The Gardener's past (folkish / acoustic tune)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is an old song, but not so many people have heard it actually.

I think it should be maximized or enhanced or mastered or something because it's not very loud, but it's just a simple song.

http://vimcortez.free.fr/gardenerspast.mp3

Hope you like it.

d

What a pretty song. This you singing and playing guitar? I like.

Yes it's me singing and playing. I'm glad you like it, thanks for the kind words.

d

it's a cool song, i liked the guitar parts very much.
also i like the title of the song- original song titles always make me curious to hear the lyrics.
the overall volume is low - what you need to do is simply NORMALIZE. will take you a second.
Johnny from guitars101 and Jemsite

That's a lovely tune! It deserves a little more attention in the mix to really bring it's qualities out. Normalising would help, as already said. I always ask myself what would I say if I had to change two things. I'd pause the guitar strumming at one or two points to seperate the verses/chorus & maybe at the end have a second guitar picking out a complementary melody to widen things up but that aside it stands up very well on it's own.
www.drippycat.com - switchaball for iPhone, switchballHD for iPad

Great little mellow/sad track dacaumodo - sure you could work on the mix/master...
Image Image

Hey guys
thanks for unearthing this, I guess I should do some more work on this, perhaps even re-record it, I need to see if the original tracks are good enough, thanks for the input.

d

Hey, I missed this the first time around. Beautiful melancholy track and you know I'm a sucker for those. :) I would like to try and master this sometime if we get the chance.

have you done anything else?
Metal Israel @ Jemsite
Da Boss @ Metal Israel

Errrr not with this song, not yet, although I'll probably re-record it someday. But I've got some other songs on my myspace and on my main site (see my sig)

v

A pretty nice song, and very well performed.

I would have made some different decisions in the production part. The vocals seem to have strong bright reverb, it sounds a bit like he's singing in a prison cell! (I haven't been to one so I don't really know.) Some EQ could bring the vocals closer to the listener. The guitar doesn't "sing" so well, like lacking sustain. I would try some compression on it and see if turning up the higher strings in volume would make it any better. If you recorded it with a single mic in one go, this kind of tweaks can't be made without side effects, of course.

That probably sounded worse than I meant to. Anyway nice to hear some acoustic stuff when a lot of the songs here are in electric styles (which is understandable). :wink:
"Oh come on Monster has done so much to the audio community. They got the best products ever. I operate my toaster with a Monster power-cable and it tastes better."

You're probably right on most counts, I recorded this one perhaps two years ago or more, I'd probably do it better now... I think it's worth a re-recording, probably.

Thanks a lot for the feedback,

v

glad this was bumped, it's a very good song. Has an intimate 'unplugged' vibe to it.
It's nice on it's own, but would be cool to hear it given a fuller arrangement.
I like your vocal very much!

Cheers bludad ;) I was pretty much in an unplugged period. I need to have my acoustic guitar seen by a luthier so I can find this vibe again. Right now it's a little out of tune, whatever I do. Maybe sth with the neck. I can't seem to get the G sring to sound right.

I checked out your other tunes. they are good too. On this one it sounds like your guitar produces sub-sonics. It probably feels great to play it but you will have problems recording it. The sub-sonics will interfere with the vocals which I wouldn't do since yours should be front and center. Smaller guitars,old archtops or just downright cheaper guitars can be much better for recording than a big bodied model. You really just want the sound of the pick hitting the strings and not the booming tone to be picked up by the mic.
All that aside I think your music is very good. Good songwriting and vocals.If you are having problems with the G string when it's fretted it could be a groove in the fret. If it sounds off when you play it unfretted it could be the nut.

Return to “Music Cafe”