Synthesis explained

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good resource on the 'net that explained how different types of synthesis worked semi-in-depth.

I'm new to the world of synths and can't seem to find a good place to explain how all of the different types work and the differences in sound etc. that make each one unique...

I feel a little uncomfortable turning knobs and changing settings on a piece of software (in my case) and not understanding what I'm doing. I think it would probably be easier for me to accomplish anything by first knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I think that would be the worst way to learn synthesis. To me it was always about twisting knobs. Just start with something simple.

www.tweakheadz.com
^ This guy is a good starting point. He made some presets for a synth, and offers the best "how to" guide for intermediate or advanced programmers.
www.soundonsound.com
^ Look in their articles for info. If you're hardcore you can look into their synth secrets series, but really they're overkill IMO and a bit oldfashioned (dealing with synthesizing real world instruments like snares and pianos which are really best just sampled).

Ah, great. Thanks for the resources, this should give me plenty of reading material for awhile...

I don't know much about sampling either, but I noticed this author rokkon linked to also has a sampling book.

This all seems like a good place to start learning.

The ARP 2600 user manual is excellent as a starter's guide - the first section is one of the clearest illustrations of subtractive synthesis around.

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/arp/Arp%2 ... Manual.pdf

rounser wrote:www.tweakheadz.com
^ This guy is a good starting point. He made some presets for a synth, and offers the best "how to" guide for intermediate or advanced programmers.
It's good stuff, but he's a bit of an expense-fascist, isn't he?

The first two articles are rather short and IMO good starting points for learning what synthesis is all about.

http://www.analoguesque.com/otherstuff.htm

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”