The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

Hi, I like the paths known to work simply, (helps keep the machine in low stress :wink: ) so if it were me, I would keep the 250 gig linux, use the big ssd for misc and keep windows on the laptop. An external drive or various cabling can connect to transfer things or hold big sound libs. Before the joys of UEFI, I would dual boot, but not any more. Too many things work well in wine/reaper or wrapped by yabridge to get involved in booting tech. (some people thrive and dance in that scenario) Once in a while, a useful registry entry could be gleened from the laptop, if something commercial won't register in a wine setup. The command 'wine regedit' opens wine's registry.

I have a 64 gig ssd, /dev/sda1 and only 56 gig is available for use (to allow the ssd space to scoot data) and I keep from 4 to 10 gig free for recording, or when editing with audacity. My rule of thumb, is 'nothing good happens when a drive is 90% full' :hihi: I have another setup booting on a terrabyte usb drive, that has some IK, NI, and linux DecentSampler libs that need space, and have a safe spear-catcher setup on another drive for testing new things requiring more linux brains than I care to excersize. :hyper: Mi dos centavos...
Cheers

Thanks.

I don't use sample libraries much (few nice decent sampler pianos, few drum samples etc) so should have plenty of room day to day on the 1tb. As it's all working fine i'll leave as is for now and see how it goes.

BandCamp has grown recently 8) My contribution is a new album, 'Escape From Utopia'.
I like it better now than an hour ago. Listening is the easy part :wink:
There is a bonus Christmas instrumental in the list, not subject to inflation.
Yet :hihi:

https://franklincheney.bandcamp.com/alb ... rom-utopia

Escape.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anyone (using Fedora WS?) has similar problems with VLC finding codecs after the VLC updates that came today on the GNOME Software management app?

until now, everything was working fine for me, but now VLC won't open most videos, giving me the error message:
Codec not supported
VLC could not decode the format "h264" (H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10))
dnf remove + install VLC did not help, but i found out that the codecs still run fine inside Reaper
but the pre-installed "GNOME Videos" player, did not work either, so i'm not quite sure if it's actually a codec issue since Reaper is still working with no problems at all

the VLC app is still showing version 3.0.20, same as on my Mac, on which VLC has not received any updates recently
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Hey FapFilter,

I "suspect" that I have solutions for you for this issue. But first, provided I am correct in my suspicion, I want you to understand that these codecs were removed by design. See:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Fedora-Disable-Bad-VA-API

Here's a bit more info as well, and also a solution:

https://linuxiac.com/fedora-and-opensus ... eo-codecs/

TL;DR -- It's not much different from Windows. You are missing needed video codecs and you just need to install them.
Disregard my message above. I just reread things, and it sounds like you had your codecs working before the update, and something in the update broke them.

What version of Fedora Workstation are you using?

If you are using version 39, you could try the following from this article:

https://itsfoss.com/things-to-do-after- ... ng-fedora/

It is possible that something is wrong with the codec packages. You could try installing them again:

sudo dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-{bad-\*,good-\*,base} gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 gstreamer1-libav --exclude=gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-devel

sudo dnf install lame\* --exclude=lame-devel

sudo dnf group upgrade --with-optional Multimedia
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

thanks, that worked, though i had to add --allowerasing to the last command due to conflicting files, probably because those libraries were already installed on my system i guess that i hadn't de-installed

i also have an additional question:
is there an easy log for package installations?
didn't really find anything useful inside the GNOME Logs app, and inside /var/log are some dnf and rpm logs that are rather cryptic to wade through manually or by grepping, whereas on macOS you have an easy list of pretty much everything inside your system info app

There is the systemd journal:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/qu ... wing-logs/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd/Journal

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... stemd-logs

https://www.loggly.com/ultimate-guide/l ... h-systemd/

https://linuxconfig.org/introduction-to ... md-journal

Edit: Systemd journal is the main logging system of linux. It is very detailed and deep. It’s a bit cryptic, but it tells you most everything about the system.

The dnf package manager has a log too:

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/access-d ... 0and%20dnf.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

knew about journalctl but haven't yet dug deeper in this case.
so if it is possible to also filter purely for installations to get a clean list like this:
12/12/2023 4:32 VLC 3.0.19 installed
12/12/2023 4:34 Reaper 7.07 installed
12/12/2023 5:16 Maps removed
19/12/2023 10:24 VLC updated from 3.0.19 to 3.0.20
i'm set

As I understand it, DNF has its own logging (see the last link listed above). Also, when running dnf, it's good to run it in verbose mode for more details. I'll look and see if I can find any more tutorials for you.

