Next Propellerhead Reason upgrade (9.5) to include VST support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

EnochLight wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:Love the screenshot option - when I had the beta I thought it was for taking a shot of a problem! Now I know what it does I'm a happier bunny.
I do wish all of my Cakewalk native plugins were in a different VST folder so they could be excluded from the start up scan, it's frustrating seeing them listed when they won't work in Reason. Ho hum.

Grum.
Can't you disable them in the plug-in Management window and restart Reason?
So far there is no way to disable or hide particular plugins - I hope for some form of more refined management in time. Also I'd like if it did what all other DAWS do and allowed symbolic links to plugin folders.

PB2000 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Can anyone confirm drag n drop midi to selected track is working with ezdrummer now?
I just used Superior Drummer 2, routed all the drums to individual mix channels and dragged the midi file in.

It still opens an ID8 track first
Thank you for checking! Anyone know if dragging a midi file from something like ezdrummer onto a forced new track instead of the desired drag n drop to selected track and having to move the midi to the right track and delete the new id8 tracks Every Time will mess with the undo history?

Thanks bmrzycki, even after 15 years of using Reason, there's still so much new to learn and explore. I need to update my knowhow, as I'm behind atm. All those Rack Extensions and VSTs I own but barely know - phew..

aMUSEd wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:Love the screenshot option - when I had the beta I thought it was for taking a shot of a problem! Now I know what it does I'm a happier bunny.
I do wish all of my Cakewalk native plugins were in a different VST folder so they could be excluded from the start up scan, it's frustrating seeing them listed when they won't work in Reason. Ho hum.

Grum.
So far there is no way to disable or hide particular plugins - I hope for some form of more refined management in time. Also I'd like if it did what all other DAWS do and allowed symbolic links to plugin folders.
I went through every VST instrument and did a "screenshot" of the ones that work so now I have an image of the plugin or a plain VST box to differentiate between the two.
I went to the Effects to do the same and thought eff that - I'll go through that lot another day!

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

Grum.
I went through every VST instrument and did a "screenshot" of the ones that work so now I have an image of the plugin or a plain VST box to differentiate between the two.
Yes I did the same - but still want to reduce the clutter eventually. I don't usually allow hosts to access my system VST folder but with Reason not supporting symlinks I had no choice.

aMUSEd wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

Grum.
What are you talking about? Go to "Manage Plugins", highlight the plugin you want to disable, click the button "disable". Even works with the Waves WaveShell plugins.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Didn't even know that was there, pity no one mentioned it when I asked about plugin management on the beta forum

aMUSEd wrote:Didn't even know that was there, pity no one mentioned it when I asked about plugin management on the beta forum
Yeah, that's pretty odd. I wasn't chosen for the beta testing, but found the button pretty quickly today after installing 9.5. I'm glad the option exists, because I was first looking for a way to disable plugins in any of the configurations files (as you can with Studio One (for instance))...which was before I found the "hide" option :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Yeah I'd have expected it to either be in preferences or in the options tab so didn't even think to look in the Windows tab

I am reading various forums and quite a few people are reporting dramatic bad performance with VST plugins. Like 10 times worse then with other DAWs. Someone spotted that disabling multicore support in Reason is making this figures less dramatic but still bad.

Hope Props are on this - but makes you wonder does betatesting group is not using multicore configuration?

I was not able to test this myself today due confirmed website issues but will do tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

kmonkey wrote:I am reading various forums and quite a few people are reporting dramatic bad performance with VST plugins. Like 10 times worse then with other DAWs. Someone spotted that disabling multicore support in Reason is making this figures less dramatic but still bad.

Hope Props are on this - but makes you wonder does betatesting group is not using multicore configuration?

I was not able to test this myself today due confirmed website issues but will do tomorrow.

Cheers guys.
For us coming from Studio One (at least before the latest update), it's not actually that bad :)
Too bad you can't see the actual load in percent, rather than just a bar though. In Studio One there were a few plugins that had a few presets that were unplayable, for instance Softube Modular, KarmaFX Synth and even DUNE2 (which still gives me some CPU spikes in Studio One). In Reason they are pretty stable. Also haven't noticed much of a difference in various Reaktor 6 synths.

kmonkey wrote:I am reading various forums and quite a few people are reporting dramatic bad performance with VST plugins. Like 10 times worse then with other DAWs. Someone spotted that disabling multicore support in Reason is making this figures less dramatic but still bad.

Course they did, it's just most people understand that this is just the first step in a process that will include further work to optimise things, as has been the case with every major DAW, they have all had to work to improve their optimisation over time, some like S1 have just managed this on v3.5, some took even longer, so you can't expect Reason to manage this on day one. The priority was for it all to work in the first place, it's actually a very well thought out implementation and most plugins are also pretty stable.

I just layered 14 random VSTi's (no effects) in a Combinator, holding down 6 notes. The CPU meter was about 75-80 % all the time, and I would say Reason spread the CPU load out pretty well on my cores. The total percentage used on my CPU was 57 %. I have never (in any of the DAWs I use (possibly Reaper) seen this kind of ratio. Studio One (which is still my primary DAW) would have complained already after 6-7 layered synths (tested before the latest update (3.5)).

I would say Reason is holding it up pretty good so far.

I think it is for most plugins but I have a few that are definitely running worse in Reason than in other hosts on the same system - it's not the fastest of systems but I don't get DSP being disabled just loading Tassman or playing synths like Amber and even Reaktor Blocks in other hosts. So there is definitely room for improvement but I would also suggest that people check their CPU overload limit as by default it's set to 80% and I find it errs on the conservative side of that.

Yeah, you are right, there is always room for improvement. But I'm actually kind of surprised since people have been talking about the bad CPU handling, and this is not really the case for me. At least Studio One (was), FL Studio, Bitwig and Renoise are worse in my experience. It's hard to take Reaper into the calculations, because it's CPU load use can be like 15-20 % (according to Reaper), and I get audio dropouts.

I'm having high hopes, and I'm really positively surprised. Might as well be selling one or two of my DAWs, since I already now know that Studio One and Reason will be my two primary DAWs, keeping FL Studio and Renoise more for fun.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”