ROLAND VariOS - Any new or 3rd party stuff for this?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just picked the VariOS up myself brand new for $399 from Musician's Friend. The D50 card is free on rebate from Roland. Just waiting for it in the mail! :love: :hyper: I JUST bought it for the D50 card, and nothing else. Can't wait!

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Yes, I love the D50, too and this great sound, i just it a lot ...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

I'll probably pick up the D50 card used if I can't get he rebate deal. Technically this was a NOS display unit, but there was no box, manual, etc. Hoping it works out, but the D50 cards is starting to sell fairly cheap... Hoping the Roland dudes will give the platform a little more support, but you know how they are - sell you today, ditch you tomorrow... :)
audioliquid - aka Neelix
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2GHz, Cubase SX3, lots of real hardware!

Just wondering, How is this different from the V-SYNTH. I know it doesn't have the same FX, etc... but does it let you stretch and tweek the formant and freeze like the v-synth? would this be a good and cheap substitute?

thanks
----------
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. ~Mahatma Gandhi

alas all the varios software runs on a computer - so the variphrase stuff etc will almost certainly be tied to a 32 bit OS - I'd buy one at the blow-out prices but I just know I won't be able to keep a 32 bit os going just to run the synths

but if someon can convince me i'm wrong i'd be happy
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:alas all the varios software runs on a computer - so the variphrase stuff etc will almost certainly be tied to a 32 bit OS - I'd buy one at the blow-out prices but I just know I won't be able to keep a 32 bit os going just to run the synths

Just the controller software runs on the computer. The actual processing and synth engines run inside the rack unit itself. You can even take it out live with no computer and use it.
audioliquid - aka Neelix

audioliquid wrote:I'll probably pick up the D50 card used if I can't get he rebate deal. Technically this was a NOS display unit, but there was no box, manual, etc. Hoping it works out, but the D50 cards is starting to sell fairly cheap... Hoping the Roland dudes will give the platform a little more support, but you know how they are - sell you today, ditch you tomorrow... :)
You won't be able to get the card. You need original store receipt showing it's new and from an official dealer, the UPC off of the box, and the registration card from the box. You must have ALL of that. Sounds like you have NONE of that.

I believe the platform is probably dead. I just wanted the D50 card, the rest is just perks for me. I've heard the voice card isn't worth it, so it's only the D50 for me.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

Ive been tempted to get this. 399 is a steal. I dunno If I want/need yet another audio related USB device though...

audioliquid wrote:
ericj23 wrote:alas all the varios software runs on a computer - so the variphrase stuff etc will almost certainly be tied to a 32 bit OS - I'd buy one at the blow-out prices but I just know I won't be able to keep a 32 bit os going just to run the synths

Just the controller software runs on the computer. The actual processing and synth engines run inside the rack unit itself. You can even take it out live with no computer and use it.
sorry - me and my rotten english again - i know these things

its just i dont fancy programming the synth from anything other than a computer - the rack only has 4 knobs - but yeah i guess you have a point - i guess someone would make an editor for it too

I will have to see whether the d 50 comes free in the uk
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:
audioliquid wrote:

sorry - me and my rotten english again - i know these things

its just i dont fancy programming the synth from anything other than a computer - the rack only has 4 knobs - but yeah i guess you have a point - i guess someone would make an editor for it too

I will have to see whether the d 50 comes free in the uk

Yeah, I don't think you can even do real programming from the front panel, aside from minor tweeks. Be sure to put a post up about the D50 card when you get it. Thanks!
audioliquid - aka Neelix

glaucomys wrote:Just wondering, How is this different from the V-SYNTH. I know it doesn't have the same FX, etc... but does it let you stretch and tweek the formant and freeze like the v-synth? would this be a good and cheap substitute?

thanks
It's got the pitch, time and formant like the V-synth has. Yes, it can do any of the things you have mentioned. Freeze like the v-synth? I havn't got that far with it yet since I recently brought it online but I can imagine it does. One thing good about the Varios is that it lets you sync record to any popular software seqencer like Cubase, SONAR, Logic ect.... I don't know if the V-Synth have the same additional options as the Varios.

audioliquid wrote:Yeah, I don't think you can even do real programming from the front panel, aside from minor tweeks. Be sure to put a post up about the D50 card when you get it. Thanks!
Yes, VERY minor tweaks. Only 3 knobs that are assigned to reverb, and two other things I can't remember off the top of my head. All the editing needs to happen on the computer. The editor is ok. I wish the interface was a bit bigger. Oh well. The sounds are good. :)

Devon

Anyone here from you dudes who wanna sell the VariOS again? I am still searching for a machine... Got no one in germany... :(

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Mine JUST sold on Ebay last week. Didn't like it as much as I had hoped. Oh well. Made all of my money back.

Devon

Shit..! :( Did you know someone who wanna sell it, too?!!
What was the problem with that machine?!

Frank

Return to “Instruments”