piz midi plugins (windows/linux/mac)

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midiSwing update:

http://thepiz.org/xt/midiSwingX4.zip

among some other minor improvements (including useless presets), i added a "NoteOff" parameter which sets how note-off messages are handled.

- Equal Delay: old mode, note-offs are delayed by the same amount as note-ons, so original note length is preserved, but this causes notes to overlap

- Stingy Delay: note-offs are delayed only for short notes (when the delay is longer than the original note), so swung notes are usually shortened

- Legato: note-offs are delayed by the same amount that a note-on would be at that position, meaning that if you input notes without any gaps between them, it should stay that way (the note before the swung note becomes longer)

"midiProbability" coming soon
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

insertpizhere wrote:
glObalist wrote:Image
the "Note 2 CC" in that list isn't my plugin. all my plugins will show up as VST instruments in Cubase. i had to do this since Cubase can't use VSTs as inserts on midi tracks.
Oh snap! I knew this would be easy:)

I did find them under VSTis, thanks a lot!
EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra --- AMD64 Venice 3200+ @ 2,5Ghz --- 1GB Corsair Value DDR400 --- inno3D 7600GST ---> Neovo F-419 19" LCD --- E-MU 0404 --> M-Audio Studiophile BX5a

And now, how do I get this connected into my midi chain?

Suppose I have one midi track with Addictive Drums as output, and my E-Drums as input. Seeing as your nice little plugin must either be set as input or output on a track, how should I connect it? Create a separate track for it and then group the two tracks together somehow?
EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra --- AMD64 Venice 3200+ @ 2,5Ghz --- 1GB Corsair Value DDR400 --- inno3D 7600GST ---> Neovo F-419 19" LCD --- E-MU 0404 --> M-Audio Studiophile BX5a

i think you have to make two tracks, and then route it like this:

track 1 - in: E-Drums; out: midiNotesToCC
track 2 - in: midiNotesToCC; out: Addictive Drums
wrongtastic, baby

Hmm, I did that earlier but I'm not getting any sound when playing the Edrums:

1st MIDI track:

2nd MIDI track:

I even tried with both tracks record-enabled. Here's my midinotetoCC settings:

(In case you're wondering, I'm trying to get a certain note played from my Yamaha DD-65 converted to a CC message here)

Any other ideas? Maybe the channels are wrong?

both tracks do need to be record-enabled (or monitor-enabled). i also would set both tracks to the same channel. then it should work, unless MIDI Thru is turned off in the Cubase preferences...
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:i had to do this since Cubase can't use VSTs as inserts on midi tracks.
I'm so glad you did! It allows me to use these plugins in a much more creative way and saves my hide in those situations where I need to plug in some control anywhere. Honestly I wish more devs would do this with VST's!!
insertpizhere wrote:midiSwing update
Thnx piz will test it out later.
insertpizhere wrote:"midiProbability" coming soon
Nice cant wait for it.
stay juicy!

insertpizhere wrote:both tracks do need to be record-enabled (or monitor-enabled). i also would set both tracks to the same channel. then it should work, unless MIDI Thru is turned off in the Cubase preferences...
I've ensured all this is the case but still no sound coming through. Any more ideas, please? You plugin is the only thing keeping me from returning this DD-65 into the store - because of the disfunctional MIDI implementation of its hat pedal :)

glObalist wrote:I've ensured all this is the case but still no sound coming through. Any more ideas, please? You plugin is the only thing keeping me from returning this DD-65 into the store - because of the disfunctional MIDI implementation of its hat pedal :)
something else occurred to me... for this configuration to work, midiNotesToCC would have to send through the notes. i added a "thru" parameter for this, but from your screenshot it looks like your version doesn't have it.

try this one: http://thepiz.org/xt/midiNotesToCC.zip

the last parameter should be Thru, so set that to "Yes"

i think i might add another Thru mode, where it only sends notes that haven't been converted to CCs.

edit: another thought... if you only want to use the velocity of one note as a CC, it might be easier to use midiConverter2.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:
glObalist wrote:I've ensured all this is the case but still no sound coming through. Any more ideas, please? You plugin is the only thing keeping me from returning this DD-65 into the store - because of the disfunctional MIDI implementation of its hat pedal :)
something else occurred to me... for this configuration to work, midiNotesToCC would have to send through the notes. i added a "thru" parameter for this, but from your screenshot it looks like your version doesn't have it.

try this one: http://thepiz.org/xt/midiNotesToCC.zip

the last parameter should be Thru, so set that to "Yes"

i think i might add another Thru mode, where it only sends notes that haven't been converted to CCs.

edit: another thought... if you only want to use the velocity of one note as a CC, it might be easier to use midiConverter2.
Thanks a lot, I'll try the updated version. The Thru mode for notes not converted to CC might just be it.

