using divisi for orchestration in edirol...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm writing to an orchestra in MIDI in cubase and thinking about using a new orchestra VST, edirol looks like an interesting option but there is one question I didn't find an answer to:

When using divisi (div) on for example the 1st violin, I can do it in many ways one of them is just write a single-lined midi for the 1st violin and when the divisi part comes, just add the second line to the SAME midi track.

This way is easy to work with but needs support from the VST,

I read on synful orchestra that they support what they call natural divisi :

"Natural Divisi. Synful Orchestra sections simulate realistic and natural divisi. For example, if you create a ten violin section Program and play a monophonic line then all ten players will play that line. If you play a ten note chord then each player will play one note in the chord. The Synful Orchestra section automatically adapts to the changing polyphony of the part. If you play 3 note chords or polyphony then the ten players distribute themselves automatically 4-3-3 across the notes."

does edirol support what they call Natural divisi? and if not, in what way should I write divisi?

the other option I thought about was writing 2 MIDI lines for 1st violin1 and 1st violin2 and they play the same most of the time, until they are divided, but this way the MIDI always sends 2 midi signals (notes) to the VST.

Hope you can help me with this issue,

best regards,

Hagai.

Edirol is very old and does not support a LOT of new technologies. It may be cheap, but there is far better products. Check the marketplace here. Products like gpo, KHSO Emerald and others show up from time to time.

Mike

Mike

For similar price, there are more powerful and more realistic options out there; however, Edirol HQ Or is great for something with such a small footprint and non-resource intensive.

GPO is definitely not significantly better than Edirol HQ Or in sound quality, especially when you consider how much more space it uses for the samples and how much more RAM is eats up. In most people's hands, GPO is very synthy sounding, and you'd really have to know how to tweak your performances with various MIDI CC's to get it to sound good. The articulations are also quite limited, so you'd have to compose/orchestrate to its strength and away from its weaknesses (Edirol is the same way).

Kirk Hunter's Emerald is a KILLER product for its price. It absolutely slaughters GPO in terms of bang for the buck. It's a very comprehensive library with a far better sound and available articulations compared to anything else on the market in that price range. Typically products with that kind of content will cost you close to a grand at least--that is why Emerald kicks ass. You do need a sampler that supports it though--so that's hidden extra cost you need to think about. But if you already have something like Kontakt or need it for other sample libraries, Emerald is a no-brainer.

Oh, and the divisi question--no, most orchestral products out there don't have that feature. Some allow you the options to use solo instruments and then form your own little sections, or have samples that were recorded with fewer players in the first place. Synful isn't a straight sample library, as it uses a lot of programming--so the way it calculates the divisi is unique to the product.

Return to “Instruments”