One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

doctorbob wrote:so will you keep away from Yamaha DX-* type sounds????
A bit hard to avoid entirely. But I've made some headway getting things that don't sound like they came from that synth. :)

Also working on a VST plugin project, so we'll see how my time gets split up the next few months.

bjporter put the windows versions together (I use mac) so I can't comment on them really. If you know what you are doing you could put the graphics from the old VOPM into the EX dll?

jasinski wrote:bjporter put the windows versions together (I use mac) so I can't comment on them really. If you know what you are doing you could put the graphics from the old VOPM into the EX dll?
Woops, winrared the files from the wrong dll, it's now updated.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... isk%29.rar

z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:so will you keep away from Yamaha DX-* type sounds????
A bit hard to avoid entirely. But I've made some headway getting things that don't sound like they came from that synth. :)
Yup, I hear you ... a bit of a biatch to get some none DX style boings out of it. It can all go atonal and nasty quite easily. I think I'll leave our entry as is ... hope people find it OK to perhaps dip in and out of the various movements. A bit long, but it is a "concept" piece ...

I ran each track into an orchestral VSTi alongside each VOPM VSTi, and then worked up a sound in the VOPM to give the right character to the orchestral instrument being used. So, the flute sound had to be "haunting" whereas because the horns were used in rather triumphal and intro sections they needed to be just right (these are the best I think!) - more mellow than trumpet like.

Hope the plugin project goes OK.

Rob.

bjporter wrote:
jasinski wrote:bjporter put the windows versions together (I use mac) so I can't comment on them really. If you know what you are doing you could put the graphics from the old VOPM into the EX dll?
Woops, winrared the files from the wrong dll, it's now updated.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... isk%29.rar
Yep, that did it. Thanks much! :tu: :party:

Ok, a quick question .... if I wanted to redo some dynamics of the piece (as suggested by the great and good Z.prime!! Thanks), is this allowed once I have submitted it?

So, I am asking, can I remove the piece and re-work and re-submit? Not sure about the rules here, so guidance much appreciated. (BJP??)

Thanks, Rob (a relative newbie here- so please be patient with me)

doctorbob wrote:Ok, a quick question .... if I wanted to redo some ... of the piece ... is this allowed once I have submitted it? So, I am asking, can I remove the piece and re-work and re-submit?
Sure can, as many times as you want. Just announce an update in the thread so everyone knows. (You can always delete the track and upload a new version or replace on SC, if you have a premium account.) Just make sure to have a single entry before end of the month closing time and you're good. :)

DELETED
Last edited by marks-a-whybikky on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

doctorbob wrote: Thanks, Rob (a relative newbie here- so please be patient with me)
Thanks Z :) Nice answer.

Please ask all your questions, no matter how noob they are. :party:

Ok thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

Well, I have re-worked the piece ... redone all the instruments, doubled up the flute and oboe sounds now and got rid of the rather annoying VOPM "phasing" like sound which comes out now and then - seems to be freq dependent as well - all to do with the FM and modulation I guess! [Reminds me of my DX-11!].

Anyways, a new track is up, replaced the original so as to keep the comments as they are very useful to me!

Oh yes, Z.prime, I am very happy to get personal comments/views - how else do we learn otherwise - hope this new version is better, I think so.

Might think of adding some percussion - but will have to talk to the boss ;-) - and will see where the dynamics could be re-worked ... plenty of time to refine I guess :-)

So, in my best Somerset accent ... 'yer 'tis ...

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... vc-63-vopm

Enjoy ...

Rob (aka db)

Well, I was on a strict deadline for this one. Started working at ten, needed to finish in a night, as baby no,2 could be here at any moment. It's now 3a.m. GMT oops.

10 instances of VOPM. Used the default sound that popped up as I liked the sound of it as was!

DAW - Logic Pro 9.

Some basic reverb, compression, delay (all Logic Pro) and a free 3rd party drive plugin (Airwindows).

I enjoyed VOPM. Reminded me of a Yamaha keyboard I had as a kid. Tiny keys and quite esoteric.

https://soundcloud.com/ted209/deadline

that's dedication TED!
Good luck on the new baby!

Yup, good luck with the new baby.

My daughter who did the composition for our piece during April has just had her first baby too. Seems VOPM's associated with at least 2 newbies ;-)

Rob

Well I created a new project and all the digital noise has gone away. VOPM is surprising me with the sounds it can make but - suddenly I've lost inspiration. Don't like my piece and might start again. Grrrr..... :roll:

Ah well - here we go again!

flipm1967 wrote:... suddenly I've lost inspiration. Don't like my piece and might start again. Grrrr..... :roll:
Take this opportunity to make some sounds. Maybe inspiration will find you along the way. :)

Return to “Instruments”