Roland D50 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LA Synthesis!!! :)
I own MT-32 and D-110 and very satisfied with their unique sound.
I will be happy if i have a chance to see the VST version of those tricky synthesis.
But technically, the simulator or emulator would require the original PCM partial and that makes hard to develop the plugin version legally.

To be honest, I don't need the real emulator because I can buy the original hardware when I need.
It's better for me to see the LA synthesis (or anything legacy synthesis like Yamaha AWM and so on).
I'm tired with recent "Analog War".
soundcloud.com/yudaidhun

For me, a better comparison with M1 is Roland D-20. D-20 is multitimbral and has a usable on-board sequencer. Still, D-20 has a better filter than M1. I had much more fun programming D-20 than M1. On M1 programming the sound included fiddling with the FX a lot, but to that I am actually thankful because I learned so much about the FX at this early stage and I find that knowledge invaluable these days while playing with the VST FX chains.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I bought a Roland D-550 last year. I would've bought a D-50, but don't have any space in the keyboard rack at this time (I was never a fan of rack synths in terms of usability and inspiration).

I have to say - from the moment I turned it on, I was impressed how fresh and cool it still sounds! And I find LA Synthesis much more inspiring and multi-faceted than FM or the M1's reverb-drenched ROM.

Regarding the sounds of the D-50 - there is a well-known rumor that most of the sounds on Michael Jackson's "BAD" (1987) supposedly came from the D-50 and even presets. I haven't been exactly able to pinpoint anything in particular - could someone help me there?

Numanoid wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:Check out the first paragraph here:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/m1.php

Which ends with "......The M1 is sort of like a workstation-version of the Roland D-50."
I wouldn't put too much trust in presentations at VSE.

If you read the comments below the presentations of many synths at VSE, you will see that many users critize them for being incorrect.

Better to use more sources, here is a statement in a review of the D50 in Sound on Sound:
"Korg's M1 was arguably the synth most responsible for deposing the D50. Capable of a similar style of sounds, aided and abetted by a considerably more powerful effects processor, and -- most importantly -- multitimbral, the M1 stole the D50's glory and went on to become a milestone itself"

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... ndd50.html

Even thought that doesn't say much about the synth capabilites of either D50 or M1, at least it goes to acknowledge that M1 got better FX and multitimbrality.
Some good points Numanoid and interesting article.

Having owned both and many hardware synths since the Moog, BOTH the D-50 and M1 stood out as technological advancements at the time.

This was a new sound, new capabilities, and thus the potential for new musical styles.

Very exciting times in the history of synths.
It would be great to have a software version of the D-50.

The M1 software version is very well done and still useful in modern music.
I'm sure a software version of the D-50 would sell very well, I would certainly buy a copy.

The smart choice for easy programming :D

Binary Music just released a new D-50 Kontakt library:
http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/la-50.html

This also seems to include the famous patches like "Staccato Heaven" which were missing in the "Deepflight" Kontakt library i already got.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:This also seems to include the famous patches like "Staccato Heaven" which were missing in the "Deepflight" Kontakt library i already got.
But is it legal, I mean isn't Roland known for not allowing the D-50 content to be sampled?

Numanoid wrote:
Ingonator wrote:This also seems to include the famous patches like "Staccato Heaven" which were missing in the "Deepflight" Kontakt library i already got.
But is it legal, I mean isn't Roland known for not allowing the D-50 content to be sampled?

i believe andre creates his own sounds from scratch. very nice guy too. many pleasant dealings with him over many years. he did very kind things for me that i wont discuss.
he makes incredible products.

AstralExistence wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

i believe andre creates his own sounds from scratch. very nice guy too. many pleasant dealings with him over many years. he did very kind things for me that i wont discuss.
The new D-50 set also seems include famous sounds besides own/new patches.

Binary Music seems to be a nicce company indeed and i am quite sure they will not do illegal stuff.
I think it is less a problem as long as the final patches are sampled and not the raw ROM samples.
It is also possible he asked for permission for this.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

The D-50 one also seems include some of the famous sounds.

Binary Music seems to be a nicce comny indeed and i am quite sure they will not do illegal stuff.
I think it is less a problem as long as the final patches are sampled and not the raw ROM samples.
It is also possible he asked for permission for this.

Ingo
people have been asking for year about pinknoise legality. the short answer is, nobody really knows if its legal. the long answer, andre has never made a public statement answering the question. but roland or any other hardware manufacturer has never made any complaints about reason banks/pinknoise so i if what andre and eric are doing is illegal nobody seems to care and everybody wins.

i don't personally believe that there doing anything against the hardware manufacturers wishes. they have been operating for so long now that the point is moot. if roland/hardware manufacturers cared they would have sent a cease and desist letter years ago. *cough* refx/d16/synthedit developers.

Buy a D50.

Resurrection of this topic in threads here always makes me feel good about owning my V-Synth XT with built-in D50 ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I have purchased the new Bnary Music "LA-50" libray and actually it sesms to be realy great.

Besides known sounds like "Digital Native Dance", "Staccato Heaven" (very happy to have this one back...), "Soundtrack" and a others there seem to be mostly new and/or own patches included with this.

Those patche also seem to complement very well with those from PinkNoise Deepflight. If i checked it correctly there are no overlapping patches with those.

Kriminal wrote:Buy a D50.
Actually it is one of the few synths that i would maybe re-purchase. It's almost 10 yeras (a few months less) since i sold my D-50.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Im bidding on 2 at the moment....

Don't have the time to go over all the responses, but I did just happen to see this at Synthtopia

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... -50-sound/

Return to “Instruments”