Why do all DAWs have such bad graphics?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kilon wrote:
swivel wrote:
Jono-60 wrote:No one knows how to make a Piano Roll look good apart from FL Studio. Other DAWs are a total turn off because of this.
energyxt (v1) has a good piano roll.
and Ableton live too, you can also fold the notes used which is supra-ultra-cool. I am a Ableton live fan but I vote Reason 4 for the best looking DAW for 2007 !!!!
Well i agree that Reason 4 looks great and i might get it after getting tired of all the problems with Vst's and how different hosts are handling them.

I don't see Reason as a DAW application since it does'nt have audio in or audio tracks, but i know that it will be rock solid and works great out of the box.

Klemperer wrote:
stefancrs wrote:Do you think this applies to all DAWs? I think quite a few have very good graphical user interface designs, both ergonomically and aesthetically speaking. Personally, I think that so far EnergyXT and Podium have the best GUI designs.
I agree on both. Podium is just great in that area!

And Reaper has some new skinning-possibilities that are great now.
Yeah, but while there are skins that have good actual graphics, I don't like the over all UI design in Reaper (at the moment).
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

stefancrs wrote: there are skins that have good actual graphics, I don't like the over all UI design in Reaper (at the moment).
Let's say Podium looks better :) , that's true for me too - but for me Podium is unbeatable in that area since the time I know about it (in contrary to you I know and own it only since a few weeks, but saw pics of your "Anna" synth in a podium-pic and a few podiums pics more made by you. By the way I remember the name "SANGSPAR" on it which I quite like, does that mean Gesangsspur, voice track I think?. Anyway I couldn't forget that name :)).

I hear there are new things planned for Reaper. I'd wish Podium was as well-known around here at KVR like EXT and Reaper are, because it's a great host with not only a most well-organised skin.

beej wrote:
:roll:

Just bcause you [don't use it/don't need it/don't understand it] *delete as applicable* doesn't mean you should force your values of particular functions on to other people.

I'm all for improvements in Logic, but not dumbing down at the request the people who don't even use those functions anyway.
Don't worry, I'm in no way related to Apple - so I cannot take away any features. I'm merely stating my opinion. :roll:

Klemperer wrote:
stefancrs wrote:....so far EnergyXT and Podium have the best GUI designs.
I agree on both. Podium is just great in that area!
:tu:

Podium's interface is invitingly marvelous and unique.

Interfaces such as Renoise and Live also show thoughtful design.

bullshark wrote:What do you want them to look like? They are tool designed for a specific purpose, the interface should be as clear and concise as possible while being unobtrusive.

You know, those date back to the early 1900's:

but I've yet to see a mechanic complain that they look outdated.
+1
..::*Jack of all DAWs* brianbotkiller.com : OBEDIA.com::..

Klemperer wrote:
stefancrs wrote: there are skins that have good actual graphics, I don't like the over all UI design in Reaper (at the moment).
Let's say Podium looks better :) , that's true for me too - but for me Podium is unbeatable in that area since the time I know about it (in contrary to you I know and own it only since a few weeks, but saw pics of your "Anna" synth in a podium-pic and a few podiums pics more made by you. By the way I remember the name "SANGSPAR" on it which I quite like, does that mean Gesangsspur, voice track I think?. Anyway I couldn't forget that name :)).

I hear there are new things planned for Reaper. I'd wish Podium was as well-known around here at KVR like EXT and Reaper are, because it's a great host with not only a most well-organised skin.
Yup, it means "voice track" (or, well, more precisely song vocals track), I just wish I could remember when I ever posted such screenshots :oops:
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Pipelineaudio wrote:
Shane Sanders wrote:
Pipelineaudio wrote:Perhaps because the second word in DAW is "audio"?

I saw someone tear down more than a million dollars of George Augsperger's acoustic treatment and speakers, because he thought the purple auralex foam system would look better
Seriously? Who was it?
The guys who bought Vintage Recorders, somewhere around 2002

Horrifying and heart breaking.
Loonies! :-o So much for eye-candy... IDGF personally how *anything* looks as long as it sounds good. Crackpots.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I am using C4 and I love its graphics. It's not flash. It's simple and ok. The dark colours are very nice. But I don't like the gray ("Win-like) hosts such as ReAper or Acid...

@djquikcompton,you said all hosts but you only listed four.So maybe you just haven't found the right one yet.I really didn't like the gui of live for a long time and went looking for host with a 'better' gui but ended up coming back to live.Trying these other hosts made me realise just how good the live interface is and i don't just mean visually.I can spend hours working with it and my eyes never grow tired.With it been aimed at live use i think it's really important that they get it right,eg it's not glaring or too bright or distracting in a dark club etc.Imo it's the music thats important,not flash graphics :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Leeate wrote: But I don't like the gray ("Win-like) hosts such as ReAper or Acid...
White Tie got a new transport coming up for REAPER...

for this skin:

Did you say Win-like? :o

Modern, over the top graphics sucks power that could be used for the main purpose of the program, creating sound. Designers also want their DAW's to work on laptops.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

alex zonder wrote:
Leeate wrote: But I don't like the gray ("Win-like) hosts such as ReAper or Acid...
White Tie got a new transport coming up for REAPER...

for this skin:

Did you say Win-like? :o
that looks like i threw up christmas

Uhm, i found out that if i spend a little time with a piece of software i kind of forget about the looks of the gui, that may make an impact the first times, but when you actually use it a while it's all the same. God i used to cut samples within cool edit pro, not bad ui, but that green? Ouch, and think it's still there in audition's base palette. Yes you can change it in the menu, but somehow i never bothered.
je n'ai pas besoin de copier.
My Website
My music on Last.fm

from a purely graphics/looks standpoint, Podium for me. From a workflow standpoint, Renoise for me.

8)
ITM: Inappropriate. Touching. Music.
electronic/hip hop
http://jazzyspoon.com/MELODAY.htm
http://www.myspace.com/mldy

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”