i am looking for a label (track included)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bluelife,
i am looking for cd production and distribution and i dont want to pay. :-)
but in the end if i find no label do this for me i will check out cd baby.
i have spend the whole 2005 with this 10 songs and i think there could be others like listening to them.

many thanks to all for the hints.

mellotronaut,
many thanks for your warm words. i think you would like the album. :-)
the purpose of my music is, that i create what i enjoy most. soul power.
my personal sound in this timeframe of my life.
and the ideal is to find a label which promotes it.
live gigging is not possible in the moment because of no money for a laptop.
but its only the money, i would even have possibilities.
because i live in berlin and a friend has asked me to joine him doing live gigs.
very cool.

again thanks to all for support.

Well good luck, but it is extremely difficult. The chances are nearly zero.

Problem is there is too much good music... and the supply and demand situation.

Even at CD baby you have to make a CD yourself which costs money.

You know, one just has to invest. And a non-live act is even harder to get on it's feet.

cheers

blue

but isnt there a possibility at cd baby without physical cds? just online?

i know your considerations but i will not think that there a NO changes before i have tried, of course.

gunnar wrote:but isnt there a possibility at cd baby without physical cds? just online?

i know your considerations but i will not think that there a NO changes before i have tried, of course.
CDBaby requires a minumum of 5 copies of your CD to participate. These can be CD-R according to their website. Your CDs also go for sale at several on-line music distributors.

Then you can sign on with them as your digital content distributor and they'll make sure your songs are on Napster, iTunes, etc.

It really only costs something like $35 - pretty reasonable for what they do for you - give you credit card billing, etc.

-Scott

Yes there is.

But look at reality.

There are 1000s upon 1000s of artists and songs.

You will be one of them.
You will have to get people to find your stuff, and then listen and then buy it.

In my humble opinion, it is just one thing you should do.
The main way is to get out in the field and make a CD and sell it at concerts, give it to friends. We sell our CDs at concerts. I haven't had one request over the web, although I am well placed, know how to propegate the site and get quite a few views.

An act that doesn't get out and do at least a couple of concerts a year is not going to get far, sorry but it's true.

The other thing is to colaborate; online too but especially personally in your area, get involved in projects, get to know people.

Without being unkind, the just of you getting signed, are practically zero - not because of your music; but no one knows it, and you have no contacts.

Sure you took a year doing the CD - when you listen in a year you'll think to yourself "jesus, I thought it was so good then" because you will develop.

But you'll develop in a musical, business and contact way by playing and with others and getting into the scene and that will raise your chances of finding a publisher.

well, that was long...

Grüße aus München,

richard

edited: missread something at CDBaby

They just have DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION rights, you still maintain rights to the music. Here's the text from their page:

The Deal
you keep all the rights to your music
you just lend us the right to be your digital distributor: to get your music to legitimate music services like Apple iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, MSN Music, MP3tunes, AOL's MusicNet, Yahoo Music, and more

The Money
NO startup cost. this is a free service for CD Baby members.
we keep only 9% and pay you 91% of all income from your music
you always get paid the week after we do

It's Exclusive
just like in the physical world, there can't be more than one distributor bringing the same music to the same store
so we have to be the exclusive distributor of your digital music to these services (only) during the contract
that doesn't prevent you from doing anything else with your music! just don't go sign ANOTHER digital distribution deal with ANOTHER company that will ALSO send your music to iTunes, Rhapsody, Sony Connect, Napster, etc.
you can stop at any time - with 30 days' notice. we will never tie up your rights or make it hard for you to leave.

Legal Permission
to give us legal permission to distribute your music, you must own or control the copyright for the sound recordings and musical compositions
if you didn't write the music yourself, that's OK, but you must get permission, and pay the publishers their mechanical royalties

-Scott

Yes, I missread it as I said above

bluelife wrote:Yes, I missread it as I said above
I think I was cutting and pasting while you were responding!!!

It seems like a nice clean way to take care of the mess of selling on-line. They keep 4$ per CD sold.

It's worked out pretty good for the Chrysalid project, although we are having trouble with sales. I think you are right when it comes to selling for an indie artist, you must play shows for the most part.

-Scott

Bluelife wrote:"Problem is there is too much good music... and the supply and demand situation."
Problem is also that label owners tell they would like to find original and new stuff, but they act different. Normaly they want more of the same, because the listeners demand it. Another point: There's also too much boring music sent to the labels. Now it's possible for almost everybody to do a trance or house track and think: wow fine, I can send it to a record label. And look at the threads here. Many people would like 10 copies of Led Zep or Genesis a la Gabriel instead of trying something new. Or look at the Stones. They play now 25 Years Rolling Stones Revival Band because of public demand. Look at Can; they could hardly earn a living, but everybody copied their stuff later.
And for Gunnar: Beside of all that: Never make a concession! Make your stuff! In the long run you will win.

:band2: :tu:
"It dreamed itself along"

imho, these days there are nearly as many artists as there are record-buyers so the odds are stacked against ever getting signed, now more than ever. Most labels will only sign an artist that has already created a significant buzz already from performing and promoting their music - just having a finished product is unlikely to get attention. It's probably easier to set up your own label and distribute the music yourself.
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

rockstar_not wrote:
bluelife wrote:Yes, I missread it as I said above
I think I was cutting and pasting while you were responding!!!

It seems like a nice clean way to take care of the mess of selling on-line. They keep 4$ per CD sold.

It's worked out pretty good for the Chrysalid project, although we are having trouble with sales. I think you are right when it comes to selling for an indie artist, you must play shows for the most part.

-Scott
yeah I think we crossed lines.

4§ is fine, until you think to make 1000 costs about €1000 (without recording, GEMA (music rights thing in germany - costs about 90 the first year), mastering, graphics, sending the CDs!

Then you are on about 20 cents if that - which you have to pay tax on.

Anybody reading this sold copies over CDBaby, if so, how many?

cheers

richard

to hijack my own thread.
cd baby has sold:

2004 CD sales : $7.5M
2005 CD sales: $10.3M

2004 digital sales: $0.76M
2005 digital sales: $3.1M

http://cdbaby.org/stories/06/02/08/3949734.html

yes, that's what is says. Give it a go.

Check out this thread. You have to support the sales by playing live, otherwise you don't have much chance - why should you?

http://cdbaby.org/stories/06/02/17/8965709.html

Return to “Music Cafe”