3am - Percent Error (Live 7 experiment)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My mac is all better ( :party: ) So, this is my first track in Live 7.

Percent Error

The acoustic drums are from Dusted William's newly updated Funky Ass Drums.

My verdict regarding Live 7 is that I'm gonna need an update or two to be in love but the new features are very useful. I was used to Live having a problem with headroom, which encouraged me to make quieter mixes... Now, it takes a lot to get the channels to clip, so I have to be more aware of were my levels are because Live won't remind me when a sound goes above 0dB.

The Drum Racks are very nice but could use some refining. For instance if I import a rex file and bounce it to a drum track the macro knobs are automatically assigned to some pretty useful parameters (globally across all slices) but if I want to assign a new macro control, I have to do it for each slice individually.

The automation is f**ked up in the arrangement view (I don't know if it's a feature or a bug) when I copy or duplicate a clip, it won't copy the corresponding automation.

I don't find myself using the automation lanes perhaps that will become part of my workflow as time goes on.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. This track uses some techniques I've been playing around with, lots of rhythmic wankery and torture of samples. The high end is harsh as hell, the really piercing percussion is a magical zebra patch I created that is being totally f**ked by a bunch of Pluggo stuff. The synths are all Operator and Sampler. There is an instance of DKS pro in there as well with Ohmicide doing it's thing.

Enjoy!
3am

justin3am wrote:My mac is all better ( :party: ) So, this is my first track in Live 7.
Been looking forward to this of course :-)
justin3am wrote: My verdict regarding Live 7 is that I'm gonna need an update or two to be in love but the new features are very useful.
Does your copy crash when you delete an audio track that has an audio track routed to it? mine does.. :-( annoying.
justin3am wrote:
I was used to Live having a problem with headroom, which encouraged me to make quieter mixes... Now, it takes a lot to get the channels to clip, so I have to be more aware of were my levels are because Live won't remind me when a sound goes above 0dB.
It does seem like they made the headroom just huge now. but I still keep mine very quite... I watch the faders.. :-)
justin3am wrote: The Drum Racks are very nice but could use some refining. For instance if I import a rex file and bounce it to a drum track the macro knobs are automatically assigned to some pretty useful parameters (globally across all slices) but if I want to assign a new macro control, I have to do it for each slice individually.
I would like to expand a drum rack and not only have seperate audio channel lanes, but midi ones as well. do you know what I mean?
justin3am wrote: This track uses some techniques I've been playing around with, lots of rhythmic wankery and torture of samples. The high end is harsh as hell, the really piercing percussion is a magical zebra patch I created that is being totally f**ked by a bunch of Pluggo stuff. The synths are all Operator and Sampler. There is an instance of DKS pro in there as well with Ohmicide doing it's thing.

Enjoy!
3am

Nothing sounds digitally clipped here. Its a very trippy track. knowing you it must be fast as hell, but it sounds slow and dreamy...

maybe I am just really tired... I really like a lot of the sound design, some of the sweep downs were totally cool.

I have to take a second listen, but it took a while to download because I am uploading a bunch of stuff right now.

so I will do tomorow when my comp is not so fritzed...

anyways, catch you laters...

My first impression was "Ouch!" There were a lot of interesting sounds after that, and I don't call too many sounds interesting. Are you planning to make some music with those? :P
Did you know you can turn sigs off in your preferences so you don't have to read this crap?

I'm still on Live 5 (I'm wary of change). The percussion here is full of ideas and detail, the sound is great, I haven't done anything this hardcore glitch in ages, makes me wanna, do I hear some classic 8bit gaming sounds? I like the way the pace is so static almost schizophrenic, and yeah that synth patch sitting behind everything is nice man, real nice, it guides things.

Really dynamic track, lots of very interesting sounds. What a crazy quilted piece!

Glad the mac is all better. 8)

wow, i was listening to this in the early morn here, and i woke up. thanks. it sounds like two squirrels playing lazertag. a lot of great editing.