Edit: Wait a minute.... I get a list like you mentioned above every time I run dnf. Are you, by chance, "NOT" installing through the command line terminal? I do all of my installations through the terminal, because I get to see all of this and scroll through it and examine it. If you are not seeing this, I suspect that you are probably not seeing the install info that I see. I actually prefer using the terminal for reasons like this. However, if you are using the graphical installer, you should still be able to pull up the information from the log files. The location information is in the last tutorial from the URL information I posted above.

EDIT: Here's the link again. Please note that the article covers the Apt package manager as well as Dnf. You only have to pay attention to the Dnf part of the tutorial for Fedora. :)

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/access-d ... 0and%20dnf

yes, DNF would be fine, as i'm mostly using that

i of course appreciate your efforts, you really don't need to find more tutorials just for me though, as i haven't even explored the ones you already provided

unless of course somebody already knows first hand that it is only something like
$ dnf list --installation-log
or
$ journalctl --installation-log

my order in priority for additional installations are
1) "native" Fedora RPM through the Software app
2) "native" Fedora RPM via terminal -> dnf install
3) either Fedora or Flathub Flatpaks through the Software app
4) haven't used yet, but Flatpaks via terminal -> flatpak install would be last

but i'd like to monitor every installation, since Fedora is installing tons of (awesome :love: ) "shit" every single day like Kernel/printer/bluetooth/firmware, etc. updates :lol:
and an accessible log like i posted before would greatly help in case some updates broke something, like it did for me yesterday
Last edited by FapFilter on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Why not use quickly use your file manager and just open the log file?

* Red Hat-based systems store the yum and dnf package manager logs in the /var/log/yum.log file. This file contains information about all yum and dnf commands executed on the system, including package installations, updates, and removals.

have never looked in the yum file, as i thought that yum was something "obsoloete"? :oops:

will have a look later if it also contains the dozens of the daily "auto updates" via GNOME Software and if i can ls-arrange them in the terminal a meaningful way, as i don't want to change the Nautilus settings every time just for that :tu:
Last edited by FapFilter on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FapFilter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:39 pm yes, DNF would be fine, as i'm mostly using that

i of course appreciate your efforts, you really don't need to find more tutorials just for me though, as i haven't even explored the ones you already provided

unless of course somebody already knows first hand that it is only something like
$ dnf list --installation-log
or
$ journalctl --installation-log

my order in priority for additional installations are
1) "native" Fedora RPM through the Software app
2) "native" Fedora RPM via terminal -> dnf install
3) either Fedora or Flathub Flatpaks through the Software app
4) haven't used yet, but Flatpaks via terminal -> flatpak install would be last

but i'd like to monitor every installation, since Fedora is installing tons of (awesome :love: ) "shit" every single day like Kernel/printer/bluetooth/firmware, etc. updates :lol:
I see you appended your message with your order in priority.

From the commandline, you can run dnf as well as the flatpack manager. They are two separate managers, so you'll have to look at two separate log files. You always get more information from the command prompt. :)

yes, i don't worry too much about flatpaks, since i only have one or two of them installed, but also because because they are not as prone to break something with an update since they are "separate and complete bundles" all on their own, and don't seem to get the dozens of updates per day. in fact i think the flatpaks i have installed have not been updated since February or so, despite being on Flathub, which should provide a bit more timely updates compared to Fedora Flatpaks

and in regards to your update behavior:
so does
$ sudo dnf upgrade
update everything (non flatpak related) that the GNOME Software app would do?

as i usually just do the latter, and dnf upgrade only occasionally after that to make sure nothing has slipped through :party:

FapFilter wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:05 pm yes, i don't worry too much about flatpaks, since i only have one or two of them installed, but also because because they are not as prone to break something with an update since they are "separate and complete bundles" all on their own, and don't seem to get the dozens of updates per day. in fact i think the flatpaks i have installed have not been updated since February or so, despite being on Flathub, which should provide a bit more timely updates compared to Fedora Flatpaks

and in regards to your update behavior:
so does
$ sudo dnf upgrade
update everything (non flatpak related) that the GNOME Software app would do?

as i usually just do the latter, and dnf upgrade only occasionally after that to make sure nothing has slipped through :party:
It "mostly" does the same thing. Gnome software also runs fwupd as well, I believe. Between dnf and gnome software, however, there are slight differences in how the two programs sync files, but there should be no problem using either one for your purposes. Here are more details:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/ ... -dnf/69119

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”