So this preliminary Thru mode you just added, what does it let thru if not the notes not converted to CC?

glObalist wrote:Thanks a lot, I'll try the updated version. The Thru mode for notes not converted to CC might just be it.

So this preliminary Thru mode you just added, what does it let thru if not the notes not converted to CC?
well, i just added the other mode.
http://thepiz.org/xt/midiNotesToCC.zip

now the current thru modes are:
Off - doesn't send through anything, only sends out converted CCs
Unconverted - only blocks notes that are being used as CCs
Yes - sends through everything in addition to converted CCs

let me know if you can't get it to do what you want.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:
glObalist wrote:Thanks a lot, I'll try the updated version. The Thru mode for notes not converted to CC might just be it.

well, i just added the other mode.
http://thepiz.org/xt/midiNotesToCC.zip

now the current thru modes are:
Off - doesn't send through anything, only sends out converted CCs
Unconverted - only blocks notes that are being used as CCs
Yes - sends through everything in addition to converted CCs

let me know if you can't get it to do what you want.
It seems to be working now, good job man, I can finally hear the sounds. But

1)it seems to be polling for the note-on event at too long intervals, which results in me pressing the hat pedal and it only some times converting the note to the CC message. Seems quite random to be honest.

2)it would be nice if it also included a note-off setting of sorts. What I'm trying to do is to convert note 44 (hat pedal; stupid Yamaha made this a note instead of a Note AND CC event) from my Edrum to act as CC 64 for this other plugin, which then takes a CC message and alternates between the hat pad sound (open/closed)accordingly:

And here my current "semi-working" settings for your plugin:

I tell you I'm never buyig another Yamaha product again, ever :cry:

glObalist wrote:1)it seems to be polling for the note-on event at too long intervals, which results in me pressing the hat pedal and it only some times converting the note to the CC message. Seems quite random to be honest.
that's weird...
2)it would be nice if it also included a note-off setting of sorts. What I'm trying to do is to convert note 44 (hat pedal; stupid Yamaha made this a note instead of a Note AND CC event) from my Edrum to act as CC 64 for this other plugin, which then takes a CC message and alternates between the hat pad sound (open/closed)accordingly:
there are note-off settings, they're the "rest" values. but hmmm... you might want to only convert the velocity to a CC. maybe you could send me a midi file of a few hits on the hi-hat with the pedal open and closed...

edit: i gave this some thought. i think these are the settings you want:

this will convert all note-ons at note 44 to CC 64 at 127, and all note-off 44 to CC64 0. this should work, assuming the "dynamic hat" plugin works right.
wrongtastic, baby

I believe you've done all you could to help me and it's really appreciated.

But I just can't get this to work the way I need it. I'm gonna call Yamaha to see if they have a solution, then return the kit if they don't.

Cheers man!

I'm uploading a version of midiProbability:

http://thepiz.org/xt/midiProbability_0.zip

It has two slots which can affect different step values. Each slot has the following parameters:

Step - Like the quantization grid in a midi sequencer... for example, "16" means notes starting on the 16th note gridlines will be affected by this slot. Go up past "64" and you get "All Notes" which means the grid isn't used (all notes have a chance to be affected).

StepShift - Shifts the grid set by "Step" from 0 up to 100% (the following gridline).

Mode - What to do with the selected notes. Choices: Off, Skip, OctaveUp, OctaveDown, RandTransp, RandVeloc, Channelize, Multi.

Prob - Overall probability for the slot, or how often notes at the selected step will be affected, from 0% (never) to 100% (always). When Mode is set to Multi, the separate effect probabilities are scaled by this overall setting.

The slots are processed from top to bottom. If an effect from the first slot is applied to a note, the second slot will be skipped for that note.

Following the per-slot parameters are the settings for the "Multi" effect probabilities. When "Multi" is selected, these will determine how often each effect is applied. Multiple effects can apply to each note.

For Channelize, there is another setting which determines what channel to use. This can be set to 1-16, or "Random" which will randomly choose a channel for each affected note.

Future possibilities: more effects, more slots, channel per slot, useful presets...
wrongtastic, baby

Return to “Insert Piz Here”