Elevayta's next project!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Paul! Let me tell you what your next project should be! :wink:

This world needs a sophisticated signal analyzer that outputs midi! One that can do all sorts of useful and weird signal analysis in realtime and translate the results to midi cc:s. It has been done before, yeah, but there are no particularly interesting products out there, are there? I'm thinking this sort of thing must right down you alley Paul. Am I right or am I right? ... I love it when I'm right! :hihi:

This would be soooo useful! If people just realize how useful, it should be a big seller too don't you think? With the same quality as your other "boys", man what an amazing thing this would be! :love:

Please?

Pretty please!?

Nice thoughts.

Usually I have in mind precisely what I want to achieve. Can you give a concrete example of where translating audio qualities to midi cc:s would be of a practical benefit.

Point me to the example where it has been done before, and the reason why this is not interesting enough.

Paul

Well one thing I'd like to do is control synth and effect parameters using my voice. I could e.g. map frequency to control a filter parameter like lp freq cutoff, have pitch tracking control vowels of a formant filter and amplitude to control volume or maybe envelope parameters. As I'd play the synth while singing, the synth would "follow" my voice. With pitch detection, maybe the plug could even play the synth for me! :D

I see lots of options. What if you could follow the envelope of a track and let it spit out midi messages at certain amplitude or frequency thresholds, then that could be the input to a midi-controllable effect plugin to alter the effect processing of another audio track. Maybe change the reverb depth or feedback or alter the speed of lfos. The result would be that the target track follows the source track in whatever way you've chosen with your FX plugin and midi mapping. (Probably not in a perfectly deterministic way, but that's just the beauty of it - I love those "surprise me" pads! :hihi:).

A great thing is you always have the possibility to record the midi track, edit it, and apply it again without the need for the audio2midi-plugin.

This is all probably not as easy or even possible as I would like to believe. But if you'd go even halfway on something like this Paul, I'm sure it would still be amazingly useful!

Previous work in this area:

http://www.tazman-audio.co.uk/
http://www.nuton.ca/g_musiciendoz.html

I've tried TheExtractor from Tazman and you can really do cool things with that one. I used it together with Cameleon 5000 for example and had my voice control the morphing. Really cool! This plugin never made it past v1.0 though (released 2004), has features that don't work and is not being maintained or developed further it seems.

The idea to control controls of other plugins by my voice sounds interesting...
Think of putting a 303 softsynth into your rack and letting "ControBoy" analyse the spectrum of my voice. Higher frequency would result in higher controller values.

That way singing "woaauuw, wooaauuw" could be mapped on the filter cutoff of the 303...
This would be a VERY intuitive way to control softsynths ot effects...

I like the idea...

Alphacodex

Thanks for reminding me.

I have a whole list of things I want to do. The only problem is that the more products one introduces, the more maintenance one has, and so this slows everything down.

However, I was only yesterday thinking about the same kind of thing so this is a coincidence.

You are probably right,

You have already some very good filters out, maybe it makes more sense to make those "perfect" so they can compete against professionals plugs and put effort into advertising them. Yesterday I visited the voxengo site, and they have sooo many plugs I was completely confused and most of them didn't look like they put a lot of work on them.

Maybe getting your flagship plugs like SpaceBoy, FreqEQ Boy, CloneBoy, ConvoBoy and others to Top Quality will earn you more fame (and then of course money ;-) than making new plugs over and over and having no energy to get (and keep) them top quality.

However I still like the idea, and when you should decide to make such a plug I will try it for sure. But to be honest, from my viewpoint as a customer, it's more important that the existing plugs are maintained and further developed.

Greetings
Alphacodex

Alphacodex wrote:You are probably right,
Yesterday I visited the voxengo site, and they have sooo many plugs I was completely confused and most of them didn't look like they put a lot of work on them.

Greetings
Alphacodex
sorry to briefly hijack..
Perhaps you shouldn't be bad-mouthing developers products when you clearly have no experience with them - I think you'll find Voxengo is a higly respected developer round-these-parts providing extremely high-quality and good value plugins.

And perhaps you'd like to explain to Paul (space boy) where he could improve the quality of his plugins?

I should add that I would also be interested in a new audio2midi device :)

cb

I did not intend to offense anybody. I just said my opinion. You are right, I did not try or use the voxengo plugs. I just compared what "feeling" I had when browsing both the Elevayte and the Voxengo site.
- At Elevayta I got the feeling, they have a clear set of plugins, with every plugin having a distinct scope.
- At Voxengo I more got the feeling like walking over a fair, with lots of plugs, with no clear distinction. However this may only be the picture that the website paints and has nothing to do with the quality end the effort put into all those plugins...

Again, this is only my feeling and opinion.

Concerning the improvements to the existing Elevayta plugins, I have already started another thread.

Thanx for your feedback
Codex

Return to “Elevayta”