quick 21 beat demo

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kept my musical mind busy while i was homeless by counting concatenated/odd-meter rhythms.. when i get set up i'd like to pursue same (and microtonal) for hiphop tracks.

one perhaps less obvious rhythm i found 'stuck' well is a 21 count cycle of 3 3 5 5 5.. the 3s flow nicely into the first 5 since 5=3+2 so ~an illusory third 3 count.. (eg. as 3 3 3+2 3+2 3+2)then you get 3 5s so the 3 is ~thematic.

this example also uses a 21/3=7 line.. thinking this would work well in a piece with sections based on 5s and sixes.

jic you're looking for something to get you thinking in (maybe) new directions..

http://www.xoxos.net/idandbe21.mid

("you gotta have an i.d. and be 21"
"..because i'm a believer in the now liberation movement"
-john trubee)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

erm.. "fixed" :p (using logic fun.. can't do prog. change)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I find 4 5 6 2 8 2 6 9 5 2 6 98 5 2 4 8 8 42 1 6 8 9 3 32 4 8 6 3 67 67 3 3 4 7 9 34 5 8 2 3 4 4 567 67 678 2 4 5 24 7 89 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4523 7 5 6 7 sequences particularly effective.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

ha.

I liked this. Very soothing.
Rakkervoksen

holy tamoly!
wierdo :hihi:

good to see you rurik,even tho i know youll now hate me for being concerned :hug:

galloping galloping galloping apple galloping apple galloping apple*

*bobs head and drools unconsciously.

maybe this is a preferable interpretation -

mancini's "take 5" sliced as 5 5 5 3 3

http://www.xoxos.net/take21.mid

rolls imo

this is really good for reference. right now i'm digging deep into my head and getting out the tunes that have been stuck there forever. of course, most are from when i was younger and at home. it turns out all this time i've been doing 4/4 music in practice, but singing in my head 9/8. this is really exciting and somewhat new to me. it's all beginning to make sense though. :) i would shit my pants in happiness if you came up with something in 9/8 so i could look at it and play with it. you and your twisted mind. :P

my lyrical freestyle (such as it is.. not much i can say) is now ~as good in 5s as 8s, which is oc more rhythmic than melodic sensibility. just takes time, but in my impression, apart from the cultural + technologic gravitation to powers of 2, there's nothing intrinsically more "difficult" to other values given practice.

eg. apart from 'take 5,' that one cliche spy theme (i think it's mission impossible) is also a 5 count.. and *everybody* knows that one... X..X..X.X. with the whistle on top..

it's my deficit to be too politically concerned about semantics, but imo further apparent use of non-2n values will encourage an appreciation of diversity.

apart from that, like anything else, you can tweak on it, dood :p counting 9/4s in your last piece was ~giddy, euphoric, like out-of-control feeling but everything keeps snapping into perfect order.. what music/life does.

i posted this to hopefully demonstrate concatenative procedure.. i feel eg. the take21 is very natural and has cultural shock value/'interest' for being 21..

9/8ths is used a load in t' west as 3 3s.. eg. donovan.. 3 2 2 2 has imo more whirling dervish effect :)

'day, john! :) free internet at the pot-bellied pig sanctuary too. you know me.. the day i admit my own concerns over cultural memetics is the day 'i' cease to exist. safe-lock mechanism.

Zappa's song 13 is subdivided 2/8 + 3/8 + 4/4, and it's got a nice swing to it. Makes all the sense in the world as soon as you get it shuffled in your brain. It's more satisfying to bob here and there like a half empty bottle in the waves than like a coked out raver to 4/4 @ 120 bpm. I liked this a lot.
I can't follow all you write, though.
Rakkervoksen

did a hiphop track in 13 as 3x3 2 2.. good thing there's music then :)

unrelated, quick sketch of cheesy lounge meme
http://www.xoxos.net/peace.mid

xoxos wrote:kept my musical mind busy while i was homeless by counting concatenated/odd-meter rhythms..
Good thinking.

I love odd meters (and polyrhythmics) too :) Looking forward to hearing your future odd hop.

xoxos wrote:apart from the cultural + technologic gravitation to powers of 2, there's nothing intrinsically more "difficult" to other values given practice.
exactly - they're just "rare". I do wonder if there are reasons for that other than "cultural + technological gravitation" though.
xoxos wrote:imo further apparent use of non-2n values will encourage an appreciation of diversity.
sort of "wrong-footing" --> "oh! what was that?!" :)

clueless wrote: I do wonder if there are reasons for that
well, erm.. don't!!

something easy in 7s..
http://www.xoxos.net/sevenbeat.mid

Return to “Music Cafe”