Nord Wave-ish VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"It dreamed itself along"

Megakazbek wrote:
D-Fusion wrote:It does have a wave oscillator like the Nord Wave.
Nord Wave has two oscillators (and you can set both of them to wave mode) and one of them can modulate another, which is entirely different from Discovery Pro's single wave oscillator that cannot do anything else than simply playing a sample. There are other differences of course, for example Nord Wave is capable of simple 4-operator FM synthesis.
Yes you are right :oops:
I just watched the demo from the link above and they are totaly different.

Not to mention the fact that Discovery barely models even the Nord Lead. Don't be fooled by its Clavia interface. It sounds nothing like it in filter response, FM behavior, envelope behavior, stereo unison, oscillators, OSC sync, keyboard tracking and overall raw tone. Get Discovery because you like it on its own merits, but Synth1 is closer to nailing the distinctive "character" of the Nord Lead than Discovery is and even it fails.

I know this is bringing an old thread back from the dead, but I got a bee in my bonnet about possibly getting a hardware digital synth to complement the rest of my my hardware and software. At first I thought maybe the Roland V-Synth might be for me, but I honestly didn't hear a single example of it that made me go, "Yeah, that's worth the cash and space it'll take up." Someone suggested the Nord Wave, and from what I've heard from it so far, it sounds fantastic. Maybe not as "experimental" as the V-Synth, but with Poseidon, Absynth, Omnisphere and Alchemy... think I'm covered.

But I guess what I'm asking is, to those who have a Nord Wave, have advances in Discovery Pro brought it into the ballpark? What about Rapture 2? (I'm a Rapture 1 owner) I also own Largo, Synthmaster 2.5 and Massive. Is the Nord Wave even the way to go? I was on a Nord Lead search back a while ago and I did find that Discovery Pro got me in the ballpark and I decided it was better to focus on getting analog hardware and keeping my VA ITB. Still, for some reason every now and then I hear an example of a Nord and I always perk up. Something about the sweet sizzle of the high end always gets me.

Also, before the flood of, "Nothing feels like hardware" responses, I don't care about that. If the Nord was a knobless box with a usb out and a VSTi controller, that would be fine with me. I'm very comfortable working in software.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Oh my. Has it actually been 5 years since this thread still had a heartbeat?! I just got a topic reply notification email and... here we are. Amazing.

I think it's fair to say that virtual instrument modeling has continued to improve and computers are so much faster than they were, but there's one thing that never seems to change for me. I still find a dedicated hardware controller designed for a particular synth engine to be the most immediate and intuitive programming interface for sound design. Sure, the Nord is pretty old by today's standards insofar as analog modeling is concerned, but I still love the way it sounds. It sparkles and squelches to the beat of its own drum, still not truly imitated and even now I still haven't heard anything quite like the FM behavior in the Nord Lead.

Last edited by samsam on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote:Also, before the flood of, "Nothing feels like hardware" responses, I don't care about that. If the Nord was a knobless box with a usb out and a VSTi controller, that would be fine with me. I'm very comfortable working in software.
Tronam wrote:I still find a dedicated hardware controller designed for a particular synth engine to be the most immediate and intuitive programming interface for sound design.
It's like a universal constant. It can't not happen. ;)

Tronam wrote:Sure, the Nord is pretty old by today's standards insofar as analog modeling is concerned, but I still love the way it sounds. It sparkles and squelches to the beat of its own drum, still not truly imitated and even now I still haven't heard anything quite like the FM behavior in the Nord Lead.
Right, that's what I am after... the sound. Though.. at what price?!

Dun

Dun

Dun

Dun.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:[

It's like a universal constant. It can't not happen. ;)

true to form even, there was no mention of the Wave.
:dog:

samsam wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I know this is bringing an old thread back from the dead, but I got a bee in my bonnet about possibly getting a hardware digital synth to complement the rest of my my hardware and software. At first I thought maybe the Roland V-Synth might be for me, but I honestly didn't hear a single example of it that made me go, "Yeah, that's worth the cash and space it'll take up." Someone suggested the Nord Wave, and from what I've heard from it so far, it sounds fantastic. Maybe not as "experimental" as the V-Synth, but with Poseidon, Absynth, Omnisphere and Alchemy... think I'm covered.

