Documentation of the PADsynth synthesis algorithm

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.
I am Paul, the author of ZynAddSubFX software synthesizer.
I wrote a complete documentation of how the PADsynth synthesis algorithm works. It includes the full description of the algorithm: overview, text description, diagrams, pseudocode; example C/C++ implementations and a ready-to-use C++ class.

Also, I included some audio examples into the page. Please tell me your opinion about it.

I tried to make it to be easy understood and ready to be implemented and/or used into your software synthesizers. Everything (the algorithm, the examples, the implementations, diagrams,etc) from this page are released under Public Domain. You are welcome to include and use this into your programs and I invite the companies/developers who write software synthesizers to use it. Also, I guess that the sound banks producers will be very interesed about this ;)
I don't require anything for using it ;-) ; I just want this to be spread, to be used to make beautiful sounds.

It's page is at:
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm

Enjoy!

Paul

That's a lot of work!

maybe a commercial dev will pick up on your PADsynth code and turn it into something cool!

ahwell, I'm allready a big fan of zyn!

Cheers :D

Shif.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Hello paulnasca

Bless you, Like I said before! I guess you have already been Blessed and now me too :)

Thanks
Fretted Synth

Hi Paul

thanx a lot. I will check that out.

Best wishes, FRitz
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

That's a very nice sounding variation of additive synthesis, with extremely nice applications for "wide" sounds.

I wonder if there's a way to get similar sounding sounds out of the more standard "bin" additive synthesis - probably by using random modulation, in both amplitude and phase, of the harmonics, and using more (higher frequency) modulation on the higher harmonics, don't you think?

very nice work, Paul. Thanks for sharing !

That sounds pretty stellar. I salute you and your contibutions to the open source community :)

it seems that your algorithm is a special case of Bandwidth-Enhanced Additive Synthesis which is used in Loris http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Loris/

here is the paper http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Loris/pap ... iation.pdf

however Loris is mostly used for sound modeling/ resynthesis of exisiting sounds while your algorithm focuses on synthesis of evolving textures.

nice shot, it seems to be both efficient and versatile.

cheers

Hey thank you a lot!!
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

Good Karma for you, Pauly-boy :) Well done

(edit: Whoops, I see you are a good Christian... hehe... I hope my good "Eastern" will still applies :))

Thank you Paul. A very genrous gesture :)

DSP

Hi.
I am glad that you like PADsynth algorithm :love: Hope I will see it in other synths :D
I want to make an offer:
Is anyone interested about PADsynth implementation from ZynAddSubFX? I mean, I can pull out the PADsynth code from ZynAddSubFX and re-release under Public Domain, to be legally possible to be included in any software synth.
Please notice that I am not reffering to the example implementation code from PADsynth page, because it's already under Public Domain.

The PADsynth code from ZynAddSubFX, is optimized (I am reffering to PADsynth algorithm itself, and the sample playback - PADsynthParameters.*,PADsynth.* files).
It will require some time to make reusable (to remove the dependences from ZynAddSubFX) but, if you'll be interested about it, I will do this :wink: .

Paul

Hi Paul! I think that would be cool! If I was to use the method I would propably roll my own code, but it would be nice to get ideas from I guess. One thing that bothers me about the method though is the fact that you have to "apply changes" everytime you tweak something. I mean it would be much more user-friendly if the changes were applied in real-time. Could this perhaps be achieved using overlap/add? or does the large ifft preclude this ? Note however that I think the sound quality of the method is really, really good, so I'm being picky, I know :-)

I, for one, would be interested..

:)

DSP

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”