New MacBook Pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fgimian wrote: Morals of the story:

* Belkin clearly don't care about customers
* Purchasing an official accessory from Apple (the Belkin dock is an "official" accessory) means jack
* Other brands (OWC) are also bad
* Everything always works better connected directly to the MBP

This only leaves CalDigit really ....
More morals:

* Apple builds gear the relies on external accessories.
* Many accessories come from third parties (perhaps becuase Apple is not interested in that business)
* Apple constant OS "evolutions" have a consistent hirtory of breaking compatibility
* Third parties simply don't care about supporting OS updates. Instead, they will release new accessories, that you will have to buy to replace the old ones.

This only leaves that, as soons as compatibility gets broken, we have no other way than look for OTHER accessories that are guaranteed AT THAT MOMENT.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
fgimian wrote: Morals of the story:

* Belkin clearly don't care about customers
* Purchasing an official accessory from Apple (the Belkin dock is an "official" accessory) means jack
* Other brands (OWC) are also bad
* Everything always works better connected directly to the MBP

This only leaves CalDigit really ....
More morals:

* Apple builds gear the relies on external accessories.
* Many accessories come from third parties (perhaps becuase Apple is not interested in that business)
* Apple constant OS "evolutions" have a consistent hirtory of breaking compatibility
* Third parties simply don't care about supporting OS updates. Instead, they will release new accessories, that you will have to buy to replace the old ones.

This only leaves that, as soons as compatibility gets broken, we have no other way than look for OTHER accessories that are guaranteed AT THAT MOMENT.
Exactly! Completely agree on all points!

Well put everyone. I am looking for a new laptop what are you guys recommending instead of the new MBP I'm probably going to have to stick with apple at least for this machine. This isn't my primary machine but I use it quite a bit at school and for recording on the road in a pinch. I'm not sure I can stomach $3500 on the new decked out MBP... if you have a good suggestions for a pc laptop I'd at least check it out.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

FWIW, last week my wife chose a new 'old' MBP without the touchbar, because it had usb, function keys, and would fit her existing workflow and accessories (raid, dvd player, etc). Also cheaper. She's very happy.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Check the refurb section on the Apple store and see if there's anything good. It'll be cheaper and they still come with a 1-year warranty. Lately it doesn't feel that newer is necessarily better.
Image Image Image Image

Thanks guys,

I started a new thread so I don't blow this one up and take this off topic.

-Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”