do any hosts really have sidechaining?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im not extremely familar with what sidechaining does, but do ANY hosts do TRUE sidechaining, not just a plugin (i.e. tc native bundle)...

?
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

you could whip sidechaining in tracktion 2 or ext

i think

ROnC

I'm not sure what the question is asking. With a combination of plug-ins, you can create sidechaining in any modular environment such as Bidule, eXT, or Tracktion. Generally, though, setup is easier if the plug-in itself is designed for it. Your host will still need to be able to pass 2 separate audio streams to it, however.

well, many people complain that no hosts really do sidechaining, so im just wondering if any really do?

logic

ttoz wrote:logic
should have specified "for windows" but this makes it a little more interesting.

did logic 5.5.1 have this capability?

how do you set sidechaining up in logic?
Last edited by Jason Brian Merrill on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Brian Merrill wrote:well, many people complain that no hosts really do sidechaining, so im just wondering if any really do?
Sidechaining is not an effect. Logic has built-in compressor(s?) that support sidechaining and they have a specific way to dealing with it.

A lot of hosts support sidechaining, but have no bundled sidechained effects. I'd even daresay that MOST host supports sidechaining.

Basically sidechaining means that it's not the same signal controlling the effect as the signal that actually gets the effect applied upon itself.

edit:
A few hosts I know you can do it in:
Cubase SX, EnergyXT, Podium, Logic, Tracktion
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

.. i know sidechaining isnt an effect. Other than that, i dont know too much about it.

Jason Brian Merrill wrote:.. i know sidechaining isnt an effect. Other than that, i dont know too much about it.
Compressor example:
A simple compressor basically has two stages, the level detection stage and the gain reduction stage.
When not using sidechaining you detect the level of signal A and then, if needed (when the level is above the threshold) reduces the gain of signal A.

When using sidechaining you detect the level of signal B and then, if needed (when the level of B is above the threshold) reduces the gain of signal A.

A common application is using the kick drum as signal B (the sidechain signal) and having the bassline as signal A. This will result in that each time the kick goes above the threshold, the bassline "ducks" for the kick.

You could have similar ways to control for instance an envelope filter effect, letting one signal control the envelope stage and another signal going into the actual filter.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Jason Brian Merrill wrote:well, many people complain that no hosts really do sidechaining, so im just wondering if any really do?
To add to the list, cubase/nuendo does it, too.

Basically sidechaining in modern host means that you'll be able to route things freely to plugins with more than 2 inputs. Mostly sidechaining compressors, for example, have 4 inputs and 2 outputs.

It's just that most hosts don't specifically advertise sidechaning capability, since we're only taking about audio routing, and nothing else. If some host specifically features an option called sidechaining, you can bet your ass it's just a routing shortcut for idiots.

What Kingston said.

Though, nothing wrong with shortcuts. If you had a shortcut for routing the audio, combined with a built-in envelope follower to map one source's audio envelope to a parameter of a plug-in effecting target audio (ie. a plug-in that wasn't specifically designed with sidechaining in mind), that's pretty nifty.

Greg

Kingston wrote:
To add to the list, cubase/nuendo does it, too.

Basically sidechaining in modern host means that you'll be able to route things freely to plugins with more than 2 inputs. Mostly sidechaining compressors, for example, have 4 inputs and 2 outputs.

It's just that most hosts don't specifically advertise sidechaning capability, since we're only taking about audio routing, and nothing else. If some host specifically features an option called sidechaining, you can bet your ass it's just a routing shortcut for idiots.
I would be one of those idiots however.

FL has sidechaining via the builtin Peak Controller

I have heard that is more of a workaround and isnt "true" sidechaining. Again, just what ive HEARD..

Jason Brian Merrill wrote: did logic 5.5.1 have this capability?

how do you set sidechaining up in logic?
Yes, sidechaining came in version 4 at some point.

For any plugins which support sidechaining, Logic will add a sidechain menu in the top of Logic's plugin window, which lets you specify a sidechain source (any track or bus).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”