DI Box or Preamp for recording guitar fx ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Y'All,
I'm trying to record synths through a Guyatone RM-5 Spring Reverb.
I can not get a decent recording level from it as it was designed to sit between a guitar and it's amp and I don't have a guitar amp(or Guitar).
Will a DI Box boost the signal enough to use the RM-5 with my Soundcard or will I need to get a pre amp ?

???? Synths usually have a higher level than electric guitars, so ... ???
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:???? Synths usually have a higher level than electric guitars, so ... ???
I know synths usually have a higher level than guitars.What is your point ?
I'm not trying to record a dry synth signal.I'm trying to record the output from my spring reverb.
The level coming out my reverb it is too low and needs to be amplified,as stated in my question.

Hi Acid. Behringer have a couple of cheap DI options and there is a company called ART and reading the ads in soundonsound mag there stuff is coming down in price (£40.00 for a DI box I think). I use a Joe Meek VC3 (£100.00 on ebay) and I put everything through it - vocals, guitars and it's fantastic, has a great Comp and EQ built in.

HTH

Tony Mead

Hey Tony, Thanks for the recomendations.
I managed to pick up a Presonus Tubepre from Ebay new in the box for £60.It does the job nicely.

To get the best from guitar FX and synths you actually need two DI's. One placed in reverse before the effect and one placed after the effect. If you're only going to use one be very careful with the level coming out of your synth. In fact even if you do employ a reverse DI you're going to want to watch the levels carefully, since the DI isn't there to lower/increase the levels, it's there to alter the impedance of the signal.

Consider it this way; the output of a synth is low-impedance and high-level and you need a high-impedance low-level signal going into the guitar FX. The reverse DI will switch the impedance but not the level, so you'll need to do this on the output from the synth (or use a dedicated re-amping box). Then when the signal comes out of the guitar FX it's a high-impedance low-level signal and you need a low-impedance, high-level signal, which will require a DI and then a pre-amp (again some DI's can do both of these jobs).

The Presonus TubePre is both a DI and a preamp and so fulfills the latter criteria.

Mike

Mike,
That's some pretty useful info.I've never heard anyone else mention this.
Can you recomend any re-amping boxes ?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”