Easy to use host recommendation?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I personally use ACID, Vegas and Traktion, because I mostly do soundtrack work for my videos, and I know very little about the other hosts out there. But I have a musician friend who wants to start writing electronic music. He has asked for a recommendation for an easy to use, easy to learn host, and I don't want to start him out on somethink like Traktion 2 with it's fairly steep learning curve. My friend doesn't have a whole lot of background on this stuff. Any thoughts?

Well, if he find Tracktion difficult, I really don't know what else to suggest as it is the easiest sequencer out there.

I mean, stuff come in the left, get's recorded in the middle and goes out the right which is where you put the plug-ins; how could it be easier than that? :shrug:
No, that wasn't me.

fl studio is easy to learn...the tutorial videos on their website will help alot. Also the demo is fully funtional so he can give it a go and see if he likes it.

Krystal Audio Engine is very basic, but it can make it easy too. Maybe he can start with that... and your help too.

Bram Bos TunaFish supposed to be "the most accessible vst/music sequencer you'll ever find".
http://www.brambos.com/

Kristal for writing electronic music? Does it even have midi?

I'd say either trackers, like Renoise. Or, programs like FL, Reason.

Thanks much, everyone. I appreciate the experts' help. I'll investigate a few of these and give my buddy an option or two.

Well, when you say electronic music, I will also have to recommend FlStudio, because midi is really easy there IMO. Step sequencer - dead simple, and the pianoroll is great.
snareSpanker

Lee702 wrote:fl studio is easy to learn...the tutorial videos on their website will help alot. Also the demo is fully funtional so he can give it a go and see if he likes it.
I agree with Lee^^^. FLS is the easiest I've used, including Traktion.

"electronic music"

... sorry, i missed that.

tracktion is definitely the easiest to learn ive seen and most intuitive by far.....ableton is also intuitive, especially if you dont have other software paradigms in ur head to get out of the way,...but still a steeper learning curve than tracktion

flippya2000 wrote:
Lee702 wrote:fl studio is easy to learn...the tutorial videos on their website will help alot. Also the demo is fully funtional so he can give it a go and see if he likes it.
I agree with Lee^^^. FLS is the easiest I've used, including Traktion.
Even though it's no longer my main host, FL Studio is one of those purchases that I've never regretted. There's just so much power 'under the hood', so to speak, in terms of formula controllers, etc. and the new(ish) mixer is great for routing audio channels now. Highly recommended.

However, it is strongly based around pattern sequencing (perhaps more towards "electronic music", for want of a better phrase), whereas something like Tracktion is great for more spontanious composition with different time signatures, etc.

i myself found tracktion way too illogical for me when trying it out.

these things are ALWAYS matter of taste, what you're used to, and what you've learned to expect when operating - for instance - your mouse a certain way.

both sonar and tracktion never seem to do what i want to without having my nose in the manual all the time.

energyxt has been easiest for me so far ..

and trackers, but that's just because i gew up with trackers

cubase is in the easier half for me

logic .. well, don't really know about logic, because it's the first sequencer i've used, so i couldn't compare ..

I think it would help to know more about what your friend wants to be able to do...

For recording audio, Tracktion is as easy as it gets... but MIDI sequencing is more fiddly.

MIDI sequencing is easier in a loop based environment, and FL Studio and Ableton Live are probably the best starting points to look into.

On the other hand, if he/she is used to working with hardware at all, then Reason is probably the easiest and most intuitive place to get started.

Tracktion was almost imediate for me concerning the basic stuff.
Mutools Luna
FL studio
Orion Platinum/pro
Abletone Live
Brambos TunaFish

These are the ones along with Tracktion that by consensus opinons are easier to pick up on.
However we all work differantly.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”