Not like i would have if i could get hands on anyway.

With the sounds of that i dont think many would complain if they used another Roland filter. If theyre doing a Jupiter clone and have a Sh101 clone already it shouldnt be difficult.

For me the charm and uniqueness of the Alphas would be those Oscillators, Multi stage envelopes and the chorus.

I like what theyre doing with the clones but i dont care for a perfect clone as much i do something that sounds good and is nice to use. Id buy an Alpha Juno with a Moog style ladder filter if they made one haha

discogsaddict wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:40 pm For me the charm and uniqueness of the Alphas would be those Oscillators, Multi stage envelopes and the chorus.
Yes, and with the MKS-50, the 1U form factor.
I like what theyre doing with the clones but i dont care for a perfect clone as much i do something that sounds good and is nice to use. Id buy an Alpha Juno with a Moog style ladder filter if they made one haha
Agreed. I feel like they may sell as well if B leaned just a bit more into the "inspired" by as opposed to leaning into the clone aspects. They are doing some of that, of course, e.g., building 16 voice synths instead of 8. I think that the DeepMind was too much inspired and not enough clone. That said, there was only one reason that I didn't buy a DeepMind, and that's because the third envelope did not have its own controls.

But, yes, that was the intent, to put something cool into the box like a ladder filter. I feel that what it needs is something a bit dirtier, like a polivoks or a Steiner Parker. At any rate, other unfinished products took priority, as they often do, and now we live in a world where we're no longer starved for analog poly choice.

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:15 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am I don't see proton as being an advance. Neutron is great, even better in pairs. Proton has tiny knobs and some weirdness. I'm fairly certain that it's still vaporware, no? I have my doubts that it will surface. I think the B has figured out that people want to believe that there getting a slice of history.
B just knows it's easier to sell something someone has heard of. Releasing a brand new thing is fraught with risk.
Uh, fair enough.

Pretty sure the Neutron has sold well though, and been fairly well regarded overall. But okay, what other “new” things have they made or offered up an intention to make? Other than the Proton of course.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:00 pm
But, yes, that was the intent, to put something cool into the box like a ladder filter. I feel that what it needs is something a bit dirtier, like a polivoks or a Steiner Parker. At any rate, other unfinished products took priority, as they often do, and now we live in a world where we're no longer starved for analog poly choice.
In fact some kind of Filterbank would be nice. A Sherman style clone only with Wasp filters. Something that would sound different and be a nice pair with a real Sherman. Everyone has the semi modular monos now give them something to tinker with :hihi:

kvotchin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:07 pm what other “new” things have they made or offered up an intention to make?
Polysource

Uncle E wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:18 pm
kvotchin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:07 pm what other “new” things have they made or offered up an intention to make?
Polysource
They could have my money today if that was available.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”