Ubuntu Studio released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

x server seems to be broken; i can't start up. anyone? help....
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

f**k.

well, back to jacklab.
Soundcloud
T4M

I had to use the ATI proprietary drivers (off of the ati website) to get X to start.. actually.. I had to do that to get it running in v6.. in v7 I think they it just loaded w/o them.. though the graphics acceleration is poor. For some reason the installation screen for the ATI drivers is WAY too big to fit on the screen (when selecting a specific package type - ubuntu 7 in my case) and naturally U is probably the lowest letter on that drivers list and theres NO scrollbar on the ati driver install screen sooo

long story short I can't install the ATI drivers :lol:

so it sounds like you installed Ubuntu and then used the Ubuntu-Studio repos to update?
I can't start any x server, so i don't know how i could get the ATI driver, much less install it. :lol: damn!

You know, i really want to like ATI; Canadian company and all, I would love to support them. Their hardware is quite excellent, but f**k!!!! how bloody hard can it be to support Linux and OpenGL properly?? they are so f**ked about it. You know what us blender3d users with ATI Radeons are doing?
renaming the Nvidia OGL driver and dropping it in the blender folder. and it WORKS!!! It works really well, in fact :lol:
A .dll for a different piece of hardware made by a competitor works better than their own!!!!!! :bang: :lol:
Well, anything would work better than ATI's openGL support!
Soundcloud
T4M

yeah.. well I burned the US dvd and then used that to update instead of going through the internet repos..

I finally got fglrx working.. only to find out I only get ~395 fps in glxgears :o :(
I used to get 3x (at least) this number in ubuntu 5.10.. one person reports getting ~1100 FPS using a Radeon 7500 - an inferior card compared to what I'm using.

so either there is a problem with the most recent ATI drivers, an issue with Tweaked Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio), or some other issue I'm not considering..

actually writing this out.. I now realize that I'm using an i386 kernel.. I wonder if using a K7 or 686 specific kernel would speed my framerates up.. because its bad at the moment, I cant even run most of the screensavers :o its a slide show.

In any event I don't think I'll go back to ATI for graphics again.. just because their drivers consistently suck.. I've had issues with ATI drivers in Windows too (with different Radeon cards over the years)

yet my Nvidia GF6 series card and drivers have been pretty darn solid.. years ago I had a GF4ti and it was solid as well.. hmmms..

maybe with the AMD/ATI thingy really coming together they'll sort their stuff out.. but I doubt (at least in my case using Xpress 200M IGP) that they'll do anything about it for older cards.

oh well.. at least things seem stable.. the new theme is fantastic and my brief play with the actual software (almost forgot my purpose for messing with all of this crap) was pretty fun.. I can see lots of potential music.. *heh heh hehhh*

Hi guys! Please someone to explain me how to update-install the new beta Alsa drivers 1.0.14rc4. step by step...
I'm posting from Ubuntu Studio.
I have EMU 1212m and just realized that it is supported by the new
driver 1.0.14rc4 not the included one ...
http://www.alsa-project.org/

Thank you!!!

What the hell is "Ubuntu Studio"?? That first link doesn't work... :?

if it isnt in the ubuntu unstable/alpha branch, you probably have to rebuild the whole new version of alsa from source, and compile a new kernel which would pretty much defeat the purpose of using a specific distro anyway.

"Ubuntu Studio" is a special branch of ubuntu, which is a branch of debian, which is a full-gpl linux distro.
the studio distro of ubuntu includes a realtime version of the kernel, extra audio code (drivers, apps) and audio related tweaks to configuration. it's pretty young at this point, consider it "beta", like "it's probably broken, but you can test it for fun or to help fix it"

aciddose wrote:if it isnt in the ubuntu unstable/alpha branch, you probably have to rebuild the whole new version of alsa from source, and compile a new kernel which would pretty much defeat the purpose of using a specific distro anyway.

"Ubuntu Studio" is a special branch of ubuntu, which is a branch of debian, which is a full-gpl linux distro.
the studio distro of ubuntu includes a realtime version of the kernel, extra audio code (drivers, apps) and audio related tweaks to configuration. it's pretty young at this point, consider it "beta", like "it's probably broken, but you can test it for fun or to help fix it"
So is this an OS optimized for audio/multimedia, like BeOS? Is that the idea?

since is "released", the webpage gives me this:
Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

That's what I got too.

"So is this an OS optimized for audio/multimedia, like BeOS? Is that the idea?"

no, not really. the os isnt much optimized. the kernel has some configuration making it semi-optimized for audio, but mostly this is just a "package" of software and drivers which are suitable for media production, specifically audio, video, i do not think there is much support for other media types.

the goal of the project is to provide a cd you can plug in, hit install and have a fully functional daw with 100% free software working with zero effort. that of course isnt the current state of the project though, it's a new project.

aciddose wrote:"So is this an OS optimized for audio/multimedia, like BeOS? Is that the idea?"

no, not really. the os isnt much optimized. the kernel has some configuration making it semi-optimized for audio, but mostly this is just a "package" of software and drivers which are suitable for media production, specifically audio, video, i do not think there is much support for other media types.

the goal of the project is to provide a cd you can plug in, hit install and have a fully functional daw with 100% free software working with zero effort. that of course isnt the current state of the project though, it's a new project.
Cool idea! Thanks for the info, aciddose. :D

bduffy wrote:
aciddose wrote:"So is this an OS optimized for audio/multimedia, like BeOS? Is that the idea?"

Cool idea! Thanks for the info, aciddose. :D

Yeah! That really IS a cool idea. I sure hope it matures over the next few months. If it does, I reckon I'm going to make my DAW into a dual-boot XP/Linux machine so I can seriously test it out. :)

It appears ALL the current nvidia drivers are supported also, which is good for me. :hyper:

Upgrading ubuntu over version numbers is always a nightmare. It took me two days to get my machine in a functional state after I upgraded from dapper to edy.
Upgrading from edgy to anything later should be easier. They included a new distro-upgrade app in that one.
If you want to try out ubuntu studio I recommend a clean install.
I even recommend a clean install if you wish to upgrade versions, unless you're prepared to do some command line stuff. (just keep your data on a seperate partition and you'll be fine)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”