Interesting blog about Reason RV7000 [thread five years dead, resurrected]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote:My point is, do not generalise. There is voodoo land and there-is-a-difference land.
True. The former involves unsupportable, often outrageous claims while the latter comes down to real but hard-to-measure factors such as "how good is your hearing, your 'sound memory,' etc.?"

Trick is telling where the line lies between voodoo and there-is-land. I can't always see it clearly.

I have a buddy who used to record music that went on pro DVDs with a soundblaster 16 soundcard (that was taking external keyboards into the SB16 input). It sounded good! He did do allot of processing to get his tracks sounding the way they did. He knew what he was doing(not that I recommend going out and buying SB16s for your music production).

Toonyfish

invitia wrote: Give a professional tennis player an old wooden racket and he still will be a professional tennis player. Give his professional graphite ultra carbon fiber 2000 dollar tennis racket to an amature and the professional will still beat the amature in a second.

It's not the tools, it's the knowledge how you use them that counts.
sorry if this is a bit cheeky, your post is cool only this analogy is a bit weak I think.

I think we can agree that there are measurable differences in equipment that may lead to an advantage in a highly competitive situation. E.g. a tennis final. Or adjust to changing conditions, e.g switching skiis along with different properties of snow in cross-country skiing. Or mics for singers with different qualities.

And professional tennis players compete primarily with other professional tennis players. Just like professional producers and mix engineers compete primarily with other professionals..

But yeah, 90% (give or take, percentages are meaningless here anyway) of getting near that professional quality is how you use the tools.

Oh, and the room that you use them in ;)

http://www.sonicfinger.com/DeadQuietenator.html
The absolute must-get gear for any studio!
I'm a Jugga Nut!

safeaim wrote:http://www.sonicfinger.com/DeadQuietenator.html
At $475 it's not nearly expensive enough to wander into Mojo-territory.

safeaim wrote:http://www.sonicfinger.com/DeadQuietenator.html
:hihi: is this plugin a joke ? Silence = - infinity = 0 (floatng point number) .... what other sort of silence is there ? ... Oh wow, this plugin offers "Vintage" silence !! :? Vintage equipment ISN'T SILENT, it's noisier than most digital equipment .... I'm totally confused ..

Oh let me get my wallet to pay over 400 $ for the space between my sound to be ultra silent, yay ! :lol:

Is there any truth in that plugin ?

Cheers
Fots

Haha, that's the best thing i've seen all week, kudos to the jokester.

soundpalace wrote:Oh wow, this plugin offers "Vintage" silence !!
Yes, the kind with analog warmth.

Even using the best instruments and effects, starting a piece of music with the wrong kind of silence in the background would be like applying the finest oil paints to flimsy cardboard.

You cant be serious!! 8)

Meffy wrote:
soundpalace wrote:Oh wow, this plugin offers "Vintage" silence !!
Yes, the kind with analog warmth.

Even using the best instruments and effects, starting a piece of music with the wrong kind of silence in the background would be like applying the finest oil paints to flimsy cardboard.
:lol: :lol: Now that's funny! :lol: :lol:

Toonyfish wrote:I have a buddy who used to record music that went on pro DVDs with a soundblaster 16 soundcard (that was taking external keyboards into the SB16 input). It sounded good! He did do allot of processing to get his tracks sounding the way they did. He knew what he was doing(not that I recommend going out and buying SB16s for your music production).
Toonyfish
This was really common back in the day! I'll leave it at that.

invitia wrote:This reminds me of my teacher of psychology that told us a story of him always buying hot chocolate from the vending machine and he always pressed the buttons for extra sugar and cream, because it tasted better that way. He also told all his students and collegues to do this, and everyone agreed that the chocolat tasted better with extra sugar and cream added.

One day the service guy for the vending machine was there and my professor was about to order his standard hot chocolat with extra sugar and cream and the service guy told him that the extra sugar and cream only worked for coffe and not for the hot chocolate.

It's all in the mind.

All the Behringer bashers, golden 1000 dollar cable buyers, ultra vintage maniacs, in a blind test few, if any, would know what is really better.

I've repeatedly asked the Sound on Sound magasine to do blind tests, but they say no every time. I think some of their ad-buyong customers would pull away if it was shown that a 200 dollar mixer can sound as good as a 2000 dollar. If a bundled reverb would sound better than a 480L.

Give a professional tennis player an old wooden racket and he still will be a professional tennis player. Give his professional graphite ultra carbon fiber 2000 dollar tennis racket to an amature and the professional will still beat the amature in a second.

It's not the tools, it's the knowledge how you use them that counts.

For years we fought to get the best sounding recording tools, digital, 16-bit, 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, 96 kHz etc, etc, just so we now can say it's too cold and clinical.

Gimme a tube preamp, let's bounce it down to 24 track tape, let's run it through a summing mixer! Let's run it through a analog filter, let's compress it to a flat line, let's add artificial dust, crackels and warmth.

Hallaluja!

:-o :shock: :x :shock: :-o
Apologies for bumping an old thread. But this is am an amazing post.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Gimme a tube preamp, let's bounce it down to 24 track tape, let's run it through a summing mixer! Let's run it through a analog filter, let's compress it to a flat line, let's add artificial dust, crackels and warmth.
Yes, let's!!!

(i think he weakens his own point with this last line, because the truth is running your track through a tube preamp and bouncing it to tape WILL make it sound better :) )

I'm a huge fan of reason, but the RV7000, is a load of excriment. It bearly sounds like a reverb. All of the algorythms are overloaded with color that makes it muddy. There are much much better reverbs out there. I don't believe for a second that a TC with the right settings couldn't blow the RV7000 in to dust. Personally my favorite Reason Reverb alorythm is RV7's low density.
Imperfection is beauty.

Normally I hate adds, but not at KVR, look at all the the toys I can get.

Electronic Punk - Group @ Soundcloud

shalako wrote:I'm a huge fan of reason, but the RV7000, is a load of excriment. It bearly sounds like a reverb. All of the algorythms are overloaded with color that makes it muddy. There are much much better reverbs out there. I don't believe for a second that a TC with the right settings couldn't blow the RV7000 in to dust. Personally my favorite Reason Reverb alorythm is RV7's low density.

this has been going on at the PUF again...

I am happy to blind test a 480 against the RV7K *any time*.

i DO like the RV7K though, and certainly do not think it sounds like excrement, but i simply will not believe any such propaganda that no one could pick it in a blind test against a 480.

Return to “Effects”