EUREKA YOUR SUMMING WOES ARE OVER!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've happened upon a routing scheme in the EMU 0404 and all the other EMU cards, whereby you can route your outputs to your inputs INTERNALLY, from a live host (SX playing the tracks) to another host (recorder) at the SAME time.

What I did is play my live mix in Cubase SX and this went to the ASIO outputs in Patchmix. Then I routed the output from Cubase SX in patchmix to my WAVE Host input (stereo).

I still use Cool Edit, and I set it up to record at 192 khz. I thought it wouldnt work simultaneously because of a driver conflict, but VOILA! It recorded my mix with NO summing inside the daw, but the best part is the mix went thru my converters so it was actually summed OTB style, but ITB!

The results were INCREDIBLE. I may actually scrap my Low End Summing project and invest my business expenses into DAW upgrades. HOLY SMOKES.

Sound Files will be posted soon!!

Peace
Illumination

You decide

BTW this is NOT a blind test....the files are named per their actual methods

The first file was Summed in Cubase SX at 44.1 32bit, master fader at -20db

http://illacov.onlinestoragesolution.co ... 4_1ITB.mp3

This second file was summed through an internal foldback (NO WIRES) from Cubase SX to Cool Edit at 192 khz, master fader at 0 db. Sample rate conversion from 192 to 44.1 32 bit done in Voxengo r8brain.

http://illacov.onlinestoragesolution.co ... b_r8b_.mp3

EDIT:
Heres the same track but summed through an internal foldback (NO WIRES) from Cubase SX to Cool Edit at 44.1 khz, master fader at 0 db. No sample rate conversion except wav to mp3 in Cool Edit.

http://illacov.onlinestoragesolution.co ... TB44_1.mp3

My first impression is the difference in bass and theres something else about the OTB/ITB summed version, see if you can help me figure it out.

There is a difference, I've heard it on headphones and monitors so you be the judge.

Peace
Illumination

Peace
Last edited by mtolympusceo on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

links don't work mate

Oh boy, here we go again... :bang: I call a flamewar :D

Sounds interesting...

Can I chime in and request that you do the internal summing thing again at 44.1? That way we can keep as many things constant as possible, and eliminate the possibility that any increase in quality is coming from the higher sampling-rate and not the summing itself...

links are fixed try em now

its psycholigcal, you can't hear any difference, and if there is, it is very very slight and not worth the bother. thats my opinion, i'm sure people will disagree with me!

Results are obvious (audible) via cheap sony walkman headphones. What other audio cards should work with your method?

Could something like that be done in Linux environment?

this is definately doable with RME hardware... with the fireface you've got up to 14 stereo channels to work with... and the totalmix mixer works at 40bit so there may well be some benefit in summing internally...

tidyguyver wrote:its psycholigcal, you can't hear any difference, and if there is, it is very very slight and not worth the bother. thats my opinion, !

Yes, that's true........

if you're deaf, severely inexperienced, or have a serious lack of talent in terms of perceptive ability.

haha, predictable response! i'm none of those things ;)

with RME hardware...
they are supported in alsa but the method seems to be about playback in 44k and simultaneous recording at much higher samp.rate. don't know how/if totalmix works in linux. what about *pad* RME cards which don't have totalmix?

tidyguyver wrote:haha, predictable response! i'm none of those things ;)
That's what you think.

can i just add something to this, your summed version, the one you recorded internally into cool edit, doesn't keep time, so that might be what difference your hearing, line them both up against each other and the summed one lags alot, bad thing in my opinion.

haha, predictable response! i'm none of those things
If you wave a banana over your equipments, I guarantee you'll hear the difference.

And they're oh-so-analog. Ever heard of a digital banana? I didn't think so.

Return to “Production Techniques”