But I guess what I'm asking is, to those who have a Nord Wave, have advances in Discovery Pro brought it into the ballpark? What about Rapture 2? (I'm a Rapture 1 owner) I also own Largo, Synthmaster 2.5 and Massive. Is the Nord Wave even the way to go? I was on a Nord Lead search back a while ago and I did find that Discovery Pro got me in the ballpark and I decided it was better to focus on getting analog hardware and keeping my VA ITB. Still, for some reason every now and then I hear an example of a Nord and I always perk up. Something about the sweet sizzle of the high end always gets me.

Also, before the flood of, "Nothing feels like hardware" responses, I don't care about that. If the Nord was a knobless box with a usb out and a VSTi controller, that would be fine with me. I'm very comfortable working in software.
I own a Wave. I've never tried Discovery but I'll quickly tell you about my Wave opinions. Compared with the Lead its 'shortcomings' are well documented - no Unison, no arp, no MIDI sync on LFOs, only 2 layers of OSCs compared to 4, twice the price... When I went into the shop to try both the Wave and the Lead I was well aware of this.

However, after playing the Wave for a while, the positives FAR outweighed its shortcomings. The filter is wonderful (and all the options, LP, HP, BP, vocal, multimode are excellent), the OSC options are very sweet (VA, 6 operator fm, the wavetables add a lot and some of them do a passable mock-unison). The effects are a HUGE addition; the chorus is out of this world and the tube is very useful for dirtying. And the sample import is great - the ones it ships with are very nice and so far I've added somebody's Vox Humana sample which is great fun too.

In short, I love the Wave, Pricey, sure, but a great instrument.
I think the fact that it can use wavetables and samples makes the 2 osc/no unison less important, and I'm not a big arp guy anyway. The one thing that does kind of bum me out is the lack of sync in both the LFO and the delay. What the...? that seems like a no brainer... yet. They blew it.

Arg. Anyway I guess I'm going to have to play around with the tools I already have... maybe try building one in Vaz Modular and see how close I can get to audio examples I've come across. I was hoping for a "I had one, but found X did just a good a job in software form" but it looks like I'll get none of that. I wonder why though... I thought Largo got me close enough to the Blofeld, so why hasn't someone targeted this synth to model?
Zerocrossing Media

Reaktor has some very good Nord emu's.

osiris wrote:Reaktor has some very good Nord emu's.
Can you remember what .ens?
Zerocrossing Media

Well, they all say Nord on them , so it shouldn't be hard. I have several and they are all pretty good, some more than others.

Not a NordWave, but forward to about 3:30 to hear some classic Trance melodies from the Nordlead2 by Steve Helstrip of The Thrillseekers. aaahhhh so awesome "Sublime" and "Affinity"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YerZlAwEP-w

Anyways, I do like the freeware Synth1. It does have a sort of distinctive sound, somewhat in comparison I suppose.

I own both a Nord Wave and a Nord Rack 2X.

Nord Wave really is a performer synth for gigs.
You sample what you need for the performance while having a synth ready at your hands with all knobs for live tweaking. There is only one thing i hate in Nord Wave and thats the chorus, too blurry too my taste and the chorus seems to put the emphasize on modulation on the right channel giving a very uneven chorus balance. The Delay and Reverb is stellar though.

One thing i did though was to sample my old Juno 6 OSC's with Chorus setting I and II for use in Nord Wave and this works crazy good.

For studio use get Nord Rack, for performance live get Nord Wave.

One thing that gives Nord Rack a major + is its Unison, a very clean, phase free chorus type of effect which i adore. Only minus i can come up with on Nord Rack is the missing ability to modulate via Key tracking, only the filter have key tracking.

Also the Nord Wave is about 2k euro these days which makes it a very expensive investment unless you really need a synth/sampler for performing live.

/Michael
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour

Return to “Instruments”