The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been working on my outdoor impulse recording technique, and I'm getting some pretty good results with my current setup. Here's the latest:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/3wcl48hm ... zvd1q&dl=0

This was recorded in Joshua Tree, CA on a rocky hillside overlooking a flat desert valley, with hills 1000-3000 ft. in the distance. There's a close impulse from about 30 feet away and a further one from about 400 feet away. In the close recording, the impulse transient is really loud compared to the tail, so I also included a "reflections only" version of the 30-foot impulse. This has the transient suppressed and the gain re-normalized so that the amplitude of the tail is comparable to the tail in the 400-foot recording. To get a more natural sound from this, it would be best to mix in some dry signal. But do whatever sounds good. I'm not the reverb police.

Consider these CC0. Use, modify and distribute them however you like.

^ Thank you :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

cthonophonic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:41 pm I've been working on my outdoor impulse recording technique, and I'm getting some pretty good results with my current setup. Here's the latest:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/3wcl48hm ... zvd1q&dl=0

This was recorded in Joshua Tree, CA on a rocky hillside overlooking a flat desert valley, with hills 1000-3000 ft. in the distance. There's a close impulse from about 30 feet away and a further one from about 400 feet away. In the close recording, the impulse transient is really loud compared to the tail, so I also included a "reflections only" version of the 30-foot impulse. This has the transient suppressed and the gain re-normalized so that the amplitude of the tail is comparable to the tail in the 400-foot recording. To get a more natural sound from this, it would be best to mix in some dry signal. But do whatever sounds good. I'm not the reverb police.

Consider these CC0. Use, modify and distribute them however you like.
Thank you!

Aloysius wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am ^ Thank you :)
XComposer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:20 pm Thank you!
You're welcome! :)

Thanks XComposer :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

thank you cthonophonic
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Hello once again, I just want to share an IR of my JVC SP-EXS1-B Wood Cone Speaker to the online community! The IR was recorded with an on-axis mic position and a frequency sweep method in capturing the impulse response of the speaker.

(It might not be in the same league as their famous JVC SP-EXA1 Wood Cone Speakers, but hey this should give an adequate, unique or interesting result. And if anyone managed to have the JVC SP-EXA1 then please do share it too haha)

I do hope the IR will come in handy for some folks out there (like checking their mix, using it as a sound fx, etc.), have fun using the IR!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The IRs I have tried are a bit flat to me. Is there a high quality IR that is dynamic I can try for free, or are IR's a bit flat in terms of dynamic response in general?
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

Is it possible that you may be confusing your terms? "Flat" tends to indicate tuning pitch compared against a frequency, such as a440. "Dynamic" tends to refer to the variation in level or volume in an audio signal. I'm guessing that you are referring to movement within the reverb, of which, convolvers can be referred to as "static", or without any movement. A Convolution Impulse Response (IR) is a static capture of a particular place at a particular moment. It's best at recreating real spaces. A true convolution reverb has no movement. Algorithmic reverbs tend to allow for more movement or modulation within a reverb. That said, there are hybrid reverbs that use a convolver and an IR, but also allow for modulation within the reverb. If I'm not misunderstanding, your question, that is. :)

The key is to know which type of reverb you want for what you are wanting to do. Since you are wanting a range of movement or modulation, I'm guessing you'll be wanting an algorithmic reverb.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:48 pm If I'm not misunderstanding, your question, that is. :)
My issue with the IR's I have tried is that they lack in dynamic responce (amplitude). By this I mean that they did not respond how a cab would, playing dynamically from low to high amplitude. Like quite notes, loud chords etc.

Somehow amplitude 5 does that better than IR's I have tried. But they also use IR's so I don't know what they are doing differently at IK mulitmedia.
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

I'm almost certain there's a misunderstanding between amps, IRs and dynamics processing here. If you want to smoothly go from clean softly picked single notes to distorted loud full chords, that's down to your amp and amp settings. Going from 'wall of sound in my face' to 'could be in the other room', that's the IR. Turning your guitar into a drum kit or doing the opposite, turning it into a stream of never changing loudness, that's best achieved with a compressor (but is in part down to your amp -> your power amp / master / PA dial in particular)

The non-linear behaviour is intimately related to the input signal and playing style of the artist. Every infinitesimal change in input level, from an amplifiers’ driving power to the artists playing style changes the harmonic response of the loudspeaker continuously.
https://www.celestionplus.com/dsr-overview/

I hope that clears things up.

DSR and Bogren's IRDX are just (deliberately) saturating/distorting compressors.

Great stuff!

By the way: if you want to publish your impulse response captures and archive them for longterm availability, you could also use Freesound.org

I think it's a good platform for longterm archiving and accessability of IRs and samples in general. As long as you use tags / keywords, it will be easy for users to find your impulses on there. And you can also create collections / packs of IRs that are downloadable at once, which is more convenient for users than having to deal with single IR files downloaded from various, random sources.

LunarKitten wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:07 am
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:48 pm If I'm not misunderstanding, your question, that is. :)
My issue with the IR's I have tried is that they lack in dynamic responce (amplitude). By this I mean that they did not respond how a cab would, playing dynamically from low to high amplitude. Like quite notes, loud chords etc.

Somehow amplitude 5 does that better than IR's I have tried. But they also use IR's so I don't know what they are doing differently at IK mulitmedia.
It would be useful for you to learn the answer & report back!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Effects”