@C Kat; I haven't gotten a crash from deleting a track but I have gotten crashes from deleting Waves plugins (but that is a known bug). .RX2 auditioning is also "weird". I understand why they don't give you seperate midi channels for drum racks (each instrument is equivalent to 1 note) but I agree, I have wanted folder tracks in Live for some time now. Thanks for the words!

@D1J1T: I don't really do "music", I do interesting sounds based on musical conventions :D Thanks for listening!

@Corman: I've been playing with some Sonic Birth stuff which has been more or less succesful (depending on how you look at it) which has resulted in heavy glitchness. No video game sounds in this one, though I'm proud to say I was able to make acoustic drums sound like video games (the deep pitch dive near the end).

@bobled: thanks, I'm feeling pretty 8)

@sloworm: I don't drink coffee so this is kinda' my alternative.

Thanks everyone for your kindness.

3am

You really are conquering the learning curve on Live 7 at a frightening pace.
Cool track. There are just enough moments of funk darting around in the mix that no matter how artistic you get with the editing and brain frying composition, the groove is never completely lost. And I like the juxtaposition between the texture of the drums and the very very wide silky keys.
Weird and tasty. Thanks for sharin with us, bro.

p.s. the more I use DKS pro, the more I like that little monster.

The groove is never completely lost?

Man, my skronk-addled ears tell me that the drums never miss a beat the entire time (I think a first for a 3am track) which, of course, is immaterial as losing beats can be equally fun as keeping them all in a row like ducks in a shooting gallery.

But the point is, inamongst all the perturbations and dilations the rhythms always gel like a drum solo (sorry, I'm a jazzbo) that never touches the downbeat for 84 bars but is always exactly in-time against the virtual time that is being played against but not referenced. The clave, for the closest analog I can think of though I'm sure there's some other technical word I'm just not catching this morning.

I am appaled by your rhythm skills. Some of these transitions almost made me fall out of my chair laughing. :shock: :ud: It's all a matter of ratios, but not too many minds can parse them like this. Straying along the path of irrational ratios that give the impression of adding back up to one across the entire 4+ minutes... damn you, justin. Sick.

I do, however, hate that synth. :( No surprise there. I still love everything else, but it always sounds to me like someone grabbed a random late 80's synth and played over a 2050's track when those elements are mixed.

Course, it doesn't detract from the song overall in my mind, which is awe-inspiringly gorgeous. Psilocybilicious - this is being played at a party in the near future, I assure you, to minds prepped for imprint susceptibilty.

I think I'll just go listen for a 5th time. 8)

@Jazzy: considering I read the manual front to back before opening the installer, I should have the curve nailed. :) I don't know if anyone else is as anal about RTFM as I am, instead of magazines in my bathroom I have user guides and insted of T.P. I have spec sheets. Thanks for listening.

@Runny: I'm glad you noticed! It's 4/4 178BPM the whole time. There are movements though 4 over the space of 6, 4 over the space of 5, 4 over the space of 9 but it never truly says "f**k the tempo" the way I have before. I can understand that you don't like the synth but I'm a sucker for Depeche Mode style FM. I added a random comb for some edge but yeah it's cheesy and I love it.
Runny wrote:Psilocybilicious
I'm using that! 8)

remind me not to borrow spec sheets from you in the future.....

Jazzyspoon wrote:remind me not to borrow spec sheets from you in the future.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I RTFM. 5000 or so on my PC. Insomnia has it's proveleges.

:o :shock: :love: :tu: :borg:

loved it! :D

Nice!!!

bit heavy on the higher freq's which in a sense is admirable for it usually get's lost in a mix. Those will be some memorable live performances once you got it down!

Jazzyspoon wrote:remind me not to borrow spec sheets from you in the future.....
Yeah, for the most part you don't want to touch anything but the floor in my house.

Glad you liked it Jack!
mystahr wrote:bit heavy on the higher freq's which in a sense is admirable for it usually get's lost in a mix.
=] Yeah, I'm a high frequency addict! The thing is, for the most part the freq response is flat as a pancake. I can't wait to play my latest stuff live, when it's loud it's guaranteed to piss people off!

Return to “Music Cafe”