Delay Time and Frequency Calculator VST plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Name: Delay Time and Frequency Calculator version 1 (DTFC1)
Type: VST Plugin
For: Windows PCs only

I have made a new utility effects plugin that sync's to your host's tempo, when inserted into the effects routing, and provides Delay time (in milliseconds) and Frequency (in hertz) values for syncing effects plugins (such as delays and phasers).

I mainly made it for me, since I needed such a thing and hated keeping a browser window open or 3rd party app open, but I thought maybe it would help others so here it is.

Tested only in Orion Platinum 7.5 (beta), FL Studio 7 (demo), Sonar 7 (demo), REAPER 1.851 (old demo :hihi:), and Ableton Live v7.0.1 (demo) since thats all I have on my machine. :hihi:

This was originally supposed to be my start into VST development with the VST SDK, but since the GUI side is such a COMPLETE AND TOTAL PAIN, I decided to do this in Synthedit instead. One day I'll get back to that VST SDK... yes.. one day.. not soon but one day..

Download here.

edit: included screenshot.
edit2: added Sonar 7 to the working list. (see below for instructions on getting it to work)
edit3: added REAPER to the working list. (again, see below for instructions)
edit4: added Ableton Live 7.0.1 to the working list. (no additional mumbojumbo required to get it to work - lock 'n load boys)
Last edited by VitaminD on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

This will come in really handy VitaminD! Nice to see a regular trying new things and sharing with the community. Thanks.

Edit

Spoke to soon: I can't get it to actally calculate anything in Sonar :lol: . I can type in a tempo and get that to appear to stay, but it never actually calculates anything as all the delay times and hertz settings stay at their default. Oh well, still a valiant effort!

ooh Sonar eh? hmm are you enabling the plugin on your master bus? How are you using it?

You're not supposed to type in ANYTHING. If connected to the master bus (like a compresor or an EQ plugin) it should automatically pickup the tempo from your host and make the calculations on it's own.

edit:

Just downloading the Sonar 7 demo.. after a lot of wondering 'wot?' (in that manner complete with homer simpson gaze) I figured out how to load a plugin :hihi: and can confirm it does not respond as it should (my plugin).

as its closing in on 3 in the morning at the moment.. I'll have to stop and play with it tommorrow.. don't know if theres anything I can do to fix it but I'd like it to work.. Sonar must not give the tempo in the same way as Orion and Fruity do.. hmmms.

now I'm wondering how this works under Cubase (esp since theres no cubase demo)

This is actually very useful to me. Thanks.

HI Vitamin and thank you very much for that, it's an idea I'm developing too but you were faster!!! ehe he
And really nice done!
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

VitaminD: it doesn't work in Cubase 4. 0.0000 for all values with any tempo.

ahh thanks for the report though.. I suspect if I get it working in Sonar, it will probably work in Cubase (hoping)

I'll play with it some today and see what I can do.

ok I figured out how to get it working in Sonar.

1) First make sure your project isn't outputting to hardware - if its not hitting the master bus, my plugin seems to not get the tempo.
2) Then pres Alt and 3 (that is the Alt key and the 3 key) together to get to Console view
3) Locate Master Bus and in this bus Right Click in the dark square in the middle of the bus
4) Select Audio Effects>dtfc The DTFC gui should now be visible
5) on the DTFC gui, left click on the button at the top labeled VST and then select Plugin Properties
6) Ensure that "Enable as plugin" AND "Configure as tempo-based Effect" are selected (should be a check mark in those boxes) the other boxes below this don't matter.

DTFC should now be reading the correct Tempo and as a result the values for delay time and frequency should now be correct.

I tested this on a few different Sonar projects and it seemed to work over here... let me know if you still have any problems in Sonar.

--------

With Cubase, I think you may want to look into a 'tempo based effect' or 'tempo sync' type option in the Cubase options. Unfortunately, since Steinberg doesn't have any trials of Cubase, I am unable to test with this host. :( I wish Steinberg would get their act together and release one...

got it working in REAPER too (forgot I had it :hihi:)

For REAPER:

1) Press Ctrl and the P keys together to open up the Preferences window
2) go to Audio>Playback options
3) Enable "Run FX when stopped"

Then Insert DTFC into your plugin chain (any channel)

Enjoy. :)

wow! cool, gonna check it out. Thanks VitaminD!
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

no worries. What host are you using?

niiiice!! thanks a lot, very very handy.

Thanks. I was looking for a plugin like this but cound never find one. :D

VitaminD wrote:... let me know if you still have any problems in Sonar.
Nope, that did the trick :).

VitaminD wrote:You're not supposed to type in ANYTHING. If connected to the master bus (like a compresor or an EQ plugin) it should automatically pickup the tempo from your host and make the calculations on it's own.
very cool

Return to “Effects”