Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

Sysex to Bin converter ?

Spirit2017 wrote:Sysex to Bin converter ?
Like I already said, I'll be looking at this - although i's likely to be significantly more complicated than the D50 one, not just in the amount of parameters, but also the various translations in waveforms and FX settings etc.

izonin wrote:Now in 2017 all I want is a Virus VSTi (coming out in a week).
Seriously..where did you hear about it? I can't find the info anywhere.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Teksonik wrote: By the way a "Rompler" can do VA too...... :wink:
No, it can't. For example, the JV-1080 can't do convincing resonant filter sweeps the way a modern VA (such as Monark, Repro5, Diva, etc.) can.

crystalmsc wrote:
izonin wrote:Now in 2017 all I want is a Virus VSTi (coming out in a week).
Seriously..where did you hear about it? I can't find the info anywhere.
I'm talking about Adam Szabo's Viper, which is scheduled for release on Jan 5th.

izonin wrote:I'm talking about Adam Szabo's Viper
I see, pity that it's 32bit only. A true Virus TI plugin would be very interesting.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:I see, pity that it's 32bit only. A true Virus TI plugin would be very interesting.
Third party emulations is all we'll get. The founder of Access said he won't play the plug-in game...

But then the Virus is a VA, not a rompler with copyrighted sample material, so nothing is stopping an emulation from sounding exactly like the (digital) hardware.

Teksonik wrote: In most cases the Software is far superior to the Hardware. In terms of both sound quality and ability. :wink:

Some cases, not most.

Teksonik wrote:
Anyway to those who understand Synthesis is much more than Analog, something like the JV-1080 is a breath of fresh air.......... :tu:

23 years ago maybe, but by today standards, your very precious softsynths piss all over it.

It would be great if someone could post some A/B files of JV-1080 plugin vs. the hardware. I was surprised how big the difference between a h/w Korg M1 and the software was, in terms of sound quality.

Frantz wrote:
Teksonik wrote: By the way a "Rompler" can do VA too...... :wink:
No, it can't. For example, the JV-1080 can't do convincing resonant filter sweeps the way a modern VA (such as Monark, Repro5, Diva, etc.) can.
Sure it can , it just sounds different , filters are almost 20 years old .
The benefit of a calaculated osc's opposed to sample based osc's are

Some history about V.A. , because I think you're a youngster who has grown up with the latest crop of softsynths .

Virtual Analogue is a term that was first introduced by clavia around 1995 , with the introduction of the nord lead .
It basically means ' a digital representation of an analogue model ,were all components are calculated on the fly , ( motorolla ..was the most used processors )
Later on korg used the term 'component modelling ( 2005 ) legacy edition , etc.
The jv 2080 which appeared at the same year does not belong tot the V.A. family since the oscilators are sample based ..so no direct osc .cross modulation ( fm, sync )
Now ..20 years later ...the term has been re-used , and roughly means NOT REAL analogue :D , roland described their ( crappy ) gaia synth as a V.A. while it's osc's were sample based .
They used a gazillion terms for V.A. =cosm , supernatural synth and now ACB ( analog circuit behaviour )
Here's a sound file from th integra pcm engine ( same engine as the jv/xv range ..)
Which can be found in jv 1080/2080/xv3080/5080 /fantom range /integra /sonic cell etc...

first is a saw trough lowpass +resonance .( 12 db )
Second is using 4 saw waves+ band pass filters in parallel at once for formant like effects .
Third is resonace filter sequence + second partial going trough bandpass .
Real time filter tweaking .( patches were made in 5 minutes time ...just to give you an indication )
https://app.box.com/s/5g0wwbx3fh45xv9bko7k79qzo51ivuec
https://app.box.com/s/klb8wqaxemhqy5mmq96w02044tkexehh
https://app.box.com/s/m7aksmseskb3lsnoij32a4lauedcnipr

Learn how to use a synth , if you haven't even seen or touched a jv ...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

bill45 wrote:
deastman wrote:
devPp wrote:when your wife smashes your synth, you know she's a bitch.

you wanna fight bitch, come at me, but don't touch my fuggin synth!
And that’s the thing. It would probably cost as much to replace the display as to replace the whole thing. 1080s just aren’t worth much anymore.
More actually.Fantaom XR's are notorious for bad displays.$250-$320,just for the part
I’ve seen a nice OLED replacement for the 1080 display for about $100. Unfortunately, shipping costs from Japan jacked the price up enough that it wasn’t really worth doing as opposed to just replacing the whole synth. And how badly do I want those sounds now anyway?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

izonin wrote:It would be great if someone could post some A/B files of JV-1080 plugin vs. the hardware. I was surprised how big the difference between a h/w Korg M1 and the software was, in terms of sound quality.
The JV-1080 plugin uses the samples from XV-5080 which should have higher quality and the FXs from Fantom X. Overall the sound of the plugin seems to be mostly "crystal clear", at least from what i can hear myself.
With such digital synths it could easily happen that the plugin actually sounds better than the real thing and that might be also the case here.
For the purists the fact that the plugin sounds better than the hardware could also mean that it is "wrong" fr them.

With hardware you could also have a specific sound created by the converters that at the audio outputs that could not reeally be emulated by softwrae and which might make a difference in comparison.

Personally i like the plugin like it is also with the bunch of advanced features (which were not used in the factory presets except maybe the samples with a higher quality...).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

There was some mention earlier of layering sounds together in multi mode, or whatever it was called. I actually used to get my best results by layering, for example, choir or string sounds from a JV-1080, Wavestation SR, and Morpheus, all playing the same part. The results were much more complex and interesting, and really helped to overcome the limited sound of any one ROMpler.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

izonin wrote:It would be great if someone could post some A/B files of JV-1080 plugin vs. the hardware. I was surprised how big the difference between a h/w Korg M1 and the software was, in terms of sound quality.
I plan to check it against the XV-5080 to see what's what, I'm just away from home at the moment...

Return to “Instruments”