New TranShaper Version! (w/ M/S procession)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I've been busy latley .. but here it is a new version of my transient bungler plug-in :P.

Okay link: http://loser.asseca.com/beta/MGA_TranSh ... -01-31.zip

Some blurb about what's new:
Mainly just a "split" mode (lowpass to extract the "lows" to only process them, good for preserving e.g. OHs) and selectable stereo/mid/side for each the detector and the actuall procession.

I tinkered with the idea of selling it ... but I wasn't sure if it's high quality enough, so here it is for free and your testing pleasure.

Please comment.
Last edited by LOSER on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hi, Michael.
I already know this one a little bit, and dig it ;)
Skinning and selling some of your plugins could be a good idea, indeed.

hey there Michael :)

welcome back ;)
and thx a bunch as usual for the updates :cool:
Peace
Dubadelica - Electronic music since 1996 http://www.dubadelica.com/about.php
Radio Rebelde - Modern roots reggae with an electronic twist https://radiorebeldereggae.bandcamp.com/

This one is pretty slick!

One suggestion, though (for M/S scenarios in particular):

I find the LP filter pretty ill concept for more general M/S use, I'd certainly suggest making it a band-pass option!

Let me explain - if you want f.e. to "pre-shape" stereo signal, before sending it to compressors, in certain scenerios you would want to "make room" in sideband, where there's a major transient in mid coming (f.e. kick or something of enough "importance").

So, you would set the detector to M and processor to S, and suppress the attacks and lift sustains a bit to fill the offbeat spectrum with the sideband signal. For this to work nicely, you would want to have something like a bandpass, and a LPF won't work sufficiently well in such a case! I tested this method on some material with your plugin and dynamic processing certainly seems quite adequate to me. The offending factor to me is the filtering method, as I said.

Hope the explanation is clear enough ...

Yes, i like it.
Thanks for this.
hard to tell for me about thequality, as i use it for obvious artifacts and beat mangling. For that, it is really great :)
I haven't tried on more subtle material with M/S shaping.

... what about a single plugin allowing different attack/release settings on both mid and side signals in a single interface?
(like a "dual stage" TransShaper)

This is a very nice update. I do also agree that a Bandpass filter, with variable resonance/slope would be a much more flexible option. Also, the mid/side could also be made as a crossfade kind of matrix instead of simply mid or side. This would make it possible to really "zoom in" on the area one wants to process.

So, a M/S setting of -100% M would be mid only or 100% would be S only (each extreme of a knob) but the middle 0% would be Stereo. This way one could "tilt" the processing in favor of either side or mid or a subtle blend of both.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:This is a very nice update. I do also agree that a Bandpass filter, with variable resonance/slope would be a much more flexible option. Also, the mid/side could also be made as a crossfade kind of matrix instead of simply mid or side. This would make it possible to really "zoom in" on the area one wants to process.

So, a M/S setting of -100% M would be mid only or 100% would be S only (each extreme of a knob) but the middle 0% would be Stereo. This way one could "tilt" the processing in favor of either side or mid or a subtle blend of both.

Cheers!
bManic
Wow, that is nice idea... mind if I rip it? But I still need to ponder about the bandpass idea, because I try to keep things simple (unlike in the past, where I'd go for the full configurable thing ... but I figured that sometimes you get good results much quicker with less controls ;)).

BTW updated - fixed issue that would cause a loud click when there was pure silence between each transient (e.g. on sampled drums):
[update in OP]
Last edited by LOSER on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mauseoleum wrote:This one is pretty slick!

One suggestion, though (for M/S scenarios in particular):

I find the LP filter pretty ill concept for more general M/S use, I'd certainly suggest making it a band-pass option!

Let me explain - if you want f.e. to "pre-shape" stereo signal, before sending it to compressors, in certain scenerios you would want to "make room" in sideband, where there's a major transient in mid coming (f.e. kick or something of enough "importance").

