computer hum

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

besides isolation, what is the easiest way to get a computer hum out of a mix besides re-recording it? any plug ins that can signifigantly reduce the grinding noise that my pickups pick up?

thanks in advance,
Tyler

There are hum/noise/hiss reduction/removal solutions out-there.
The one I've had the most experience with was in Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition).

Line 6 GearBox software also has a hum canceler which works quite well. Not sure how adversely it munches into the tone though..

Wonder if there are any VSTs for this job?

Oh, there are plenty of noise gate solutions too but stay away if you want to keep the attack of your guitar!

You want something with noise reduction algorithm, so that they can analyze the source and subtly remove the frequencies where the noise resides.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me on the matter will butt in right now..

I use acom digital plugs for noise removal. It uses the fingerprint technique like cool edit pro used to use.

it's best to try and not have the interference there in the first place.

Before you resort to noise removal plug-ins, which are going to chop up your signal, check a few simple basics. Try putting a ground lift plug on the computer (the little thing-y that takes a 3 prong plug and turns it into a 2 prong plug). Also, move your mic away from the computer and computer monitor - that was the source of a hum that drove me buggy until an engineer at a studio I was working at suggested a little more separation, which worked perfectly.

Regards,

Ed
Austin, Texas
Land O' The 440 Cycle Hum
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{<>}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Ed Kliman
Publisher
Texas Music Forge
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{<>}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

thanks a bunch, i will try that ground lift option, and look into the plug ins. thanks a lot, guys.
Tyler

The tip about the keeping away from a monitor is a good one! I always used to play guitar in front of a monitor, with alot of noise.

Another tip: good cables! Good cables have a good shielding against the influence of magnetic fields. Instruments that produce little signal (such as a guitar or microphone compared to a synthesizer (line level)), especially need good cables, because you're going to boost this signal even more to make it at the same level as your line level instruments (and to be able to record it properly).

Greetings,

Rutger

yea, i was also looking into a monster pro power 2500? i think thats what it's called. Anywhoo, everyone says that can dramatically(sp?) reduce unwanted hum and noise. I play guitar in front of the compter monitor too.

spuddle wrote:There are hum/noise/hiss reduction/removal solutions out-there.
The one I've had the most experience with was in Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition).

Wonder if there are any VSTs for this job?
Any tips for using Cool Edit Pro to do this? I swear I got this oldie lying around somewhere.

And good question about the vst

Return to “Sound Design”