3am+Jazzyspoon=Perception (new mix and instrumental)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did the music, Jazzy did the vox, I wrote the lyrics. Rarely do words accompany me on my musical adventures but this time they just kinda wrote themselves. However, I don't sing well, so I asked our friend Jazzyspoon to help me. Bless his heart, despite being stricken with illness (both the good and bad kind), provided me with a quality recording of his voice. Here is the product of our cooperation...

perception
perception (new mix)
perception instrumental

individual tracks instrumental
vocal tracks
78BPM 4/4 straight through.

Kit:

Sequenced with Numerology and arranged in Live
V-Synth: strings, bass, vox FX, opening atmosphere
MS-2000: synthy percussion
Electribe sampler: drums
Reason4 combi: high, ringing, glitchy FX
Ableton Sampler+Simpler+Drumrack: break beats
Mixed and edited in Pro Tools

The mix isn't perfect but I need some time away from it before I can do it justice. Currently it sounds best at medium volume through speakers.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hi Justin, this track worked out great. yep, its not your cleanest mix. Still, Jazzy's voice is wicked, and the harmony backing it up totally misplaced my sense of reality.

Seriously this is a great trip. Wonderful track mate(s) great effort on both accounts.

:tu: :tu:

Great work.. Love the perc programing.. Some cool vocal work.. This is making me want to do a vocal track, i always avoid it.. Vocals have always been a skeleton in the closet with me.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com

Is there a jaw dropping to the ground emoticon?... I absolutely love this! The words, the music, the vocal (Jazzy, your vox rox!)... I am totally impressed you guys.
Image Image

hey cool - sounds at first listen a bit like Depeche Mode and R2D2 in a tumble dryer...:hihi: I'm gonna listen again at home (on my lappy at the mo with people around, supposed to be working), will comment again. :)

This song was just inspiring. A great instrumental. In fact a great track, with or without my vocals. Thanks for letting me be a part of it and I hope to contribute more effective vocals when I am eventually clear of whatever health issue that has consumed my life this year.
I may even try to pull of my own mix of this track here soon if I can find the time and strength.
(I look forward to any incarnations of this track to come, as well.)

I listened again - really good. Quite melancholy, feels to me that it would benefit from some big f**k off rawk drums in the second half, but I realise that wasn't what you're after...:wink:

I heard that as well.. But hey i'm a drummer i always hear that. Remix time?
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com

Yup, very cool track indeed!
I absolutely LUV the beat/glitch programming. I don't know how you guys come up with all that, I'm amazed and impressed. Wanting to program that kind of fx and beat tracks is mostly the reason why I started hanging at KVRaudio in the first place :-)

As for the mix, it's not that bad! But the bass is a problem on my monitors (Fostex 0.5MKII); that C-note almost halfway in the song is a bit painful and forces me to keep the general volume down. I'm not good with mixing, but I'd compress the bass and keep it down, and compress the vocals and get them up there when they are carrying signicant lyrics. I think :-) Like I said, I'm not good at this, but I am just using my ears and trying to make something out of it.
As for the music, I like it but it gets a bit long IMHO. Would be cool with some part in the middle to break it up a little more. Perhaps something in double tempo, and displace the tonality a little, then return to the "main theme"..?

But mainly: very cool!
Can we have the lyrics? Pliiiis... <:-)

Cheers!
G.

lyrics:

This afternoon,
the clouds that loom
Force me to face the possibility

That tomorrows dawn
will not be long
enough away
Tomorrow's come

my heart beats out
of time again
I plan my day but
along the way

(I lose sync with reality)

I calculate
the time and date
and for delay
I compensate
but every time
that I'm divided
I'm left the only one

The storms are coming the suns going down
I hope your roots are firm in the ground
all the glimmering light showing through
can't see the shadow cast behind you

I wonder aloud
what's behind the shroud
BEHIND thIS veil
of subjectivity

It's time I worn
weather the storm
to wander alone
INto the unknown

Its the only way
at the end of the day
to find the truth
was hidden away

I calculate
the time and date
and for delay
I compensate
but every time
that I'm divided
I'm left the only one

-3AM

Hey thanks guys,

Thanks for the f/b, I had a lot of fun on this. Hopefully I can get a better mix later this weekend. I think the verb is too heavy (to much predelay?), and the vocals stand away from the track in a few parts upon listening to it this morning. Anything you guys heard that I didn't?

Hey, I love big f**k off rawk drums! I just find that they are difficult for me to pull off the way I'd like since I'd just be using Battery. I'll definitely put the files up if people are interested in doing remixes.

Peace,
3am

I like this despite myself, due to the intelligence of the sound design, which is pretty amazing.

Normally I don't like british-sounding people singing. :wink: but this sound is kind of classic, it is what it is exactly, which should be a massive 'collidge radio' smash

Ok NOTE WELL: :!:
what needs to happen is - where these squiggly little percussive trills, right in the middle, orchestral snare rolls/drags doubling those exactly and building.

at 'BEHIND THE VEIL', massive drums/stupido grande tomtom fill (mebbe those ponderous 80's ones, rototoms or whatchamacallit), the Big Beat, Baby

with martial snare filling, too...

and then you can whore this baby out in tha real world.

Thanks Jan! I really enjoyed playing with this conventional "pop" paradigm. I've commented on this before but I feel it's pertinent here... I did less in terms of twisting beats and druged out sound design than I normally would but since there is a more traditional structure and vocal style the wierdness that is there stands out more.

I think that when you play with conventional ideas it tends to jar people more than stuff that is completely experimental because of ..."perspective". haha!

I do really like the idea of some big John Bonham drums in the part at the end, done tastefully though 'cause tht part is already pretty full.

Thanks for listening.

justin3am wrote: I do really like the idea of some big John Bonham drums in the part at the end, done tastefully though 'cause tht part is already pretty full.

Thanks for listening.
Send me a mix & a click/BPM and it will be done..

how 'bout some big ole Phil Collins in the air tonight drums :hihi:

wonderful stuff guys. I love the sounds and pacing work together.
:)
..what goes around comes around..

Return to “Music Cafe”