Trialogue

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most people will probably hate this and I can understand why. It's not music as many know it but I enjoyed playing it all the same and find it more listenable than some of my stuff. Something for lovers of experimentation though - let the listener beware :)

In this case I was experimenting with how variable speed guitar sounds using a delay can create different musical textures depending on whether you play with, before or after the delay beat. In the middle in particular I am deliberately tripping over myself and this creates all sorts of strange skidding and scratching type effects that I liked but may seem a bit of a cacophony to some - sorry if it does - none of that comes from additional effects, just from the (generally very fast) playing in combination with the delay. There were points in this where I achieved a kind of "in the zone" state and that's what I want from my playing - I'm less interested in any development musically and more interested in creating texture and space. Musically this is sort of minimalistic in places and like some of Henry Cow and Robert Wyatt's crazier stuff in others.

http://www.fingermarks.co.uk/music/trialogue.ogg

11MB file

11? downloading

so, I have to say that as guitar player I also made similar stuff in the past, so I'm not new to these experiments and that surely makes me a biased listener,

being very tonal, clean and bright you improvisation is not cacophonic to me but almost relaxing, similar *but more interesting*
to some "new age waterish muzic for meditation"

so, I like it, it just misses some room fx, reverb?
Last edited by liqih on Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Very interesting piece. It feels as if there are possibilities with this approach. This particular piece feels random at places (not in it self a bad thing IMO). I'd love to hear something like this with a not-so-clean sound (both guitar and efx).

liqih wrote:11? downloading

so, I have to say that as guitar player I also made similar stuff in the past, so I'm not new to these experiments and that surely makes me a biased listener,

being very tonal, clean and bright you improvisation is not cacophonic to me but almost relaxing, similar *but more interesting*
to some "new age waterish muzic for meditation"

so, I like it, it just misses some room fx, reverb?
Thanks - I'm afraid adopted my usual minimalistic approach to mastering effects and didn't do any :)

Cool - I'll check it out when I get home from work :)

Hey now that is new agey - esp with the Didgeridoo :) very nice. You picked the most ethereal bits and stuck them together. Is the Didge sampled or modelled?

aMUSEd wrote:Hey now that is new agey - esp with the Didgeridoo :) very nice. You picked the most ethereal bits and stuck them together. Is the Didge sampled or modelled?
oh, it's the first preset of EVE 2 default bank, <grin>, Triangle+Solina+Hammond with FM

the part is your first 2 minutes as you went plain,

then you went mad, LOL

Funny I could have sworn it was a Didge - must just be how it interacts with the sounds I was making.

aMUSEd wrote:Funny I could have sworn it was a Didge - must just be how it interacts with the sounds I was making.
yes it's quite buried in the mix,

btw, I see that it wasn't your direction with your track, too edulcorate is my mix I guess

Its ok - its good to take it in a new direction too :)

btw I was wondering if anyone would notice the jazz guitar sound was physically modelled :)

Return to “Music Cafe”