Jack for Windows !!!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ab17182 wrote:Hi all,

Sorry if this is off-topic but I came across this site through a quick search for JACK and Windows on Google. I'm looking to take all audio coming from a Windows box and send them over to a Linux host. In my scenerio, I have a program called rdesktop running on the Linux host which uses RDP to connect to my Windows server. Rdesktop allows sound redirection BUT it uses it's own protocol to transmit the sound which introduces abundant amounts of latency.

That where JACK for Windows would come into play. I'm a n00b when it comes to using this in windows, but I downloaded the latest release (0.59) and registered the JackRouter.dll. I then start jackdmp using "jackdmp.exe -d portaudio -D -r 11000" on the Windows machine. I then am at a loss as to what steps I need to take in order to create a src port to send over to a dest port which is running on a Linux box running jackd. Is there any how-to available? Or if someone could run through this and try to list the steps, I'd greatly appreciate that also!!!

Thanks,
-- Adam
Sounds unnecessarily over complicated. Audio goes down an audio cable even better than down ethernet - why not just use your Win machine as the sound source and feed that audio into your Linux box via your mixer or directly?

i get this error when i try to install :
Use 'cd' and 'the directory path to the unpacked archive' so that the console has its root on the rigth directory.
----------------------------
Just 2 questions :
*is wiring between application working ? I've Just try , apps are recognized in the jackctl interface but nothing seems to be really routed, i only have the main audio output.
*Is midi planed to be implemented ?

and a bravo to the men who do that : bravo.

edit

aMUSEd wrote:
Sounds unnecessarily over complicated. Audio goes down an audio cable even better than down ethernet - why not just use your Win machine as the sound source and feed that audio into your Linux box via your mixer or directly?
Because the Windows server is located in NJ and I am in CT (with the Linux box running rdesktop to the Windows server). To run the wire across 2 states would be kinda hard... ;-)

djsubject wrote:is or will there be a vershion for us more twatish users?

IE, a standerd windows install sort of thing,

i downloaded the compiled vershion but it complained that libjackmp.dll was not found :oops:

any tips & hints most welcome :D

Subz
sorry i forgot to mention that i'm a windoz XP user :oops:

:D

Subz

ab17182 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Because the Windows server is located in NJ and I am in CT (with the Linux box running rdesktop to the Windows server). To run the wire across 2 states would be kinda hard... ;-)
Ah OK :lol:

So, I'm finally able to run Jack and QJackCtl!

These are the steps to follow (they can be useful to avoid to read the whole thread which is getting bigger and bigger)

1 - Download Jack for windows from http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html and QJackCtl from http://www.grame.fr/~letz/qjackctl.zip
2 - Unzip them in the same directory (in this example C:\Program Files\Jack)
3 - Open the dos console (start menu, execute, cmd)
4 - Digitate the following commands. Press Enter after each command
cd "C:\Program Files\Jack"
regsvr32 JackRouter.dll
5 - Start qjackctl.exe (which is in your jack directory, in this example C:\Program Files\Jack). You can also create a link to this program on the desktop or in the start menu.
6 - Click on Setup and go on the "Settings" tab: write "jackdmp" (without quotes) on "Server Path" and choose portaudio as driver. You can choose additional parametres such as "Realtime", but they are not strictly necessary to run it correctly.
7 - Go on the "Misc" tab: you can choose to start jack when you start QJackCtl (I think this could be useful) and to ask confirmation before jack shutdown ("confirm server shutdown", I don't remember if this is checked by default). There are other options too, but these are the most important.
8 - Press ok to close the options and then Start to run Jack! The patchbay button allows you to route audio in visual way.
9 - If you want to uninstall, don't delete the folder immediately!!! First, launch the consolle as seen before and enter the following commands (I assume the software is installed in C:\Program Files\Jack, as before):
cd "C:\Program Files\Jack"
regsvr32 /u JackRouter.dll
Now you can delete the folder with jack and QJackCtl.

That's all (I hope!).

Good explanations, but hare are some more points:

- selecting the "Realtime" parameter is important, it configure audio threads to get THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL priority and this help real-time behaviour of the system

- it's better to use the "start jack when you start QJackCtl" option stince using the start/stop buttons are sometimes buggy

- connections are done by selecting a source and destination in Qjackctl and use the "connect" button (same for disconnection) . See http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/qjackctl-ss1.html.

sletz wrote: - connections are done by selecting a source and destination in Qjackctl and use the "connect" button (same for disconnection) . See http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/qjackctl-ss1.html.
hi , i saw the link, but in my case, in the conections window i don't get the aplications im running, i just get
readable clients:
portaudio
and in writable clients i get none :?

- readable client/output ports named "portaudio" correspond the input of the audio card, writable client/input ports named "portaudio" correspond the output of the audio card

- after being installed (see ReadMe) the ASIO driver JackRouter becomes available in the in the driver list of the application, it has to be selected so that the application becomes a jack "Client" and appears in the connection window

ah i see,now theres an asio option , "jackrouter" in the setup of the applications. and then in the patchbay i see the name of this aplications, so i guess i have to "ad plug" in their names so they can appear in the connections window, ...but when i hit "ad plug" , qjackctl craches (for every application i tryied) :cry:
well , its good to know theres this, and maybe with a new version i can use it!
thanks.

ab17182 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Unless you have a leased line, there are no guarantees of latency or audio continuity with just broadband.

nice post, sin night 8)
sletz - thanks for embellishing :D

I use Windows, but I'm not really for it. :shrug:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
UltraJv wrote:
Unless you have a leased line, there are no guarantees of latency or audio continuity with just broadband.
True BUT the latency introduced in rdesktop is even high when on a local gigabit network. It's introduced primarily by the app, not network. JACK however compensates greatly for latency. If you're interested, HP developed their own protocol for remote graphics called RGS and uses JACK for audio transfer. They developed their own audio driver which implements JACK/ALSA and the latency is down to milliseconds as oposed to seconds. I'm not one to advertise and hate paying for something that could be free, but here's a link to their product:

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/2 ... 5-121.html (http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/286504-0-0-225-121.html)

What I'd like to see is using rdesktop solely for remotely connecting to a remote machine WITHOUT the audio redirection enabled and then using JACK in combo with jackdmp to send audio across. It'd be pretty cool to have netjack builtin because then you can have multiple boxes (different O/S's too) all either sending or receiving audio. I can imagine this has further implications with latencies/popping/dropping audio, but if you're on a beefy connection, this can be pretty cool for bands to be able to connect to producers remotely and collaborate easier. :-)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”