Talented pop songwriter desperatly in need of mixing advice

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you are into Brian Wilson,Beatles,Stooges,Stones,White Stipes,Motown,60's influence with a modern/timeless sound. very into pop production

power pop, sunshine pop, folk rock, garage, punk, New Wave you should appriciate these songs

Just a quick comment on the song and the mix and what you think it needs, cause it could be a lot better.

and if you like it and want to possibly add your expertise in mixing please read on.

The links are below this paragraph

I think this might be an efficient way to upgrade the mixes of the songs I have recorded using Samplitude. I have hired various engineers but most are used to working in, you know Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar, So I act as the interface. So while I have learned a lot the more I learn the more I realize I need to learn. I'm thinking if I had a someone that really knows Samplitude that would be a big plus. But either way, someone with good taste and great engineering skills would be incredibly helpful to me. The fundamentals of skilled engineering are the same no matter what program you use. It is a lot easier to send a complete Samplitude project instead of bouncing all the tracks but that is certainly possible. Of course you have to also be into type of production sound that I am into but you can check out the Power Pop, Sunshine Pop, Garage/punk/New Wave Styles that I work in.

Below are links to where you can hear the clips and read my influences.

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacemarc

http://www.myspace.com/bleep9

Its would also be helpful if you have the same plug ins. The Uad 1 card(I have 2) with the ultra pac plug ins. I also have the Waves bundle of plug ins. That way I could replicate things you do or use advice you are giving me. I could also study the settings you use which would be a huge plus. But I understand the concepts are still the same no matter which plugs you use. But there's gotta be a lot of people with UAD and wave plug ins….right

I also use BFD for midi drum tracks created on a Roland td6 KIT and it would be really good if you knew that.

So if you are really experienced in using compression, Eq, Reverb and using them with properly routed sub busses and aux busses and putting the right effects and processing on the correct busses please contact me.

Also your advice about stem mixing and mixing differently if I'm having it mastered. Or how good can I master it myself.

I know it's a bit like I want to have an instant method to make my songs sound great and mixing and engineering is a very complex craft that takes years of learning, experimenting and practicing methods to get great sounds.

But…..I'm one of those who are more interested in, and better at the song writing, arranging, musician part of the process.
Not very technical or mathematical at all. I am trying to learn more and more. I've found that I have just too many songs to hire engineers and its not financially viable. So I have come to the realization that the ability to do it all myself opens up a world of possibilities. I've found from first hand knowledge how steep the learning curve is to really be a fist rate engineer and really respect and admire those with the tenacity to get to that point.

"Doing it all yourself" gives you freedom but does create potential problems. Having another set of ears and ideas and input will certainly help create better tracks…so that's where you come in.

So with my songwriting ability and your production and engineering skills perhaps we can turn out some really awesome sounding tracks that people really enjoy.

That's the whole point of this …..right

I'd be eternally grateful and the credits you deserve for helping me will be in big bold letters on the CD, in my bio, my PR and anywhere else I can post them. Budget is non existant but payment is within the relm of possibility.
Thanks so much for just reading this.

Ah so here we are in music cafe with the absolute strangest post... Lucky for you I am a person with NO MoneY and I am sitting at home on a saturday night waiting for my girlfriend who also has No MoneY.... Truthfully this post looks like it belongs in the village voice. If you want help mixing you tracks on music cafe.. a simple " Help me Mix " subject, and a link to the tracks will suffice... My advice to anybody in music today is DIY. Do it Yourself. With the advent of music on the net its anybodies game really, and you dont need a record company.... I can not tell you how many e mails I get every month wishing me well.... From people from Japan, to Germany, To my home country the USA... If I were you I would try first on the cafe with Help mixing one Track... you have about 8 tracks to listen too, and this takes quite a bit of time.... Music cafe is a place we can all learn and grow. I will listen a second time, to one of your tracks.... and give my best mixing advice..... Don't go anywhere... I will post again before midnight...
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

The track I have choosen to help you mix is " out of our Heads " I quite like this track... ITs dark, and it has a nice rythm. and it reminds me of the city I grew up in, a city I havn't seen much in the last ten years as I have been traveling around the world.... Ok, first the vocal in this track need to be totally rethought. everything is great sounding until the chorus. I would go with a much more natural vocal, rather than the falsetto stuff.. also I wish the timing on the guitars was a little tighter..... Learning to mix a track is a long long amount of typing. my god, your guitar playing is borderline f**king AWESOME...... I still think, maybe you are better off, bouncing this Track down to audio and I will do a super mix... a Johnny2Johnny super mix... Out of our heads, Redo the vocals on the chorus.... bounce everything down to audio and get somebody to mix. it will take you forever to learn to mix a track. if you dont know anything about it. and its a shame. cause out of our heads its actually an awesome track... you could probably sell it to a young rock band if this were 1990 and record companies still had money.... but they dont. so learn to do it yourself. which is way to much for me to type. or I dunno......

bassically what is wrong with this mix is the bass is muddy, not eq'd right, not compressed. the guitars are not panned, properly, and interfearing with the vocals, the vocals do not have the right delay and reverb setting, and the drums are out of wack....

when you mix, try n start with the drums, bring everything up around that. I hope you get some more feedback

Our Of our Heads is an awesome track. Like everything in life. it needs a club remix...
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Return to “Music Cafe”