ZynAddSubFX seams to be Death...

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The ZynAddSubFX-Webpage is nearly a year not been updated....

...I don't see mutch movement in this project....

Am I right?

greats
schluffs1

hi.
Perhaps you wanted to say "dead" instead of "death" :)
Anyway, I continue to develop it (see the cvs), but at a much slower rate.

Paul

paulnasca wrote:hi.
Perhaps you wanted to say "dead" instead of "death" :)
Paul
and "seems" instead of "seams" ...
but yes, i would hope for more activity to stabilize the vsti version, also i'd really like to see a better behaving gui and a detailled manual ...
of course i'd pay for it then ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Dear Paul, it's great to hear that you're still developing Zyn! Keep on doing good work!

Too bad you and the other guy couldn’t get along… A proper VSTi version would be a godsend addition but then again it’s your code and you can do what ever you want with it.
Current favorites...

VSTi: Charlatan
Music: Bioshock Infinite OST

Oh yes, nice to hear that Paul continue the great ZynAdd. A stable vst version would be nice, but much nicer would be a DSSI version. ZynAdd is a native Linux app and I think this should be the first plattform: The Windows users have nearly 2000 VST synths - but Linux only a handfull.
To continue a DSSI plugin version for Rosegarden4 or MusE or OM would be amazing.
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

Lump wrote:The Windows users have nearly 2000 VST synths - but Linux only a handfull.
then shouldn't be simpler to make Linux software capable of reading VSTs?
I am not a programmer, so it is just a guessing uh :oops:

There are ways to use VST-Synths in Linux already. FST is a standalone host, that loads VSTi and FX with their own GUI. DSSI provides knobs and faders for GUIless VST.dlls. Some apps can be built with own VST-Support.

Yet the problem is not technical by nature - it is the VST-SDK licensing by Steinberg, that makes it impossible to include such apps in the packagemanagementsystems of Linuxdistributions. Those Systems fetch softwarepackages from onlinerepositories to be installed automatically. If you install a modularsynth, that needs certain plugins from another vendor to work, those plugins are installed also automagically - so a complex, powerfull system can be built and maintained with ease.

Those repositories are free - anonymous access, no registration, no backtracking - do what thou wilt... Some commercial vendors like adobe and VMware accept those rules and allow to include stuff like acroread or vmware-player in such repositories, Steinberg does not. So, if you want to have VST working in Linux, you have to register with Steinberg, download the SDK and compile the Hostapps yourself. Possible of course, yet most clumsy for someone, who is used to make some klicks in an packagemanager-frontend and have 2 dozens fine progs installed without any extra-trouble...
nostrum fungitur

oh.. understood :(
*work in progress* :)

People on here might like to know there has been a lot of activity on zynaddsubfx-user@lists.sourceforge.net recently, and it seems there has been a kick-start to CVS too :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”