What would be your definition of a musician?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meffy wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:
You....are.....not Will........iam....Shatner? I....am...........................surprised...
not sure what this means
This... Youtube video... explains... ALL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbpIQf-JfmQ&t=54s

Anyway, since the thread asks everyone for our definitions of a musician, yours is perfectly valid. For you. Yay! :-}
WOW!!! i ask the poster not to refer to me as Shatner... but the MOD wants to post a video...

talking about adding fuel to the fire!!!

WOW!!!

neverenoughfunk wrote:a musician... music maker... there is a difference...
Not according to the dictionary. Perhaps you could revisit this thread to apologise for your misinterpretation of a very well understood word in the English language once you've consulted one.

mu·si·cian
[myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

vurt wrote:there appear to be klingons on the starboard bow...
there are? where's captain kirk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCcwh3xRPI

neverenoughfunk wrote:
Sendy wrote: What about people who make music using texture, samples, tape, rhythm, collage, musique concrete, microsound techniques, etc? Is this stuff not music but just "a racket"?
i am not sure what you call these individuals... but there are some with "tons" of talent... in some case they do some unbelievable stuff... i.e. amazing!!! being a musician does not make you superior over the guys who make the texture, sample, tape, etc technique... there is just a different skill sets.

you cant wake up in the morning and become of these guys using textures, samples, etc... it takes the same level of intensity to become efficient in this style of music making as a musician puts into his/her craft...

just not sure what to call it... i do not classify it as musician though...
So you don't think they should be called musicians, but their "music" sells in "music stores" in large amounts.

What about 'Revolution No 9' on the White Album? What were the Beatles called while they were recording that? Did they have to contact the Musicians Union and temporarily have their union cards invalidated?

Your 'theory' is really all over the place Mr Shatner.

neverenoughfunk wrote:

just curious... does you opinion carry more weight than mine... just curious..
no, but the dictionary does.
Last edited by macmurphy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was playing music while in my mothers wombs.
I is musician.

was it a womb with a view?

sorry :oops: i'll get my coat.

i personally prefer playback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRHq_SWh-U

whyterabbyt wrote:
vurt wrote:there appear to be klingons on the starboard bow...
there are? where's captain kirk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCcwh3xRPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

macmurphy wrote:was it a womb with a view?

:hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:a musician... music maker... there is a difference...
Not according to the dictionary. Perhaps you could revisit this thread to apologise for your misinterpretation of a very well understood word in the English language once you've consulted one.

mu·si·cian
[myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.
first off... i did not consult a dictionary... and if you read my posts again... i was giving my opinions... not talking from/by definition... but my opinion on the subject matter...

again... it takes more than a computer, software, controllers, etc to be a musician... again... in my opinion!!!

but if you want to "yeast" your skill set into thinking that you are a musician... it is your world!!!

who is to say you are not...

but in my world... if you cant "Happy Birthday" you are not too much of musician in my book!!!

hopefully... this is fair enough for you... you have your opinion(s) and i have mine...

right? maybe?
Last edited by neverenoughfunk on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverenoughfunk wrote: if you cant "Happy Birthday" you are not too much of musician in my book!!!
:clap: :ud:

neverenoughfunk wrote:first off... i did not consult a dictionary...
no? im shocked.
and if you read my posts again... i was giving my opinions...
noone who is 'only' giving an opinion reiterates it so frequently.
but in my world... if you cant "Happy Birthday" you are not too much of musician in my book!!!
in that case, im on the side of drummers and singers, neither of whom would be able to play it, and those who measure an art form by something other than the ability to memorise doggerel.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

there is one thing for sure... individuals want the title of musician... but not willing to do what it takes to become one... i.e. they know what LFO is but not middle C!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

have a nice day everyone!!!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”