Moan: Too many sticky threads on this page?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There seems less and less space for music posts on this forum.....

KVR Tracker - is fine

Guidelines - I guess you need these

Contest Gossip - is okay

Contest Submissions - is essential

Contest Voting - is needed of course when necessary

Previous Month's Contest Results - These are okay for a few days (perhaps a week) after the finish of the contest, but it could be dumped after.

My Space Artists - MySpace pages are pretty commonplace now and nothing special. Our sigs will usually advertise these anyway. I can't see a need now for this sticky

What Are you Working On Now - I just don't get this. If you have some music to post, you do it in the main body of the forum...even if it's a work 'in progresss'. I just can't see there's any need for this sticky.

Hall of Fame - debateable whether this is Sticky-worthy. Maybe a large permanent link at the top of the Submissions Thread might do instead.

KVR Member Releases Gossip - this just seems to be used as another place for people to post releases, rather than, or as well as in the normal body of Music Cafe. Again, I can't see the need for this sticky.

Musicians Radio - the latest Sticky addition. Well I guess we should see how this develops. But there's been a few other radio stations knocking around in the past that haven't jumped straight to Sticky-status :shrug:

these are my thoughts
please post your own

(okay, whinging over)

add a poll and sticky this thread for more opinions...

I kinda agree. It only takes about a few hours before a post with my songs dissapears off to page 2. A spcial sticky for "Song of Sepheritoh" might have been a usefull sollution, but I don't think that's what you had in mind. I'll compromise for a "Songs of oddbob" sticky as well. That way you don't have to worry about the number of stickies. The way you are going you might need another "Prices won by oddbod in KvR contest" sticky as well. Such a similar thread for me would off course be totally useless, as it would never get any entries.

More seriously, the only ones needed are:
KVR Tracker
Contest Gossip
Contest Submissions
Contest Voting
Hall of Fame

or a seperate forum for the sticky stuff if its so neccasarry

Split it :

Music Cafe forum - track postings only
Music Cafe Related forum - competition, stickies, advertising, et.c.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Or...

Music Cafe: track postings and the like
Wall Outside Front Door of Music Cafe With Menu in Glass-fronted Case: the rest

I suppose that is a mite long-winded though.

Sepheritoh wrote: A spcial sticky for "bluedad music" might be a usefull solution
I like that idea!
and could probably do it, but I don't know how :cry:
goes off to read 'mod powers and other recipes'

agreed, too many stickies in the Cafe

KVR Tracker - yes

Guidelines - yes

Contest Gossip - No it stays up by itself

Contest Submissions - yes

Contest Voting - yes

Previous Month's Contest Results - no

My Space Artists - no

What Are you Working On Now - no

Hall of Fame - no

KVR Member Releases Gossip - no

Musicians Radio - yes

I was thinking we could just sticky runagate to, it would save him all the bumping and free up the song list

:P

:lol:

Yes, definitely some sticky culling required. I agree with oddbod on which ones could get the chop; you could even argue the music tracker doesn't need a sticky since it's been integrated into the main site, both up top and down to the right.

And 'What are you working on right now???' has always baffled me - as a thread idea, let alone a sticky. It's the kvr equivalent of running to your front door and shouting 'I'm baking a cake!' Um, glad to hear it. Good for you. :scared:

While we're on the topic, it'd be nice if the super-prolific regulars could put multiple songs in a thread rather than post a new thread each track. Nothing wrong with being prolific, but it kills the diversity of the cafe a bit when the front page is dominated by two or three names. Songs by quiet newcomers tend to zoom by before you can hear them.

We've complained for years and in several threads already, without much success. I agree fully that there are too many stickies.

I like Seph's sticky list, although I think it could even be abridged further:

KVR Tracker
Contest Gossip
Contest Submissions
Contest Voting

Or I like w'rabbyt's suggestion of two music cafe forums, the Music Cafe (for individual posts) and the Music Community (other names could be Music District or Village - for communal efforts such as contests, radio stations inquiries, calls for collaboration, etc).

Just click on the "Listen to Music by KVR members" button and use that page instead. SO much better.

if ben made the monthly contest a separate thread (which makes sense to me, since it's its own little world) we'd be down to:

KVR Music Tracker
MUSIC CAFE GUIDELINES
Musicians Radio
Member Releases
KVR Artists
what are you working on right now

from these the only ones that seem really stick-worthy to me are:

Tracker
GUIDELINES
Releases

three stickies is very manageable. :-)

Barnadine wrote: While we're on the topic, it'd be nice if the super-prolific regulars could put multiple songs in a thread rather than post a new thread each track. Nothing wrong with being prolific, but it kills the diversity of the cafe a bit when the front page is dominated by two or three names. Songs by quiet newcomers tend to zoom by before you can hear them.
yes thankyou for this,
and shouldn't selling mp3's be in the member releases thread or marketplace, or is there a ticket you can get from mods that exempt you from following a respectable guideline?

Barnadine wrote:While we're on the topic, it'd be nice if the super-prolific regulars could put multiple songs in a thread rather than post a new thread each track. Nothing wrong with being prolific, but it kills the diversity of the cafe a bit when the front page is dominated by two or three names. Songs by quiet newcomers tend to zoom by before you can hear them.
good point and definitely worth thinking about.

as a sometimes prolific song poster (not for a while), i would rather NOT bunch pieces together (unless they belong together as in a mini-album or suite). if a posting has one piece, you focus on it. if it has 2+ pieces, i think human nature moves you to lose your focus, perhaps just a little ... but enough to detract from the listening experience of each separate piece. you might listen to one fully, one half, one hardly at all ... same with comments.

so i'd rather present one song per posting. but, in light of your observation that prolific posters can 'hog the show' like the inevitable one student in a class who just can't stop himself/herself from talking incessantly and dominating the class discussions to the detriment of other students, i will happily be LESS prolific in my song postings. :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”