Synth1 Bank Chooser

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The synth1 bank setup annoys me because I can't edit each banks location by typing anything and making it faster to choose banks. So I made a workaround in the form of a small HTA (HTML Application -- uses MSIE and vbscript with wsh) to let me quickly choose banks. My work-around has a folder browser capability the same as Synth1, but the difference is it also allows you to copy/paste the first bank into the second, etc, and just change the path as needed, so it's alot less clicking and alot less monotonous!

Screenshot:

HTA File:
:arrow: http://www.funklabs.org/share/Synth1_BankSetup.hta (right click and save target as)

If you use an antivirus program that has "script blocking", it will prompt you when you attempt to run the script. Just authorize it (I use NAV2003) and you wont have any problems. If you are paranoid look at the source (open the hta file) in a text editor...

This works pretty good for what I needed, so I figured I would share.

Obviously this requires MSIE 5.x and Win2K/XP (not sure if it will work under 98 or not, dont have it to test)...

This makes using that gigantic RAR file that hitman compiled MUCH MUCH more fun ;)

Enjoy and let me know if it works okay!

Edit: oh yeah, if Synth1 is open, and you make changes, you need to close it and then reopen it in your host for the changes to take effect and for synth1 to read the new values from the registry.

P.S. I'd like to figure out a way to do drag/drop from the shell, that would be ideal, but I don't know if that's possible in WSH. I hacked this together, I am not a windows programmer..

This ceratinly improves on bank setup. Thanks a lot. :D
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

grymmjack wrote:Obviously this requires MSIE 5.x and Win2K/XP (not sure if it will work under 98 or not, dont have it to test)...
I get a script error here on WinME + IE 5.5 SP2.

Then it only partially displays the Window.

But don't bother fixing it just for me as I don't really need it.

morelia; np.

eidenk; hrm. it's probably the resize code. try this version: http://www.funklabs.org/share/Synth1_Ba ... resize.hta -- If that doesn't work, sorry :( I would like to fix it for people that may need it more than you though, so please try it. If it works, great. If not ah well I tried :)

There is no script error anymore but only 5 banks display and I can't resize bigger nor can I scroll.

Edit : I found out I can scroll so it does fully work.

I just have to hack the script to make it bigger I guess.
Last edited by eidenk on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ah. Shit I didn't remove the onLoad event handler. Fixed, regrab it. Try it out. Thanks for testing.

It's very big now. 960 x 750 or something but I can resize.

Great. Does it _work_ though? hehe. That's the main thing. Does it work with your registry and synth1? The default window size is whatever windows wants it to be. It's the size of the last IE window you had open and closed while it was not fully maximized, if I recall.

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to do. Changing banks in Synth 1 is only a couple of mouse clicks away. Not sure how much faster it can get. :shrug:

The "I hacked this together, I'm not a windows programmer" and the fact that it's doing registry edits gives me an uneasy feeling. But thanks, Synth1 is one of my favorite synths so if it helps people then more power.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It needs to be properly sized other its unpractical.

I have tried to force resize by adding a html tag to your script, it gives a repeated script error but the windows gets resized.

I'll try if does work with the registry now.

Yes it does work. You should rename the "Configure banks" button to "Apply" I think.

And have little "Done" message on the windows that pops up. And OK on the button.

Teksonik wrote:I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to do. Changing banks in Synth 1 is only a couple of mouse clicks away. Not sure how much faster it can get. :shrug:

The "I hacked this together, I'm not a windows programmer" and the fact that it's doing registry edits gives me an uneasy feeling. But thanks, Synth1 is one of my favorite synths so if it helps people then more power.
Unlike the build-in mechanism in synth1, with this one you can bypass the browse for folder dialog because you can paste directly in the fields.

Thanks, it's a very nice tool Grymmjack and not only for use with Synth1.

I can see plenty of other uses for it.

It should not be too difficult to hack it for other registry manipulation purposes.

eidenk wrote:Yes it does work. You should rename the "Configure banks" button to "Apply" I think.

And have little "Done" message on the windows that pops up. And OK on the button.
There is a message box when you hit 'configure' that should popup saying "Success: Banks configuration completed." or something like.

You can rename it to whatever you want ;)

eidenk wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to do. Changing banks in Synth 1 is only a couple of mouse clicks away. Not sure how much faster it can get. :shrug:

Unlike the build-in mechanism in synth1, with this one you can bypass the browse for folder dialog because you can paste directly in the fields.

Thanks, it's a very nice tool Grymmjack and not only for use with Synth1.

I can see plenty of other uses for it.

It should not be too difficult to hack it for other registry manipulation purposes.
NP. Hehe :) no doubt. It's a ragtag collection of google research basically. I only have dabbled in the WSH VBscript code with HTA's doing an image magick utility and now this. FYI the window does resize and center on my XP/IE6, so I dunno if it's ME or what. Anyway, thanks for testing!

Teksonik, the reason I made it was to overcome the endless "My Computer" starting point in the synth1 bank chooser. If you have presets stored all over the place, clicking the little [+] and drilling down through things is a major annoyance IMO. I would much prefer to copy a path to the clipboard, paste it into the thing I made 9 times, and change each number (assuming the banks desired are a series with 9 folders), then hit Configure :) Instead of clicking hundreds of times to accomplish the same thing within Synth1.

It's nothing more than that. The registry modifications it makes are to the HKLM\Software\Daichi\Synht1\bankset00 through bankset09 registry strings. It's harmless honestly, but suit yourself :)

Return to “Instruments”