A Novation Automap question.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I am using a remote SL 61 or whatever, and I plug an Akai MPD 24 (or similar) into the midi in on it, can I use the knobs on the MPD 24 as additional controllers for automap, or do I have to use them as standard midi knobs just as if I had plugged the MPD straight into the computer?

Good questions. I would like to know too.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

You can use them as additional controllers, but it won't Automap. How could it? There's no way for it to know what it's hooked up to.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It does not make sense to involve Automap in the process, but if you want the CC messages from the Akai to pass through to the Novation to your computer midi in and then on to the DAW / soft-synth then the answer is yes. You would use the Remote SL global menu to configure your midi routing to do that. I assume that because it is in the global menu, the configuration will not change when you change templates.

Automap is just a software wrapper that tells the Remote SL to switch templates when you choose an Automap capable soft synth in your DAW. Switching templates changes the assigned CC messages for each control. The Remote SL or Automap will not translate midi CC messages on the fly. You would have to use some other midi software on your computer to perform that task ... which might be more trouble than it is worth ...

Does that answer your question?

Peace,
Andy.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”