Zoom H2 as Audio I/F

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am looking for anyone who has got their H2 working as an audio input device. I would be interested in what entries it shows when it is working in the device manager.

For the life of me I cannot get it to work. What happens with me is that the USB data transfer works fine but when I switch it on the unit to USB Audio I/F Windows detects a USB Composite Device OK and then it detects a H2 Audio device but it cannot find a driver so it just gets added as a question mark.

I tried the recommended steps from the Zoom FAQ with no luck. In the manual it says "The H2 will be recognized as a 2-channel input/output enabled audio interface". Since the unit came with no drivers I presume it uses a standard Windows audio driver. I tried selecting one manually but cannot find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

when you attempt to use the h2 as an interface the stock drivers are loaded up. zoom has not made proper asio drivers for it yet which the h4 has. so in the meantime you can use the h2 as an interface but it will have latency values that are as big as a crappy $20 soundcard. some people have mentioned they are using asio4all with it but i haven't tried that yet.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think my problem actually occurs prior to the ASIO driver stage. To use the asio4all I need to have the H2 device seen as an audio device by Windows but it is not. It is only seen as some 'other device' with the yellow question mark. So until I can get it as an audio device I cannot get the Asio drivers to work.

Try it on another USB port/connector, maybe with another USB cable...
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

I tried another port but not another cable - I will give that a go.

The H4 has some pretty bad latency as well, being USB1.1.

I tried a new cable and yet another usb port without success. It finds and installs drivers for a USB Composite Device and then it finds 'H2 Audio'. After searching for a driver for a while it gives up.

Hi, still hoping there is someone out there who has the H2 working as an audio device. If you do I would be very greatful if you could tell me what entries are added to device manager. Thanks.

Well I never thought to try this but I just tried it under Vista (which I have set up as dual boot) and it worked fine. It found the USB composite device like XP but unlike XP it also found a USB audio device. Did some test recordings and it worked fine. Thing is I do not have all my music stuff on the vista drive and do not want to move to it yet so still got the same problem of trying to get it to work on XP.

I am still keen to solve this. I will battle until I win :) So another call: has anyone got the H2 working as an audio device in WindowsXP?

thanks

Keith99 wrote:I am still keen to solve this. I will battle until I win :) So another call: has anyone got the H2 working as an audio device in WindowsXP?

thanks
i'm facing the exact same problem

maybe it's because i already have an audio interface connected?

Just purchased H2. After reading this thread really felt curious about the issue. Got the thing working from the first attempt - after plugging it in it just appeared in DeviceManager as USB Audio Device. Next step was trying it with Asio4All under Nuendo. It works with the following settings - check "force WDM to 16bit", uncheck two other options, set ASIO buffer to minimum of 96 samples (this setting makes latency about 7.8ms). Unfortunately no big session or MIDI-keyboard at the moment to check it in full extent, but it seemes to work.
Tested on MSI MegaBook (AMD Turion), WinXPProSP2

PS: I've updated my H2 with the latest firmware available on samsontech.com
Last edited by piglet on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So what is different between your setup piglet and mine and boimb? I just dont get the audio device showing up in device manager so none of the later steps are relevant until I can get that to show.

2 Keith99
I think it may depend on a)H2 firmware and b)WinXP built
There is also a trick that you may try - go to DeviceManager, kill all USB Ports and devices, then reboot and try to plug H2 in again. Sometimes it helps with some USB devices.

Hmmm, interesting. On my setup (WinXP, CubaseVST 5.1, asio4all 2.6), asio4all can "see" the H2 but labels it "Beyond Logic". Will have to see about the H2 firmware update (my H2 is about 3 months old). Piglet, what version of asio4all are you using?
"This sentence is true"

(Take that, Epimenides!)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”