So, you would set the detector to M and processor to S, and suppress the attacks and lift sustains a bit to fill the offbeat spectrum with the sideband signal. For this to work nicely, you would want to have something like a bandpass, and a LPF won't work sufficiently well in such a case! I tested this method on some material with your plugin and dynamic processing certainly seems quite adequate to me. The offending factor to me is the filtering method, as I said.

Hope the explanation is clear enough ...
Sorry I don't get it ... but I'm certainly considering the bandpass option, need to test how much it will benefit from it, though.

sinkmusic wrote: ... what about a single plugin allowing different attack/release settings on both mid and side signals in a single interface?
Well I don't think that you want to do that so often. A lot of times you might only want to "fix" something in either the M or S. Though we'll see.

LOSER wrote:
sinkmusic wrote: ... what about a single plugin allowing different attack/release settings on both mid and side signals in a single interface?
Well I don't think that you want to do that so often. A lot of times you might only want to "fix" something in either the M or S. Though we'll see.
Mmmh... In a "classic" studio use, indeed.
But using it as a creative effect instead of a transparent fixing tool,i see myself very well using it, abusing it (and automating it) on a track gathering pads & drums, or layers of drums, with one being centered and the two others being panned...

LOSER wrote:
bmanic wrote:This is a very nice update. I do also agree that a Bandpass filter, with variable resonance/slope would be a much more flexible option. Also, the mid/side could also be made as a crossfade kind of matrix instead of simply mid or side. This would make it possible to really "zoom in" on the area one wants to process.

Cheers!
bManic
Wow, that is nice idea... mind if I rip it? But I still need to ponder about the bandpass idea, because I try to keep things simple (unlike in the past, where I'd go for the full configurable thing ... but I figured that sometimes you get good results much quicker with less controls ;)).
Sure, rip that idea as much as you want! :D

As for the bandpass, you could simply add one single knob.. just like it is now with the lowpass. Just tune the bandpass to be moderately wide. I still think that would be much more flexible then a lowpass filter in the detector.

Cheers!
bManic

oh BTW Michael

should i change permanently the LoserDev folder into a MGA plugins folder, i guess, judgin upon the new prefix you put on the dll files? :)
just curious :cool:
Peace out
Dubadelica - Electronic music since 1996 http://www.dubadelica.com/about.php
Radio Rebelde - Modern roots reggae with an electronic twist https://radiorebeldereggae.bandcamp.com/

dreaddd wrote:oh BTW Michael

should i change permanently the LoserDev folder into a MGA plugins folder, i guess, judgin upon the new prefix you put on the dll files? :)
just curious :cool:
Peace out
Sure if you want to, I mean it's your folder ;). But yeah I'm gonna keep the prefix consisten and its intentional.

Okay update:
[LINK IN OP]
MANUAL wrote: Transient Control Section:
(1) Attack: Controls the level of the attack portion of the signal's transient.
(2) Sustain: Controls the level of the sustain part of the signal's transient.

Multiband Control Section:
(3) Lowpass: Let's you choose the upper frequency of the band to process.
(4) Highpass: Let's you choose the lower frequency of the band to process.

Mid/Side Control Section:
(5) Process: Selects which part of the signal should be processed:
The farther left the more of the mid (center of the image) gets processed.
The farther right the more of the side (stereo of the image) gets processed.
In the middle Mid and Side get processes equally.

Output Control Section:
(6) Smooth: Amount of smoothing applied to the output gain envelope.
(7) Output: Sets the output level.

TIPS:
- Best used on drums.
- Set 'Lowpass' to approx. '5000Hz' to get a smoother and more natural response.
- 100% means 100%. Everything beyond that is just a bonus ;).
Sorry but I removed the detector M/S selection, since my concept of detecting transients wouldn't work with the new system.
Last edited by LOSER on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks for this!
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

URGH!!! The detector section was brilliant! aurgh!! Oh well.. I guess the earlier beta will find it's way into my Rare Vintage plugins folder. :hihi:

I'll test the new version tonight and comment on it.

Cheers!
bManic

Return to “Effects”